Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Official UTS Review Thread

I dunno, thought maybe it would be nice to have one place to come and read what everybody's thoughts are on the songs and the CD. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

I love the artwork, the colors are appropriate for this time of year. It has a classy design and seems down to earth. This is only the 2nd solo LB work I own, but this one makes me want to do a cannonball off the deep end. I'll be at the Portland show one way or another, even if I end up with a crappy seat.

Question: During The Dance tour, Lindsey talks about Mick and John being in the studio helping him with what would have been songs for GOS. Do we know for sure which songs those were? Sounds like Down on Rodeo was one of them.

Without getting into lyrical deconstruction because that takes many more spins that just a few, here are my thoughts, so far. I could have a different opinion next week... like loving all of the songs equally...

Not Too Late:
Not loving the whispering vocal parts. The verse cadence is too choppy, but the chorus is good. The guitar part reminds me of Say Goodbye. The electronic vocal manipulations are obvious, but okay. This song doesn't rate with me.

Show You How:
Love the guitar intro and the rat-a-tat-tat percussion. It's fabulous. The vocals are signature .."slow down noowhooww.. I'll show ya show show ya hoowwooww." Great cadence. I think it would have fit nicely on Law and Order. Very commercially viable, excellent choice as a single. This is my favorite song on the album.

Under the Skin:
Another great guitar and percussion pairing. Even though the percussion sounds a bit Dr. Rhythm-ish, Lindsey does that a lot and I've come to love it in his songs more than in Stevie's songs. Mostly because all the other layering nearly buries it in all the right places. This whispery vocal sounds much better than in Not Too Late. The lyrics are great and the cadence is excellent. I do love the echoey sound, even if it might be a bit overdone in places, it does create an overall ambiance for the song, one that I really like a lot. It's very smooth, mellow... tea on an early Sunday morning, out on the deck. May also have some commerial viability. This is my second favorite song on the album.

I Am Waiting
Probably my least favorite song on the album because it's just too repetitive. I haven't heard the Stones version, so I can't compare the justice or injustice that Lindsey may have done to this song. This song doesn't rate.

It Was You
Short and sweet with a catchy rhythm. Is that a cowbell I hear? The vocal layering is signature Lindsey. When he sings "yeaaahhh" at the end of the chorus and bends the note up, it reminds me of John/Julian Lennon. This is my sixth favorite song on the album.

To Try for the Sun:
Some of the guitar parts on this song reminds me of Big Love. I thought this song was credited to Donovan but I couldn't find a clip to listen to, so again, I have nothing to compare it to. I like it, it's sweet and I really love the lyrics. The ebb and flow intensity, vocals and guitar remind me of some SYW songs (Red Rover/Miranda.) This is my third favorite song on the album.

Cast Away Dream
The lyrics are sweet. It reminds me of some early LB solo work. Again, I love the echoey layered vocals because I feel it adds to the overall feel of the song. And the rat-a-tat-tat rhythm. This would be the song where it sounds like they're all sitting around strumming acoustics. ... yes, well except for the echoey vocals, but that's okay. This has a good use of a whispery then a regular intensity type of vocal. This song ties for second favorite.

Shut us Down
Again, love the signature guitar, but not loving the whispery vocal parts on this song either. The ending vocals are really a bit weird, sorry, just sounds too pushed. Not liking this song a whole lot because the vocals just killed it for me, so doesn't rate.

Down on Rodeo
Well, we've been hearing this song for awhile... good rhythm, good vocals, great layering on the guitar, lovely lyrics. It was well placed in running order of the album and fits very nicely with the rest of the songs. The chorus is signature, as is vocals and guitar. Sounds like it may have originally been recorded around the time of The Dance, maybe just before ?? The use of the windchimes and the lead guitar tuning sounds like The Dance era. Some commercial viability? This song is another second favorite on the album. Glad it finally appeared.

Someone's Gonna Change Your Mind.
This song seems rather melancholoy, which is a nice change for the overall album. I like the "I know, I know, I know." It has a different vocal styling that works well for the feel of the song as does the children's voices. The horns seem a bit over dramatic and out of place on this song, but I'm not sure how else the crescendo could have been accomplished, what with using the timpani and all. This song is my fifth favorite on the album.

