Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonite

Curious whether anyone else sees a similarity between "Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonite" and the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band's "Death Cab For Cutie"? YouTube clips for reference:

Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonite

Death Cab For Cutie

Both are 1950s pastiche numbers, and although the feel is different for each of them, the key line in each is pretty similar:
"Somebody's gonna get their head kicked in tonite" and "Someone's gonna make you pay your fare"

The similarity hadn't occurred to me until recently. Wondering whether Jeremy might have been influenced by that earlier number when he wrote his. BTW, I enjoy both songs.

Here's another YouTube clip of "Death Cab For Cutie". The sound is not as good as the one above but it's a fun clip from the '60s British TV show Do Not Adjust Your Set - with future Monty Python member Michael Palin doing the intro.
Do Not Adjust Your Set - Death Cab For Cutie

Bonus trivia: For those of you who were able to sit through the entire Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour, you may remember that "Death Cab For Cutie" was included toward the end of the film.

Extra bonus trivia: Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band's Neil Innes co-wrote the song and later wrote the songs for The Rutles - the noted Beatles parody band created by Innes and Monty Python's Eric Idle.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good catch! Interesting that it goes all the way back to 1967. If there is a connection, I would it imagine it was more subliminal than overt (hoping that maybe the author himself will provide confirmation or refutation) as the main similarity seems to be in the tag line.
The closest that Spencer and Fleetwood Mac came to the sound of the Bonzo’s song was the BBC recording of ‘Don’t Be Cruel’ and their live version of ‘Blue Suede Shoes’ (I’m thinking of the unreleased performance from the Shrine Auditorium where the number became a medley bringing in ‘All Shook Up’ and ‘Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On’.

I can only imagine what Stanshall and Innes must have thought when they learned of a U.S. band taking the title as the name of their band some thirty years later.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder