User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

L. A. Weekly restaurant review

http://www.laweekly.com/2014-06-05/e...nal-in-venice/

Hibler has expanded the Superba brand, with a large new restaurant a few blocks away on Lincoln, at Marco Place. A former auto body shop, Superba Food and Bread has been opened up and glassed in so that it feels as if the building is made of pure air and light — an accomplishment made all the more impressive by the jumbled urban streetscape just outside its door. The bones of the building and the materials used for infrastructure provide almost the only decoration, though presiding over the room is an image of Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood — the photo from the cover of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album, which takes up an entire wall.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 06-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a Repair LP guide on Ifixit.org] June 20, 2014

http://ifixit.org/blog/6541/record-repair/

For the Record: How I Saved My Vinyl Album from My Cat

Consider yourself warned: Cats are insidious—and they insist on being adorable at the same time. So you can’t even get mad at them. What jerks… fluffy, adorable jerks.

The other day, I came home, walked through the door, and found my feline friend sleeping on my couch. He yawned and sat up—and underneath him I spotted a vinyl record. And not just any vinyl. My Fleetwood Mac Rumors album. The album that I listened to over and over again as a teen. The album that sang me through countless hours of physics homework and hopeless teen love.

Apparently, my cat’s butt puts out heat roughly equivalent to the forges of Mt. Doom. Because when I lifted Nimbus away from my album, I discovered that his butt shape remained in the vinyl. It was warped.

I won’t lie. I was upset. Sure, I was the one to leave it on the couch after a late night nostalgia session. And sure, my cat has no idea what vinyl is or any idea of the importance of classic rock and roll. But that album was part of my adolescence. This was part of my thirteen-year-old soul.

But, it couldn’t be that bad, right? I placed the album on the turntable. The pitch of Nicks and Buckingham waivered out as the record wobbled through the song. It was the day the music died.

Regaining my composure, my fixer spirit kicked in. I had to fix it—I just needed to know how. So I rang up a friend of mine (who has an awesome vinyl collection) and he told me just what to do. Turns out all you need to un-warp a record are some glass plates and a stove. So, I grabbed my vinyl and got to work. Along the way, I took some photos. And I made a guide, which is now publicly available on iFixit.

I did it for everyone who has ever commented on how much warmer vinyl sounds. I did it for everyone who knows every word to “Second Hand News.” I did it for every person who has a crate of old vinyl just waiting to be rediscovered. I did it for you—because if we keep fixing, yesterday doesn’t have to be gone.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just had a brand new cultured stone shower installed in my master bathroom, and it is sooooooo nice. The two-man crew was here all day, and each came up to me separately to talk about how great Stevie and the Mac were and are. (Being in my bedroom lets everybody know right away I'm a fan.)
Old 07-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Top Ten Macs, Columbus Alive

By Brad Keefe & Jesse Tigges From the July 17, 2014 edition

http://www.columbusalive.com/content...p-10-macs.html

With Canadian singer-songwriter Mac DeMarco coming to Skully’s this week, we’re counting down our favorite Macs ever. (We had to disqualify our editor Justin McIntosh due to professional conflicts, but he knows we love him.)

10. Big Mac

The iconic McDonald’s burger is more than 40 years old, but everyone, every now and again, gets an odd craving for this two all-beef patties, special sauce slathered monstrosity.

9. Macintosh computers

Let’s settle the Mac vs. PC debate. For ease of use and great product design, once you go Mac, you never go back.

8. Little Mac

As your avatar in “Mike Tyson’s Punch Out,” Little Mac — despite his diminutive stature — held his own with the world’s top fighters. We always got special enjoyment out of kicking Soda Popinski’s ass; he was a total tool.

7. Mac’s Café

The Short North haunt has been slinging suds and pub grub for years. If you haven’t had their scotch egg, drop everything and go to Mac’s now. No seriously, drop everything now.

6. Fleetwood Mac

Rumours. That is all.

5. Cindy “Mac” Mackenzie

Veronica Mars’ computer-hacker bestie proved to be a valuable part of the mystery-solving team and a great friend.

4. R.P. McMurphy

The protagonist of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” — indelibly portrayed by Jack Nicholson on film — was known as Mac to his friends when he led the insurrection against Nurse Ratched.

3. Bernie Mac

This Chicago-born standup comedian was truly one of the best of all-time. You’re missed, Bernie.

