User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Congrats Mark.I'm proud and happy for you.
Thanks Skip. My drug of choice was marijuana.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1601501_568806673200376_772189709_n.jpg (55.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Its nearly 3:00 A.M & I'm still up.
JTIS
Old 01-08-2014, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
Its nearly 3:00 A.M & I'm still up.
JTIS
Me too.

I came down with the flu on Sunday night, so I've spent the past 57 hours mostly on the couch, mostly sleeping. My fever finally went away a few hours ago, and I'm FREAKING WIRED NOW!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Me too.

I came down with the flu on Sunday night, so I've spent the past 57 hours mostly on the couch, mostly sleeping. My fever finally went away a few hours ago, and I'm FREAKING WIRED NOW!!!
That sounds like a horrible illness - hope you are feeling better now.

JTIS....
There is an exhibition in my local café of illustrations by a local artist. The theme is the Mabinogion - the collection of 11 medieval welsh stories. One of the paintings is Rhiannon with her horse and birds. As I'm a big Stevie fan, and Stevie is a big Rhiannon fan, I thought it was best that I purchase a print of it - a late Christmas present to myself. Its a fantastic picture. When I attach things they always come out small, and I don't know how to make them bigger so...
You can also see the picture at her blogsite http://lucyburns.blogspot.co.uk/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapshot_20140108.JPG (62.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never seen that picture before, i love it & now want one too... ya not going to believe this, here i am literally just sitting here staring & admiring your beautiful print, guess what song randomly played on my iPod? lol The Maker of birds, piano Demo..
Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart View Post
I've never seen that picture before, i love it & now want one too... ya not going to believe this, here i am literally just sitting here staring & admiring your beautiful print, guess what song randomly played on my iPod? lol The Maker of birds, piano Demo..
That's nice to hear about the iPod coincidence - that's Stevie/Rhiannon magic for you It's a great picture, isn't it - i'm sooooo pleased with it. I was amazed it turned up in my local café! They are very recent paintings.
My print is 2/100 so I'm sure she has quite a few more to sell. You can contact her at the e-mail address on the blog site, or I could speak to her next time I see her. I don't know her very well, but I've met her twice and she's lovely. I'm sure she'd be very pleased to hear from you. Just let me know if you want me to speak to her.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That picture is the business, MoonSister! Thanks so much for sharing. Look at her all taking to the sky like a bird in flight. Awww. What a gal.

That said, I need to stop acquiring pieces of art that I don't have room for. I'll let others go for this one.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Thanks Skip. My drug of choice was marijuana.
Mark, that picture of Idaho as a bong is hilarious. Congratulations, by the way, on 5 years of sobriety. In this messed up world we live in, filled with angst and judgment, it's not easy to just be ourselves. I'm proud of you!

Unrelated, but JTIS that I'm tired of winter already. Pea planting time is only 9 weeks away. Bring on Spring!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 01-08-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Mark, that picture of Idaho as a bong is hilarious. Congratulations, by the way, on 5 years of sobriety. In this messed up world we live in, filled with angst and judgment, it's not easy to just be ourselves. I'm proud of you!
Yes, Mark! I didn't mean to blank your achievement. I'm basically an airhead. Well done!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Today I am drug and alcohol free for 5 years!!!
Congratulations........................that is something to be very proud of. And not easily attained. Very impressive.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Can you believe it is -14° outside? This is the coldest temp. I've ever experienced in my entire life. I am however, toasty warm inside my comfortable home.
Just wanting to commiserate on the temps right now. 2 days ago it was -50'c. (We were on the news as being colder than the surface of Mars....not sure if that's something to be proud of or not?) My teens were mad because it has to be -52'c with the windchill here for school to be cancelled. They couldn't figure out what the extra 2 degrees would freeze that -50'c wouldn't. Hmmmmm, sounds like a bureaucratic decision to me. Still nice to see them off to school to enhance the brain cells after a very cold 2 weeks. As long as you dress properly, it's no problem walking. Outdoor rinks were open, but not quite as many people on them as you would see at -25'c. Downhill skiing a bit of a chore, and the dogs retired from walking during those temps. Their paws just can't last for long. So instead they turn the house into their playground. It's like having 2 toddlers wrestling for long periods of time. 2 storms of 8"of snow in the past 2 weeks also, so the driving is a bit wobbly too. The favorite chant in our city is "The Plows Are Coming, The Plows Are Coming!!!!!!!!"
Old 01-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Yes, Mark! I didn't mean to blank your achievement. I'm basically an airhead. Well done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
Congratulations........................that is something to be very proud of. And not easily attained. Very impressive.
Dex, I love you! Matt, I'm glad you share my sense of humor. While I have your attention, thank you a trillion times over for enhancing my demo collection back in 2006.
Thank you all for your well wishes.
Here's another pic Matt, made by one of your fellow statesmen for you to enjoy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jenny pot.jpg (29.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Just wanting to commiserate on the temps right now. 2 days ago it was -50'c. (We were on the news as being colder than the surface of Mars....not sure if that's something to be proud of or not?) My teens were mad because it has to be -52'c with the windchill here for school to be cancelled. They couldn't figure out what the extra 2 degrees would freeze that -50'c wouldn't. Hmmmmm, sounds like a bureaucratic decision to me. Still nice to see them off to school to enhance the brain cells after a very cold 2 weeks. As long as you dress properly, it's no problem walking. Outdoor rinks were open, but not quite as many people on them as you would see at -25'c. Downhill skiing a bit of a chore, and the dogs retired from walking during those temps. Their paws just can't last for long. So instead they turn the house into their playground. It's like having 2 toddlers wrestling for long periods of time. 2 storms of 8"of snow in the past 2 weeks also, so the driving is a bit wobbly too. The favorite chant in our city is "The Plows Are Coming, The Plows Are Coming!!!!!!!!"
Are you in Winnipeg, lovethemac? I've genuinely been looking it up all afternoon! It's a place I want to visit someday and maybe potentially live. As my husband and I are missing Canada and I'm getting nostalgic for "proper" winter. It looks rather lovely, although it seems to get a very mixed review from locals (but I actually like a little negativity. My native Calgary is way too up-up-Calgary-is-so-awesome-yay for me, as I'm used to a bit of snarl, having lived in the UK for a while now).

