Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Your preference
Rename something referring to 1967-1974 16 61.54%
Don't bother 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Rename this space?

It just occurs to me that 'Pre-Runours' is maybe not the best title for the original and '70s lineups of Fleetwood Mac. Can anything be done? What titles sound better?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
It just occurs to me that 'Pre-Runours' is maybe not the best title for the original and '70s lineups of Fleetwood Mac. Can anything be done? What titles sound better?
The Real and Original Fleetwood Mac Forum?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

The Early Years
Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default too confusing!

The problem with the name is that it does not describe the fact that the original forum people were more concerned with the part of the group with the huge fan base (the Buckingham Nicks era)
the fascinating part of Fleetwood mac is that it had gone through more metamorphic changes than your garden variety bug.

Thie pre rumors era had

Peter green's Fleetwood Mac featuring Jeremy Spencer which was ostensibly a straight up Blues Band.

The addition of Danny Kirwan and the influence of San francisco brought the Jam band into existence., that some have labeled the "Vaudville Years"

after the departure of Green then Spencer you get lost in the wilderness followed by a band with an identity crisis existing simultaneously with a fake band, A few pop bands lineups with different vibes.

all of this under one catch all name.
But if you separated each part out you would not have even less traffic than you do now.
At least this way there is seemingly more activity.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, a lot of variety under one umbrella. But Pre-Rumours is a bit like someone from the U.S. who refers to people as Non-Americans even when talking about Canadians or Mexicans.

I think The Early Years is less patronizing and sounds good.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile U.S. vs. THEM

I hear you.

As an (ahem) defacto american I can't be responsible for Miley Cyrus, the invasion of Iraq (OK you can insert the country of your choice here) and slavery all at the same time, but I can say that as I child of 13 I was blown away by Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and Charlie Patton by some lucky chance. I sought out Peter Green because I heard of his, then legendary prowess on the electric guitar. by 17 I was learning how he did what he did on "Watch Out" and was thinking that this was the first white player who really understood what he was listening to, and then was able to put it in a sentence (borrowing from how you learn a word).

When I heard the Buckingham Nicks FM I thought, Hey Fleetwood Mac is still a band? Interesting music , the rhythm section sounds familiar, who's in it?

the name could be: The inception and the middle years...or something. The fact is that after PG DK and JS left it was (a) different band(s) and yet they are lumped in a catch all. But I agree that Pre rumors does disservice to its auspicious beginnings.
Although recent evidence shows that there are still Neanderthals walking around with everybody else. Are they "Pre Humans"?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think The Early Years is less patronizing and sounds good.
I guess I don't really care that much about what the forum is called, but I can't argue with this, becca. It sure sounds better than the current name. Both you and Vinnie make some good points.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On the other hand if it might be a technical problem to change things, or risk losing the old posts...

I did think the name might be off-putting to the most blues oriented fans.

I remember when the 1975 album came into the household and how it took me a few years to connect the band name to the copy of Then Play On we also had around. I have to admit I had that original group mentally sorted as being next to Creedence Clearwater, whereas the new group was totally separate and in with '70s Chilliwack, Wings and Heart, and yes, early Abba, which we also had. Although I heard some Bob Welch era stuff on the radio I didn't catch onto the name then.

As for white blues guys(gals), I am just getting seriously into Lonnie Mack and Roy Buchanan finally! Always someone new to discover: there is some later Jo-Ann Kelly playing I am amazed by too! (rip)

My bf has been on some kind of quest involving Stick McGhee, and I am proud to have turned him on to Tiny Grimes from before there was a major magazine article about that pioneering electric guitarist. Peter had/has the feel, he just gets it.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My bf has been on some kind of quest involving Stick McGhee
Drinkin' Wine Spo-dee-o-dee! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37avLRywxGQ
Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

It's not so much the name to me, just wish we had a non Rumours section for all other FM members (i.e. pre & post as one forum). JMHO though.

John
Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sticks Mcghee

He is the brother of Brownie.
Richard Thompson rated Wine Spo-dee-o-dee as one of the 20 greatest songs of the last thousand years. It might of been tonge in cheek but I do know it was the favorite of Ahmet Ertigun. Allegedly he would ask Eric Clapton to play it all the time at parties that they were at together.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Several things I noticed here...

First, Pre Rumours to me is really two primary lineups, the first one led by Peter and then the second one lead by Bob Welch. I noticed not alot of Ledgies overlap those lineups. As a mater a fact, I'd say the Welch led-Mac are more in line with the Rumours era Mac.

Second, Peter's solo forum gets very little activity.

So how about renaming Peter's solo forum "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" focusing on the early blues era of FM. Peter's solo forum would be dissolved into this new forum. Then, the second forum formerly know as Pre-Rumours be for the Welch led-Mac called "The Bob Welch Era".

Same number of forums would be used...
Pre-Rumours = "The Bob Welch Era"
Peter Green solo careeer = "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac"
Old 09-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
My suggestion would be:

The Early Years, 1967 - 1974.

It covers everyone from Peter through Bob Welch and is a respectful nod to that era instead of patronizing it as "pre-Rumours".

Strictly my suggestion and I would not be the least offended if it was left as is as that's what everyone on the forum is already familiar with.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I agree that Pre-Rumours is perhaps slightly irritating in its bias towards one particular band lineup, with everything else being discussed relative to that. The Early Years would suit me fine, too.

Although I'd get more of a kick out of changing the "Rumours" forum name to "Post-Mystery to Me" personally.

ETA: D'oh! I suppose you should make that Post-Heroes are Hard to Find. Although I prefer to forget that particular album.

Last edited by Dex; 09-01-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Old 09-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
ETA: D'oh! I suppose you should make that Post-Heroes are Hard to Find. Although I prefer to forget that particular album.
Until there is a quality remaster (with live extras), it does suffer from a very muddy sound unfortunately.

The separate Peter Green forum specializes in pre and post Mac, it seems to serve a purpose, though I expect people interested in Green solo would be able to tolerate Welch era topics.