2. Mac ’n cheese

The term “comfort food” may be obnoxious and overused, but the best example still hits the spot every time, especially if you’ve moved on from the boxed Kraft stuff.

1. Mac from “Always Sunny”

To become the muscle in the gang on “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” Mac had to reinvent himself — wearing a duster — after being stuck with Ronald McDonald as his true name. And let’s give Mac credit where credit’s due — he invented the Dick Towel! Pure genius.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From the Midnight Special. That's a beautiful sounding band] Philebrity.com 7.25.2014

http://www.philebrity.com/2014/07/25...fleetwood-mac/

Here’s Dearly Departed Philly Goofball David Brenner Introducing Some Band Called Fleetwood Mac

http://www.philebrity.com/2014/07/25...fleetwood-mac/

Though sadly, Brenner left this earthly plane earlier this year, we can at least rejoice a little that the Mac — with Christine McVie in tact — will be back in Philly later this year. She makes lovin’ fun.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Look at how they forced Lindsey to use that pick! He has been in therapy ever since. My poor guy. It's 1975. You still have time. Please deliver him from those cretins, before it's too late.

Michele
Old 08-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Not sure if we've seen this before. Silver Springs is the 9th best B-side.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/b-sides/
Old 08-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Las Vegas Weekly's suggestions for Celine replacements] August 15, 2014

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2...see-colosseum/

Fleetwood Mac

There have been many eras, but with Christine McVie back in the band and a new album in the works that reportedly gives even its makers chills, it’s the perfect time for Fleetwood Mac to bring some gravitas to the Strip. Let them tour the world, then bring them to Caesars' elegant room, where there's space enough to hold all the ways they haunt us.—Erin Ryan
Old 08-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Las Vegas Weekly's suggestions for Celine replacements] August 15, 2014

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2...see-colosseum/

Fleetwood Mac

There have been many eras, but with Christine McVie back in the band and a new album in the works that reportedly gives even its makers chills, it’s the perfect time for Fleetwood Mac to bring some gravitas to the Strip. Let them tour the world, then bring them to Caesars' elegant room, where there's space enough to hold all the ways they haunt us.—Erin Ryan

OMG! NOoooooo!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article about a Philly theater festival, describing some of the events]

Philly.com by Chuck Darrow, September 5, 2014

http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta...ing_today.html

I is for "It Was All Downhill After Fleetwood Mac," Brian Shapiro's one-man reminiscence about the years when his father was the attorney for the powerhouse 1970s pop-rock band.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta...uMoPgldLkDb.99
Old 09-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fringe Review

Philadelphia City Paper by Mark Cofta, 9-10-2014

http://citypaper.net/article.php?Fri...wood-Mac-21109

It Was All Downhill After Fleetwood Mac, by Brian Shapiro

Attended: Tues. Sept. 9, 8 p.m., Paris Wine Bar; closes Sat. Sept. 20, 2 p.m.

My father was catapulted into the center of the L.A. entertainment industry universe, and I was taken along for a ride.

WE THINK: Much of Brian Shapiro's description of Life with Father is fascinating and fun, albeit a little sad. It's "my story about the stories my father told and sold," he explains, "not just to those around him, but to himself." Shapiro the Elder achieved fortune and notoriety managing the historic rise of Fleetwood Mac, but never reached that level again, despite desperate-stab projects with hair bands, Carrie Wilson, Pat Boone and a (thankfully) failed effort to televise Texas executions.

Growing up spending weekends in Dad's jet-fuelled world and weekdays at Mom and Stepdad's house, where "life was lived at a slightly different pace," must have been dizzying and depressing.

Unfortunately — despite a program note assuring us that "what's missing will not matter" — Shapiro leaves out a lot of personal material for unclear reasons. His mother gets only that one mention, and his father's personality never emerges; he talks about learning from his failures, but doesn't explain what they were. His program bio, which I read afterward, reveals an adulthood of success that's never hinted at in the show — the last we know, he was a failed roadie in his early 20's. And what happened to Dad, where is he now?

Nevertheless, it's a fun 65-minute romp, with a performance smartly sculpted by director Kelly Jennings, who varies the pace and expertly blends song snippets and a Power Point presentation into the monologue. A section we're told is better read than heard is especially fun, because Brian is free to wordlessly comment with sounds — "mmmm," "aaahh"— and arched eyebrows as we scan each revelation. Here too, though, what's missing jars: a few pictures of young Brian, but none of Dad or his four wives (the last three, young trophy wives whom he promised he would make into stars — I'd love to have seen them). For a show detailing the fact that the speaker lived an extraordinary life, generic pics of the Hollywood sign and the Golden Gate Bridge are less than compelling.

Shapiro tells his story with a microphone, which seems unnecessary in a 35-seat venue but aids the high-energy smarmy Hollywood persona that he uses to describe Dad's excesses — but then smartly drops the artifice, and the mic, at the end, finally becoming a real person in the room with us. The time seems right for open confession, but Shapiro stills leaves us wondering, and wanting more.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a review of a katy Perry concert in the Oregonian 9/13/2014

9. At one point, two of her musicians donned harnesses and were tugged into the air for a guitar duel as sparks blasted from their instruments. You won't see that at the Fleetwood Mac concert, though I'd sure like to.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[from an article about the tv show Friends, uh the guy refers to Friends as the tv show that was famously about nothing. You've got your NBC sitcoms mixed up buddy]

Sep 27 2014 03:26:06

Sept. 27 (The Herald) -- FAMOUSLY a show about nothing, Friends took a whole lot of nothing and turned it into something: something enduring, sentimental, ingrained and loved.

Despite the modest hoopla about the show's latest milestones - the 10th anniversary of its final episode and 20th anniversary of the first episode - it's not something I've watched in a long time. Sure, the last three of my own friends I've been to visit have had full box sets nestled on bottom shelves, but it's a show perched in the recesses of my mind - Rachel's hair, Ross's marriages, Phoebe's evil twin, who on earth were all those people in the party scenes?

It turned out Friends and I were just on a break. To mark the anniversary, one of the Sky channels began running the show from pilot episode right through to finale. I was hooked.

Watching Friends as a Lanarkshire teenager gave life a little bit of promise: one day we could live in New York City, one day we could have a steady income without seeming to actually work, we could be glamorous, we could drink coffee. And friendship would give us all this. One's 20s seemed impossibly far away and so all that was realistically impossible, or at least improbable, seemed attainable. With 10 years to play with we could absolutely have a chic apartment and a handsome date every other weekend.

Watching Friends as an adult, an adult who never made the move to Greenwich Village, the show still resonates: Rachel is no longer an aspiration but a peer, exploring relationships, carving out careers, settling down - all things that resonate and will always resonate, and perhaps which explain the 77,700 Friends DVDs sold in the UK last year.

Rewatching Friends, I remembered something about the show: it's really funny. In that way, it's the Fleetwood Mac of television. A collective with a cult fanbase large enough to keep it touring and, while it's touring, allow new fans to discover its quirks and foibles and that it's surprisingly good.

It was good at representing those weird and unexpected moments in life. The unexpected comments from friends who should know better, life's many tiny embarrassments that no one's there to see (Rachel: "I sat down where there wasn't a chair."), the moments help comes from unusual places.

Yes, it's sentimental, but for a country practising its stoicism, sentimental is good. Yes, it's innocent - no swearing, no sexting, no nudity - and fairly twee but that makes it comfortable. Co- creator Marta Kauffman said of the

show: "Friends was about that time in your life when your
friends are your family and once you have a family, there's no need any more."
I wonder if that's the key to its success: that comparable television now is about relationships, not friendship and friendship is where real interest lies. There's a million and one representations of love but where do you go to learn the secrets of friendship?

Romance only runs so far. Successful romances do not successful television make - the thrill's in the chase. Viewers want to see successful friendships but we don't care much for happy couples because, be honest, happy couples are boring couples.

Friends, making this point, sends its characters into a more mature phase of life, happy marriage and delighted parenthood, and ends. Friends is still the bellwether depiction of being twentysomething. Hitting its own 20s, it still holds up for telling the universal story of the incremental successes of your 20s that carry you on to your 30s - working hard, scraping along, working harder, scraping less, falling out, falling in, loving widely, getting sacked, owning a pet monkey.

But then, as aspirational as it is, it's only a television programme. As Joey would say, it's a moo point.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

this just came up in my twitter
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1227074917097

great songs you wouldn't recognize from their demo

and in at number 16:

16. FLEETWOOD MAC: DREAMS
And some songs are just perfect from the get-go. We give you Stephanie Lynn Nicks, genius.

{link to Dreams demo}

Most clever sever: the whole `70s soft rock touch certainly made it more radio friendly but this version is a whole lot of `wow’.