Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The covers!! Ditch the covers!!

She has enough of a big back catalogue, both solo and with Fleetwood Mac, to fill a setlist of her own material. She's also overlooked over half of her solo career in her live sets for over 16 years. Even songs that were big hits get ignored.

I get that people want to hear "the hits", but bring out a few deep cuts each tour instead of random covers and balance that with the crowd pleasers.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
There are a couple I hope she leaves out, but #1 on my list would be Whole Lotta Trouble. Hate that song!
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Lady. Proverbial nails on a chalkboard and it just drones on and on...
And agreed.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-22-2016, 08:22 AM
Registered

I would gladly take lady over her sleep walking through landslide or any of the other fillers used over the past 30 years
Old 09-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, you don't seem to like many of her hits! Although I know some have been overexposed, Talk to Me and If Anyone Falls don't fall in that category... she's taken those two songs a break plenty of times.
Bwboy, you got me all wrong. Just because I don't want to hear her perform "the hits" it doesn't mean I hate those songs. Let me make something clear: If Anyone Falls, Stand Back and Edge of Seventeen are among my favorites of her solo work. It's just that I would love to see her bring out deep album cuts and/or rarities.

She could swap If Anyone Falls with Bella Donna, Edge of Seventeen with The Wild Heart, and Stand Back with Sleeping Angel.

The only song in my list that I don't like at all is Talk to Me. I Could never get into that one.

Sorry for giving the wrong impression.

Last edited by ~*BellaDonna*~; 09-22-2016 at 09:59 AM..
Old 09-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also hope she leaves out Gold Dust Woman, Gold and Braid, and I Need To Know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
I'd be over the moon if she replaced Gold and Braid with The Wild Heart.
You're both making these statements as if "Gold And Braid" was a constant staple in her solo tours. She hasn't performed it live in over 18 years. And before that, 15 years. It was only performed during the "Bella Donna" tour, a handful of "Wild Heart" shows and the "Enchanted" tour. Don't get me wrong, though. I love the song but it's such a "time capsule" tune that I really only equate with "Bella Donna". The "Enchanted" tour version paled in comparison and it's not a song I'd like to hear live ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I wouldn't lose too much sleep worrying about her singing "Talk to Me" (or SOTM for that matter).
Quote:
I just hope that SOTM isn't a song that she decides to clear the dust of off. She can't sing that song with the same intensity as she used to.
I doubt "Sisters Of The Moon" will EVER appear in a Stevie Nicks solo set. She's said many times it's a Fleetwood Mac signature song. Even when Jim Ladd suggested she perform it in Vegas, she "humored" him that it was an interesting suggestion, but of course it never happened. and you're right, BellaDonna, the song has lost a lot of its intensity on stage these days...but then she's in her late 60's and not under the influence of a lot of drugs anymore so there's that. I could list several more songs that have also lost that "intensity" from her wild, youthful, drug fueled days.

Agreed that she should NEVER do cover songs in her live shows anymore. "Rock And Roll" went on for TOO MANY tours! And "Circle Dance" and "Face The Promise" were two songs that were not only boring, but nobody knew what they were unless they were hardcore Bonnie Raitt and Bob Seger fans. Stevie's all about performing "deep cuts" of other artists' catalogs...but not her own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Lady. Proverbial nails on a chalkboard and it just drones on and on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
I would gladly take lady over her sleep walking through landslide or any of the other fillers used over the past 30 years
This one's a touchy subject for me. I think the album version is sublime and beautiful (HATED the music video, though) - but I'm in agreement that it doesn't translate live very well at all due to her propensity to BELT OUT most of her songs these days. The Tonite Show performance was difficult to watch. However, like Olive stated, I'd take it above the exceedingly over-performed songs like "Landslide" or "Gold Dust Woman".

I think she needs to give "Enchanted" and "If Anyone Falls" a rest. They've been a couple of her "go-to" live songs for quite a while now because they're easy for her. Hopefully she can find a nice vocal/musical arrangement of "Wild Heart" that will be both easy on her voice and majestic for the audience...but I also wouldn't mind it if she added a few more songs from the "Wild Heart" album to her set list, whether on this upcoming tour or for future tours. "Nothing Ever Changes" would be nice and can you imagine if she EVER pulled out "Sable On Blonde" for a live show? I'd die a happy Stevie fanatic!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bwboy, you got me all wrong. Just because I don't want to hear her perform "the hits" it doesn't mean I hate those songs. Let me make something clear: If Anyone Falls, Stand Back and Edge of Seventeen are among my favorites of her solo work. It's just that I would love to see her bring out deep album cuts and/or rarities.

She could swap If Anyone Falls with Bella Donna, Edge of Seventeen with The Wild Heart, and Stand Back with Sleeping Angel.

The only song in my list that I don't like at all is Talk to Me. I Could never get into that one.

Sorry for giving the wrong impression.
Gotcha, BellaDonna, thanks for clearing that up. Your list makes total sense now.

Sorry you don't care for Talk to Me. That has always been one of my all time favorite Stevie songs. Even though she didn't write it, she sings it with a lot of passion and intensity. It's actually the song that made me a Stevie fan, from the first time I heard it on the radio.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
"Songs you hope Stevie WON'T sing on her new tour"....

1) Gold Dust Woman (give it a rest)
2) Whole Lotta Trouble
3) Soldier's Angel
4) Fall From Grace
5) No Spoken Word
6) Mabel Normand
7) I Don't Care
8) If You Were My Love
9) She Still Loves Him
10) Talk To Me
11) Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You
I agree with Soldier's Angel. Only because she mentioned in a recent interview that she wanted to or had to sing this one. I appreciate the thought and the sentiment of the song and understand it's significance to Stevie. But I saw her perform this on the tour with Rod Stewart and it brought the entire show to a halt. Everyone was like - WTF. It just really stymied all of the energy and enthusiasm and killed all the excitement in the venue.

I want to have fun and be happy and escape from the world and my everyday problems when I go to a show. I don't want to listen to a slow clunky song about war and wounded soldiers for entertainment.

If she needs a slow ballad, bring back HAEWAFY. I know we heard it for years, but it's been gone a while. Or even Beauty and the Beast. I will cringe if she does Soldier's Angel again.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
You're both making these statements as if "Gold And Braid" was a constant staple in her solo tours. She hasn't performed it live in over 18 years. And before that, 15 years. It was only performed during the "Bella Donna" tour, a handful of "Wild Heart" shows and the "Enchanted" tour. Don't get me wrong, though. I love the song but it's such a "time capsule" tune that I really only equate with "Bella Donna". The "Enchanted" tour version paled in comparison and it's not a song I'd like to hear live ever again.

I doubt "Sisters Of The Moon" will EVER appear in a Stevie Nicks solo set. She's said many times it's a Fleetwood Mac signature song. Even when Jim Ladd suggested she perform it in Vegas, she "humored" him that it was an interesting suggestion, but of course it never happened. and you're right, BellaDonna, the song has lost a lot of its intensity on stage these days...but then she's in her late 60's and not under the influence of a lot of drugs anymore so there's that. I could list several more songs that have also lost that "intensity" from her wild, youthful, drug fueled days.

Agreed that she should NEVER do cover songs in her live shows anymore. "Rock And Roll" went on for TOO MANY tours! And "Circle Dance" and "Face The Promise" were two songs that were not only boring, but nobody knew what they were unless they were hardcore Bonnie Raitt and Bob Seger fans. Stevie's all about performing "deep cuts" of other artists' catalogs...but not her own?

This one's a touchy subject for me. I think the album version is sublime and beautiful (HATED the music video, though) - but I'm in agreement that it doesn't translate live very well at all due to her propensity to BELT OUT most of her songs these days. The Tonite Show performance was difficult to watch. However, like Olive stated, I'd take it above the exceedingly over-performed songs like "Landslide" or "Gold Dust Woman".