Flying Down Juniper
I love the lyrics, the sweetness, cadence, rhythm. The vocal tone seems a little off, particularly in the beginning, but perhaps that's just part of the overall feel of the song to make it seem more rustic. The chorus is sweet. The windchime intro reminds me of SS on The Dance. Almost sounds like you can hear a metronone in the background. Love the kids in the background. I think you can hear him pushing the stop button on the recorder too. heehee. This is my fourth favorite song.

Last edited by desertangel; 10-04-2006 at 02:51 AM..
Old 10-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I cannot rate the songs from 1-11. But I can build 4 categories. Here we go:

Fantastic:
Shut us down
Under the skin

Good:
Not too late
DOR
Try for the sun
SGTYM
Juniper
Cast away dreams

O.K.-songs:
I am waiting
Show you how

Don`t like it:
It was you

If I compare that to his other solo work or even to his entire work (add.FM) I can say that this album contains imo the best amount of songs on one disc together since Tusk.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite song from the album is "Under the Skin". The lyrics are wonderful and I don't mind the whispery vocal on this one.

I love or like all of the other songs, except It Was You. That is the only song I would put in the dislike category.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
Question: During The Dance tour, Lindsey talks about Mick and John being in the studio helping him with what would have been songs for GOS. Do we know for sure which songs those were? Sounds like Down on Rodeo was one of them.
Mick and John are on DOR and Mick only is on SGCYM if we are to believe the CD booklet. I was thinking it might be John playing the bass on Flying Down Juniper, but the booklet says it's Lindsey himself.

My review to follow, got some studying to do and a couple of videos to watch.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 10-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
Mick and John are on DOR and Mick only is on SGCYM if we are to believe the CD booklet. I was thinking it might be John playing the bass on Flying Down Juniper, but the booklet says it's Lindsey himself.

My review to follow, got some studying to do and a couple of videos to watch.
I am SURE (by listening)they were on BTLH, GOS, TOF, Miranda, Murrow, SYHA, Shuffle riff, Come and the above mentioned.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Forgot to mention how dissappointed I was that there were only 11 songs, it was obviously short. Couldn't help but wonder if the next CD will have 11 songs also and how they could have been blended to create one of those multiple personality type Lindsey albums. But we already know why that didn't happen.

Thanks for pointing out which songs Mick and John contributed on, I saw that on the linear notes. I was just wondering which ones may specifically have been done around The Dance era.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Someone's Gonna Change Your Mind.
This song seems rather melancholoy, which is a nice change for the overall album. I like the "I know, I know, I know." It has a different vocal styling that works well for the feel of the song as does the children's voices. The horns seem a bit over dramatic and out of place on this song, but I'm not sure how else the crescendo could have been accomplished, what with using the timpani and all. This song is my fifth favorite on the album.
Is it the same as Soundstage? because I absolutely LOVE this song on SS. The horns (keyboard that sound like horns) are my favourite part.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out which songs Mick and John contributed on, I saw that on the linear notes. I was just wondering which ones may specifically have been done around The Dance era.
Well, if that's the case then I think Gerald left out Deep Dense.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, let's give it a proper whirl:

Not Too Late: I know I complained about the lyrics earlier. With music like this I find them moving though. Disregard the two first lines and the rest is stuff that anyone can relate to at some point in their lives. The chorus hits really hard amidst the melancholy of the verses, the pseudo-classical picking and the middle eight. Almost as great as his previous album openers.

Show You How: Nuttily addictive thudding and a great song to boot. The panpipe outro at the end is still unnecessary though.

Under The Skin: I have the same problem with this one as I do with Flying Down Juniper; the verses are good but the chorus is the one that sticks in my mind more. However, it is a very atmospheric listen with all the echoes and stuff.

I Am Waiting: Loved this on Soundstage, love it here too. Beautiful layers. This is how peaceful desperation should be done.

It Was You: The throwaway piece of the album for some. For me it's just as important as the best of the serious stuff. A playful song with all the Beach Boys influences. Someone here mentioned that he heard some reggae in it, I do too, in Lindsey's vocalising especially. Some kind of parody going on here? Whatever, it's a thrilling pastiche in the best tradition of Buckingham.

To Try For The Sun: It's kind of hard to get used to add the "To" word to it, having written the title without it ever since I first heard GOS. This was a highlight there and becomes one here too, I don't even mind the editing at all.

Cast Away Dreams: I've warmed up to it even more but still think there are better songs on the album. The echoed production works better on UTS and FLJ.

