Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Danny Kirwan Solo Albums

Someone sent me Midnight in San Juan and Hello There Big Boy today which I have added onto the blog for download.

Great albums from Danny's post-FM career.

Enjoy!

http://fleetwoodmacmusic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by chriskisn; 10-04-2008 at 07:24 PM..
Old 10-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Someone sent me Midnight in San Juan and Hello There Big Boy today which I have added onto my blog for download.
Nice blog... :-)
Old 10-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Nice, looking forward to hearing these. I bought the recent CD reissue of Second Chapter so good to be able to hear the others.

But not being able to play guitar on his last album??? What state must he have been in?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Simon View Post
Nice, looking forward to hearing these. I bought the recent CD reissue of Second Chapter so good to be able to hear the others.

But not being able to play guitar on his last album??? What state must he have been in?
Au contrere. You might want to read the comments I left there in the DK section.

BTW Danny has recovered somewhat in recent years, at least according to everything I've heard and read about him. His years of disrepair are apparently now behind him for the most part.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
Au contrere. You might want to read the comments I left there in the DK section.

BTW Danny has recovered somewhat in recent years, at least according to everything I've heard and read about him. His years of disrepair are apparently now behind him for the most part.
Looking forward for more
Old 12-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Not sure where this is.................can anyone point the way????
Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not sure where this is.................can anyone point the way????
From link found in TS post :: enjoy

http://fleetwoodmacmusic.blogspot.com/
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is chilid able to verify the degree to which danny did or did not play on Hello There Big Boy? I hear his playing in the mix. I think it's a great album.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Is chilid able to verify the degree to which danny did or did not play on Hello There Big Boy? I hear his playing in the mix. I think it's a great album.
I'm not Chilid, but you're hearing correctly. Go read the comments I left there in the DK section for more.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Okay, he played a bit on the record but certainly he couldnt function to his full abilities and probably shouldn't have been anywhere near a recording studio at that time.

It's good to hear he's recovering but sadly not enough to ever perform again. We can all hope tho.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Okay, he played a bit on the record but certainly he couldnt function to his full abilities and probably shouldn't have been anywhere near a recording studio at that time.

It's good to hear he's recovering but sadly not enough to ever perform again. We can all hope tho.
That's it exactly. Your remarks are pretty much spot on.

One additional thing is worth mentioning. Danny was there mostly to lend his voice and, almost secondarily, a number of his more recent compositions, some of which weren't bad at all (in fact a few were quite good). Sadly though, his prolific days of playing and composing were already clearly behind him. Almost half the numbers were written by others, though again not all bad. So yeah, it was far from an ideal situation. Let's keep in mind good old Clifford Davis produced the project, so I'm sure he was as much trying to use Danny as help him (and probably more of the former). In the end though, even Davis wasn't really pleased, and had to do extra work to bring the production to completion.

It's a spotty project at best, but there are definitely a number of shining moments too. Your appreciation of it will probably come down to how much of a Kirwan fan you are. YMMV

Jb
Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just curious as to what you've heard - can you elaborate on this? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Just curious as to what you've heard - can you elaborate on this? Thanks.
It's just from odd bits and pieces I've picked up on here and there. No direct personal knowledge mind you. That said, I do know Danny has the support of family members, and is doing much better now. I don't think a return to the music biz is in the cards though, but you know how it goes - we can always hope. He's in much better health now which is the best news, is not destitute or busted, and is aware of all that's transpired.

I wish I had collected and even catalogued references over recent years, but I never did. This is just sort of a collective summation, but I believe it is fairly accurate. There are things to be found on the subject, both on the Net (Usenet, er Google, forums & blogs, etc.) and in a few insightful interviews that have occurred, if you care to dig. But sometimes you have to hunt-n-peck kind of deep. It's not exactly headline news, if you know what I mean.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hot dang - awesome blog! Thank God I have an 80 gig iPod! I have a lot of downloading to do.

ETA: Does anyone know how Danny is doing? I imagine he's still homeless. Oh - I know he's had some mental health issues... does anyone know what is plaguing him?

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."

Last edited by Moz; 12-21-2008 at 10:11 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
ETA: Does anyone know how Danny is doing? I imagine he's still homeless. Oh - I know he's had some mental health issues... does anyone know what is plaguing him?
Read comments directly above for starters.

Then read through this thread for a lively discussion on DK + PG
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=38213

And if that isn't enough, try this one for a bit more
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=15567

You'll need read all the way through though :: you know the saying, no pain, no gain.