I think she needs to give "Enchanted" and "If Anyone Falls" a rest. They've been a couple of her "go-to" live songs for quite a while now because they're easy for her. Hopefully she can find a nice vocal/musical arrangement of "Wild Heart" that will be both easy on her voice and majestic for the audience...but I also wouldn't mind it if she added a few more songs from the "Wild Heart" album to her set list, whether on this upcoming tour or for future tours. "Nothing Ever Changes" would be nice and can you imagine if she EVER pulled out "Sable On Blonde" for a live show? I'd die a happy Stevie fanatic!
I don't really see how I'm in the wrong regarding Gold and Braid. Yes, I do realize she hardly ever performs it live, but it's one I've never really cared for. I hope she doesn't bring it out.

However, I agree with you about SOTM. I think it was fairly wrong of me to include it in my list.

And, yes, she should totally bring out Nothing Ever Changes, Sable on Blonde as well as Nightbird. They are some of the strongest tracks on The Wild Heart.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofnothing View Post
I agree with Soldier's Angel. Only because she mentioned in a recent interview that she wanted to or had to sing this one. I appreciate the thought and the sentiment of the song and understand it's significance to Stevie. But I saw her perform this on the tour with Rod Stewart and it brought the entire show to a halt. Everyone was like - WTF. It just really stymied all of the energy and enthusiasm and killed all the excitement in the venue.

I want to have fun and be happy and escape from the world and my everyday problems when I go to a show. I don't want to listen to a slow clunky song about war and wounded soldiers for entertainment.

If she needs a slow ballad, bring back HAEWAFY. I know we heard it for years, but it's been gone a while. Or even Beauty and the Beast. I will cringe if she does Soldier's Angel again.
Priest of Nothing, you are correct. I also witnessed the traffic accident that is "Soldier's Angel" being played by Stevie as an opening act on the Rod Stewart Tour. She was doing a fantastic job pumping up the crowd when suddenly, the awkward exorcism that IS "Soldier's Angel" moved the show to surviving on life support. What's more, Stewart's crowd wasn't quite sure what to make of it......they were, quite frankly, dumbfounded. It definitely goes in the record books as most awkward concert moment. Many just stood there in shock for a moment, and then began to head to the restroom or bar. Girl, EVEN I NEEDED a drink after that. Once has to wonder what The High Priestess was thinking by inserting that calamity into the HEART AND SOUL Set List. Can we please give The Soldiers Angels a rest?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Soldier's Angel
Outside the Rain
Dreams
Landslide
Sorcerer
Rock and Roll
Leather and Lace
Stop Draggin
New Orleans
Has Anyone
How Still My Love
Old 09-23-2016, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I rather hear sing cover I like and enjoy.
I would love to hear her sing this classic 1970's R&B tune.

Joss Stone did fantastic on this Sylvia tune.

I will melt in bed.LOL........................................

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1) Any cover except Free Falling since she did her own version of it
2) Soldier's Angel
3) Freedom
4) Beauty & The Beast
5) Anything from Street Angel except Maybe Love, Greta, and Listen To The Rain
6) I Don't Care
7) Bombay Sapphire
8) Storms

I can tolerate but still would rather she also skip:

9) Bella Donna
10) The Highway Man
11) Cheaper Than Free
12) My Little Saviour
13) It's Late
14) I Will Run To You

I would love Whole Lotta Trouble as well as Touched By An Angel, If You Ever Did Believe, Love Changes, Sister Honey, and Whenever I Call You Friend.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNicksfann View Post

I would love Whole Lotta Trouble as well as Touched By An Angel, If You Ever Did Believe, Love Changes, Sister Honey, and Whenever I Call You Friend.
i have never gotten past the first word in both touched by an angel and If You Ever Did Believe, I hit skip on my ipod I have never be able to listen to those 2 songs
Old 09-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Junior Ledgie

IYEDB just came on my ipod yesterday and was just thinking she would kill it live! I would die if she finally performed that song live... or even Crystal for that matter
Old 09-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I could really do without Crash and lets hope she doesn't dust that off.