Shut Us Down: Cutting down the entire instrumental bit wasn't a good idea, but other than that I don't really notice the editing. Another moving piece of music that gets nicely heated during the choruses. I've really warmed up to this after not having been too excited about the track last year.

Down On Rodeo: Call me a mainstream sell-out but this has always been perfection and remains so here.

Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind: Fits well to the concept of the album with the echoes and all. Really grown to like this one as well, but still think Holiday Road is better.

Flying Down Juniper: Definitely needs SGCYM as its pair. Ends the record on a beautiful, hopeful note.

Other things I noticed: The click tracks on digital recording software are pretty much on all the new songs that he recorded on tour. Not that I mind, I think it's kinda funny.

Cover art: Can't beat OOTC here, but still looks better printed than it did when I first saw a digital version of the cover. Really nice autumn colours.

Overall: GOS is still my favourite solo album of his (even though a part of it appears here), but I guess this one has hit some soft spot right now: I can't really find anything to criticise, except for a few details. Such as the editing of SUD, but never mind that. I'm really glad and grateful that he released something again. Together with Gene Clark's No Other that I just bought recently, these two albums are the true "Cosmic American Music". Gram Parsons, eat yer heart out!

Old 10-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oops I missed this before I started mine. BUt suffice it to say I love it!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Favorite songs so far are UTS and Show you how.

I'm just thinking-Lindsey has always said his strong points have never been singing or songwriting, but that he focuses more on guitar and production. I happen to really like his voice, but I don't feel like he likes it himself. Is this probably why he is changing it so much in the studio..(I'm not a music person...how does he do it?? you know what I"m talking about ) I love the stripped down feel of this album, but just wish the vocals were stripped as well. And anything else he wants to strip.

Like Steve's Riff (Wear You Down) . I love the verses, but it took me a long time to get used to that chorus.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
Favorite songs so far are UTS and Show you how.

I'm just thinking-Lindsey has always said his strong points have never been singing or songwriting, but that he focuses more on guitar and production. I happen to really like his voice, but I don't feel like he likes it himself. Is this probably why he is changing it so much in the studio..(I'm not a music person...how does he do it?? you know what I"m talking about ) I love the stripped down feel of this album, but just wish the vocals were stripped as well. And anything else he wants to strip.

Like Steve's Riff (Wear You Down) . I love the verses, but it took me a long time to get used to that chorus.
My guess is he's singing that way now because he's lost a lot of his range, and/or maybe he wanted a softer/quieter album. Although his vocals are quiet on SYW as well. He's said he wanted the album to feel like you were in a room with him, so maybe this is how he sings to his wife and his kids...?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought the same thing about his altering the vocals.

You ask how does he do it? Was that a rhetorical question? See the pictures of the big sound board in the It Was You video? Twisting and turning knobs; reverb, echo, chorus, changing the attack, delay, setting reverb to plate, room or hall, maybe some vocal patches. I'm no sound engineer, obviously, but I did buy a little 16 track recorder just to play around with. It has all the stuff I mentioned on it. You set the settings and sing into the mic, or vice versa. Record the vocal, then go back and add effects to it, which is the preferred method, from what I understand. I took a few classes just to get up and running quicker. I can honestly understand how Lindsey could spend hours, days, months and even years compiling an album. It's devastating how many hours can be wiled away recording one song. (I had to put a clock in my studio due to losing track of time. Four hours would go by and it would feel like only one.) Then again, other songs seem to finish themselves in no time.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
My guess is he's singing that way now because he's lost a lot of his range, and/or maybe he wanted a softer/quieter album. Although his vocals are quiet on SYW as well. He's said he wanted the album to feel like you were in a room with him, so maybe this is how he sings to his wife and his kids...?
I agree about him losing his range, but I remember Lindsey also said that he wanted to do something a bit beyond someone singing and playing the songs in front of you with a guitar. Another explanation for the effects: we'll see how dated they'll sound ten years from now.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
Other things I noticed: The click tracks on digital recording software are pretty much on all the new songs that he recorded on tour. Not that I mind, I think it's kinda funny.
So that's what the sound is... I thought it sounded like a metronone.

GAAAHH..... I disabled the click tracks on both my recorders. They drive me NUTTS! I'll have to turn them back on at some point, like when I decide to quit playing around. They're useful not only for tempo but in editing as well. I don't understand why they can't be edited out for the mixdown.