The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Miley Cyris singing Landslide at her concert isnt too bad but its annoying that she has to look at her phone for the lyrics. I love that the young kids know all the words though! Jezebel is like Perez Hilton where they always are posting Stevie related stuff. If you click the link they have a video of Tori Amos doing a cover of the song too. I never heard this one.

http://jezebel.com/miley-cyrus-cover...ium=socialflow
Old 03-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Another Interview!

I think this is separate from what was shown on Today. Sorry, I am working and didn't catch that interview live, just saw a transcript.
This is from USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...istry/6842143/
Old 03-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Junior Ledgie

Wow. That's brave of Miley. Braver than getting naked on a demolition ball anyway. On the subject of covers, I recently covered Gold Dust Woman, stripped back acoustic. I'm amazed at how many people have told me they've never heard this song before! Obviously not crazed Fleetwod fans, but still, people who claim to like like them were surprised by it. Was it such an obscure choice for a cover? After Hole? (awesome version in my opinion)

Anyway here's mine and my bands version, if you want to check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbO_xVPmrBM :-)
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up

Very good cover of GDW! Love the acoustic style and the sound was very clear. Love how you put your own spin on this classic song to make it your own.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Maybe not...

....a MacNugget but as I listen to GYOW on VERY high volume in the car on my way home from Work, singing along like crazy being all giddery and happy that all five of the Mac is back together.....that all changes as I get pulled over by the Police and receives a $300 speeding ticket. GREAT!!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1980 View Post
....a MacNugget but as I listen to GYOW on VERY high volume in the car on my way home from Work, singing along like crazy being all giddery and happy that all five of the Mac is back together.....that all changes as I get pulled over by the Police and receives a $300 speeding ticket. GREAT!!!!
Oh no. $300. That's awful. Hope it doesn't hurt your insurance premium too. Michele
Old 03-31-2014, 11:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh no. $300. That's awful. Hope it doesn't hurt your insurance premium too. Michele
Luckily it doesn't Work that way in Sweden. It only affects me in the way that I have to cough up the money
Old 04-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 04-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Last night on American Idol....

Caleb and Jessica sang Stop Draggin' My Heart Around.

And....Jessica sang Rhiannon a couple of weeks ago.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Steve Coogan apparently uses FM as part of a comedy bit]

Gulf News, April 6, 2014

http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainme...idge-1.1314969

In Alan Partridge, in US theatres on Friday after its release last year in the UK, Coogan’s unparalleled comic creation makes his big screen debut after years of TV series, specials, a stage show, a web series and a memoir. In the film, where a fired colleague takes his radio station hostage, Partridge (when not introducing Fleetwood Mac as “soft-rock cocaine enthusiasts”) effectively hosts the siege, performing for news cameras and onlookers.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Big band feuds

From bands of brothers who can’t stand each other to massive egos fighting for creative control to musicians behaving badly due to drugs and booze, here’s a rundown of some of the messiest internal fighting in music. Who did we miss?
http://blog.sfgate.com/dailydish/201...ds/#22212101=0
Fleetwood Mac is slide #3
Old 04-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article on Lydia Loveless]

By Frank Valish, Under the Radar Magazine, April 10, 2014

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/inte...r_love_of_cla/

Or albums that you were maybe listening to or perhaps are important for you. Personally, I hear some Elvis Costello in the first song and one song sounds like Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams." I wondered what your take on that was.

Yeah, I would say Rumours was a big influence. This is weird, but it was something that I was listening to a lot: Hot Buttered Soul [Isaac Hayes' 1969 album]. "Hurt So Bad" was kind of a take on that. But I was thinking about classic musicians and bands. Another weird one was Blue Oyster Cult. I was listening to that and thinking, "Wow, this is awesome. I just want to make a badass rock album." And I think I kind of accomplished that.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[FM mentioned in this Guardian article from October 13]

Paul Lester , theguardian.com, Wednesday 23 October 2013 07.52 EDT
http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...heinous-to-hip

The musical evolution of cool: from heinous to hip

Whether it's Phil Collins or Fleetwood Mac, acts that used to be a joke are now being hailed as gods, says Paul Lester

Inspiring covers is one thing; but actually exerting an influence is quite another. Queen have been newly accepted by the criterati but they haven't – pace the Darkness, and maybe some of Muse's output – influenced any bands. Who sounds like Queen? On the other hand, Fleetwood Mac have had the double-whammy seal of latterday approval: they've had journalists fawning all over them, and countless groups (Haim being the most successful example) striving to replicate that deathlessly immaculate west-coast-pop sound. I've been writing the New Band of the Day column for six and a half years and I'd venture that the most frequently cited influence – way more than the Beatles, Stones or the Velvets – would be the Mac, although I'd concede that this might be because I seek out purveyors of deathlessly immaculate west coast pop.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[The record companies sue Pandora. FM is among the artists whose music royalties are at issue]

U.S. music labels sue Pandora over royalties for golden oldies
By Joseph Ax - Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A3G2F920140417

NEW YORK Thu Apr 17, 2014

(Reuters) - Several major U.S. music companies sued Pandora Media Inc on Thursday, accusing the online streaming service of cheating them out of royalties by playing thousands of pre-1972 recordings without paying royalties.

The music in question, from musicians such as the Beatles, Louis Armstrong, Marvin Gaye and Fleetwood Mac, is "some of the most iconic music in the world," the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit, filed in New York state court in Manhattan, seeks unspecified damages and an immediate halt to Pandora's "massive and continuing unauthorized commercial exploitation" of older songs.

The plaintiffs include Vivendi SA's Capitol Records Inc and UMG Recordings Inc, Sony Corp's Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group Corp and ABKCO Music & Records Inc.

Pandora did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Federal copyright law does not apply to pre-1972 recordings, but the plaintiffs say New York state law provides copyright protection for such recordings.

"Pandora's refusal to pay plaintiffs for its use of those recordings is fundamentally unfair," the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit is not the first to seek fees from digital music companies for pre-1972 recordings.

Last year, for instance, a U.S. nonprofit that collects digital royalties for musicians, SoundExchange, filed a federal lawsuit in Washington, D.C., against satellite radio company Sirius XM Holdings Inc that includes claims of underpayment regarding pre-1972 recordings. The lawsuit remains pending.

Royalties represent a major expense for Pandora, currently amounting to approximately half of its annual revenue, and keeping them from increasing is crucial to the company's business.

"If we are required to obtain licenses for pre-1972 sound recordings to avoid liability and are unable to secure such licenses, then we may have to remove pre-1972 sound recordings from our service, which could harm our ability to attract and retain users," the company said in a regulatory filing in February.

In an unrelated case in March, a federal judge in New York declined to alter the rate that Pandora pays to songwriters to license their music, following a nonjury trial that pitted the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers against Pandora.

The case is Capitol Records et al v Pandora Media Inc, New York State Supreme Court, New York County, No. 651195/2014.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
"If we are required to obtain licenses for pre-1972 sound recordings to avoid liability and are unable to secure such licenses, then we may have to remove pre-1972 sound recordings from our service, which could harm our ability to attract and retain users," the company said in a regulatory filing in February.
Another way of saying they don't mind stealing music from artists to promote their own website. If they can't secure the licenses, they shouldn't be allowed to play or sell the songs.