The "colder than Mars" headline was a puzzle to me when I first read it. Considering Winnipeg is a very specific place on Earth and Mars is an entire planet with many areas that are going to be varying distances from the sun with different temperatures at any given time. I thought it was almost a bit cocky as a headline, actually. But I don't deny that -50 is cold as f***! Yeesh!

My native-Southern-English colleagues are watching North America's extreme winter weather at the moment with real fascination. I can't help but feel a little smug as I seem to be the only person in my office who seems capable of fathoming -30 as a temperature. Is that a stupid thing to be smug about? Almost definitely.

Last edited by Dex; 01-08-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Are you in Winnipeg, lovethemac? I've genuinely been looking it up all afternoon! It's a place I want to visit someday and maybe potentially live. As my husband and I are missing Canada and I'm getting nostalgic for "proper" winter. It looks rather lovely, although it seems to get a very mixed review from locals (but I actually like a little negativity. My native Calgary is way too up-up-Calgary-is-so-awesome-yay for me, as I'm used to a bit of snarl, having lived in the UK for a while now).

The "colder than Mars" headline was a puzzle to me when I first read it. Considering Winnipeg is a very specific place on Earth and Mars is an entire planet with many areas that are going to be varying distances from the sun with different temperatures at any given time. I thought it was almost a bit cocky as a headline, actually. But I don't deny that -50 is cold as f***! Yeesh!

My native-Southern-English colleagues are watching North America's extreme winter weather at the moment with real fascination. I can't help but feel a little smug as I seem to be the only person in my office who seems capable of fathoming -30 as a temperature. Is that a stupid thing to be smug about? Almost definitely.

Good deduction Dex!!! Yes, I am a Winnipegger through and through. I agree with your Calgary comment, having lived in Lethbridge for a number of years in the early 90's. Calgary is a beautiful city, non-the-less. Winnipeg does consist of people who love it and in the same breath, despise the extremes. Very cold winters, hot and humid summers, and mosquitos in wet years. However, we do have a very lush green canopy of old trees, lot's of festivals and cultural events (ie. Winnipeg Folk Festival, Fringe Festival), beautiful rivers running through the city, gorgeous parks, lot's of sporting events and sports activities, good cost of living and reasonable housing prices, Canadian shield along with forests and lake country a spit's distance away, beautiful old architecture, and most importantly, very friendly people. If you do like Winter, full stop, spring, full stop, summer, full stop, fall, full stop.....it definitely has that.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Good deduction Dex!!! Yes, I am a Winnipegger through and through. I agree with your Calgary comment, having lived in Lethbridge for a number of years in the early 90's. Calgary is a beautiful city, non-the-less. Winnipeg does consist of people who love it and in the same breath, despise the extremes. Very cold winters, hot and humid summers, and mosquitos in wet years. However, we do have a very lush green canopy of old trees, lot's of festivals and cultural events (ie. Winnipeg Folk Festival, Fringe Festival), beautiful rivers running through the city, gorgeous parks, lot's of sporting events and sports activities, good cost of living and reasonable housing prices, Canadian shield along with forests and lake country a spit's distance away, beautiful old architecture, and most importantly, very friendly people. If you do like Winter, full stop, spring, full stop, summer, full stop, fall, full stop.....it definitely has that.
You're really selling it!

I never thought I'd live anywhere in Canada too far from the mountains, as I love them so much. But the cost of living in more eastern parts is certainly tempting, and Winnipeg is the only other place in Canada that seems like it has a similar vibe to what I grew up with. I've considered living in Ontario or the eastern provinces but decided pretty quickly that they wouldn't feel like "home" to me. If I'm going to live in Canada, I want to feel like I'm home again, y'know?

Anyway, we know literally nobody in Manitoba so it's probably unlikely we'll find ourselves there. But I like fantasizing about different possibilities. Thanks for your input!