Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stream Mick, LB, SN Interview with Redbeard

In The Studio with Redbeard for Rumours 35th Anniversary:

http://www.inthestudio.net/this-week...leetwood-mac-2

When California musical duo (and lovers) Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined British blues-rock veteran band Fleetwood Mac, their first collaboration in 1975 (their “white album” ) sold more copies than any previous album in the long history of their label . No one was in any way prepared for this new line-up’s stunning initial success , so you can imagine the in-house anticipation for Fleetwood Mac’s next effort . They had to wait a full year for it , however , as four of the five members were breaking up literally in the studio while Rumours was being recorded . Fleetwood Mac co-founder drummer Mick Fleetwood joins Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks with me In The Studio for the 35th anniversary of one of history’s most popular albums ever at around forty million sold worldwide ( half of that U.S. sales ), an album that Rolling Stone magazine ranks at #25 on their Top 500 All Time list .- Redbeard
Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank for the heads up.On my local station last night they had a different Redbeard show on the air.Of course my local station probably screw up on this FM show like they did with Stevie's Redbeard interview.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
In The Studio with Redbeard for Rumours 35th Anniversary:

http://www.inthestudio.net/this-week...leetwood-mac-2
just listened to it. was a bit surprised about lindsey's answer to the RS visionary question. mainly the bitterness about FM not giving him the producer credit for rumours. maybe he's thinking of all the money he's losing with all these recent rumours sales... and i'm imagining how many solo albums and tours we could have had if he did get that credit?!

EDIT: LB part of the interview was recorded in 2007. so italicized part is my incorrect speculation based on the assumption that the interview was more recent.

Last edited by elle; 01-30-2012 at 11:41 PM..
Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
just listened to it. was a bit surprised about lindsey's answer to the RS visionary question. mainly the bitterness about FM not giving him the producer credit for rumours. maybe he's thinking of all the money he's losing with all these recent rumours sales... and i'm imagining how many solo albums and tours we could have had if he did get that credit?!
Perhaps... but I think it's his bitterness with Fleetwood Mac which has always driven his solo career. It was the band's reaction against Tusk which largely pushed Lindsey's experimentations into a solo career (because they were no longer welcome within the band). The frustration with the band that lead him to abandon the group fueled the best album of his career: Out Of The Cradle. If Lindsey was always pleased with the band, he probably never would have made any solo albums at all. It's his frustration with Fleetwood Mac which seems to almost solely drive him as an artist. It's kinda interesting that that's what his muse is.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Perhaps... but I think it's his bitterness with Fleetwood Mac which has always driven his solo career. It was the band's reaction against Tusk which largely pushed Lindsey's experimentations into a solo career (because they were no longer welcome within the band). The frustration with the band that lead him to abandon the group fueled the best album of his career: Out Of The Cradle. If Lindsey was always pleased with the band, he probably never would have made any solo albums at all. It's his frustration with Fleetwood Mac which seems to almost solely drive him as an artist. It's kinda interesting that that's what his muse is.
that's interesting twist you bring up... i agree with the bolded part of course, he said that himself many times - it's his stock answer about tusk, right before he launches into his small machine talk. but a producer credit for rumours (which one can think of more as a business-related thing) would have nothing to do with his post-tusk music-related frustrations. which really resulted in L&O and GI, not necessarily OOTC.

his leaving the band seemed to have more to do with the personal closures that he wanted, not necessarily musical frustrations. and i could argue that GOS1 would have probably been the best album of his career - but it was ruined by WBs asking him to take it apart to put parts on the FM album.

what i was originally trying to say is that i'm surprised he's bringing the producer non-credit now - and in response to a question about Rolling Stone magazine calling him a visionary. i don't know whether he's just taking shots at Mick or i should re-think what Not Too Late is really about.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and i could argue that GOS1 would have probably been the best album of his career - but it was ruined by WBs asking him to take it apart to put parts on the FM album.
Lindsey calls the shots on what songs go on what album. WB had the power to put his solo release on hold and encouraged the FM reunion but WB didn't have anything to do with the songs - that's the producer's prerogative.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Lindsey calls the shots on what songs go on what album. WB had the power to put his solo release on hold and encouraged the FM reunion
yeah yeah - so you don't think that WB or Cavallo suggested that some of the GOS1 songs should go on FM album?

so what did you think of the interview? SHN, NGBA and GYOW responses?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yeah yeah - so you don't think that WB or Cavallo suggested that some of the GOS1 songs should go on FM album?

so what did you think of the interview? SHN, NGBA and GYOW responses?
Hehehe... No, I don't think WB or Cavallo had anything to do with the songs.

I've only listened to half - I have a splitting headache. I was surprised at LB's candor. He was finally talking like normal people talk.

This isn't current though, is it? Didn't they piece this together a few years ago? Mick mentioned Sara so I know his isn't recent.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I've only listened to half - I have a splitting headache. I was surprised at LB's candor. He was finally talking like normal people talk.

This isn't current though, is it? Didn't they piece this together a few years ago? Mick mentioned Sara so I know his isn't recent.
lol re bolded part. that is maybe why he normally doesn't talk like normal people - too much candor!!

that's what i was thinking after hearing it. that it can't be recent. and that Mick and LB taking shots at each other cannot bode well for any future FM albums. maybe it's from 10 years ago? b/c it seem like LB says ...5th anniversary of rumours and it's cut out which anniversary he really mentioned.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i'm surprised he's bringing the producer non-credit now - and in response to a question about Rolling Stone magazine calling him a visionary. i don't know whether he's just taking shots at Mick or i should re-think what Not Too Late is really about.
responding to my own post but - what does this have to do with not getting a credit for producing rumours? not much to me - producing rumours was in the past, these lyrics are set in present and talk about future:

Reading the paper saw a review
Said I was a visionary, but nobody knew
Now that's been a problem
feeling unseen
Just like I'm living somebody's dream

What am I doing anyway
Telling myself it's not too late

I'm not a young man but I'm a child in
my soul
I feel there's room for songs that
are sung
For chances not taken for deeds not
yet done

What am I doing anyway

My children look away they don't know
what to say
what to say

So that's been a problem
feeling unheard
So called visions always deferred
It must be the reason I developed
this need
You know you should never believe
what you read

What am I doing anyway

what to say
what to say

(LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM - NOT TOO LATE LYRICS)
Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I love this interview. Hearing Lindsey speak w/o editing himself is so unusual - and soooo cool. Kudos to Redbeard for getting Lindsey to open up. He seriously needs to sit Lindsey down for another one-on-one.

re. when was this interview done? I'm thinking 2007...

This was w/ the NGBA audio that was posted on the site with the interview...

"When the reclusive Lindsey Buckingham surprised us with a visit to my Dallas/Ft.Worth radio show in 1992, it was understood that the conversation was in support of his third solo album , Out of the Cradle . But when Buckingham offered up this live performance of his composition “Never Going Back Again” , made famous on the Rumours Fleetwood Mac album 15 years earlier , it signaled that his reticence to discuss those emotionally-charged years had lifted , at least enough to grant the interview found elsewhere in our Classic Rock Interview archive. But true to form , Lindsey made me wait almost another 15 years for that opportunity . -Redbeard".
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
re. when was this interview done? I'm thinking 2007...

This was w/ the NGBA audio that was posted on the site with the interview...

"When the reclusive Lindsey Buckingham surprised us with a visit to my Dallas/Ft.Worth radio show in 1992, it was understood that the conversation was in support of his third solo album , Out of the Cradle . But when Buckingham offered up this live performance of his composition “Never Going Back Again” , made famous on the Rumours Fleetwood Mac album 15 years earlier , it signaled that his reticence to discuss those emotionally-charged years had lifted , at least enough to grant the interview found elsewhere in our Classic Rock Interview archive. But true to form , Lindsey made me wait almost another 15 years for that opportunity . -Redbeard".
yeah. and Nickslive just pointed out that Lindsey was playing Ft Worth in Jan 2007, on his UTS tour. so it all fits. Lindsey's part was from 2007. Nickslive thinks that Mick's is probably from some time in early 2000s, while Stevie's is much much older than that (possibly even 80s).
Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure if I thought it lasted all the way to 2007, but I know definitely after the SYW tour Stevie was mad at Lindsey and Lindsey was mad at both Stevie and Mick and accused them of -- actually I don't remember the exact word offhand. Was it canoodling, consorting, cavorting, conspiring, some kind of hard "c" sound he accused them of doing together. That's when he said Mick and Stevie were planning the next tour to play up the SnL romance and wanted to put Stevie and Lindsey's mics close together on the stage and he was sounding like he was over that.

So, around 2005 or 2006 I would expect harsher comments from him about them, because that's where he seemed to be coming from at that time. Then, he kind of mellowed out.

Michele
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I'm not sure if I thought it lasted all the way to 2007, but I know definitely after the SYW tour Stevie was mad at Lindsey and Lindsey was mad at both Stevie and Mick and accused them of -- actually I don't remember the exact word offhand. Was it canoodling, consorting, cavorting, conspiring, some kind of hard "c" sound he accused them of doing together. That's when he said Mick and Stevie were planning the next tour to play up the SnL romance and wanted to put Stevie and Lindsey's mics close together on the stage and he was sounding like he was over that.

So, around 2005 or 2006 I would expect harsher comments from him about them, because that's where he seemed to be coming from at that time. Then, he kind of mellowed out.
wow, never seen that stated so plainly! there's a lot i'm still missing apparently. do you happen to know where he said that?

either way, i'm glad these are not recent interviews b/c i was a bit worried... still, definitely fun to listen to.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
wow, never seen that stated so plainly! there's a lot i'm still missing apparently. do you happen to know where he said that?
It would help me to search for the interview if I could remember the present participle. I know I mocked him at the time, but I was doing it on fmlegacy and not this board and I can't find the interview, but I'll post when I do.

Michele