The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default has Thom Yorke been listening to Lindsey?

There's a track on Thom Yorke's new album "The Eraser" called "the Clock"
and it has a very cool Lindseyesque guitar riff throughout. The rhythm track is also a little Buckinghamish.
Very reminiscient of Lindsey's recent stuff.

Makes me wonder what a Yorke/Buckingham collaboration would be like...
Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You never know. I love Thom Yorke. My boyfriend and I are the biggest Radiohead fans, and I have yet to get this album. I'm so getting it this weekend. I've just been behind on music buying lately due to other priorities at the moment. A Lindsey-Thom collaboration would probably blow everyone away. I know Lindsey really loves Thom Yorke's music...he was speaking about a Radiohead album in some article and said Thom had such an amazing voice and he loved it, or something like that.

Isn't Micheal Stipe a friend/fan of Lindsey? If so, then perhaps Thom has heard LB, because Stipe and him are very close friends. Or he could have heard it on his own, who knows...I'm getting his album! I can't believe I've waited.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Word up on Thom Yorke's album. It's terrific! There might be one song (name escapes me) that I wasn't thrilled with - but it's a nice, pithy, electronic, lush, dreamy Radiohead-ish nine track album that hits the spot.

Also - I've discovered a young, grungy, modern day version of Lindsey Buckingham in Brian Aubert who is the lead singer of an LA band named Silversun Pickups. Not only does he sound like him, but he looks like he could be his son if LB procreated with a straight haired brunette. And don't forget - LB could have a son Brian's age (I'd wager he's late 20's, early 30's) if he started sooner. Despite Will and all the young rug rats he has today - he's no spring chicken.

Now, the song in the video linked here doesn't show it as much, but there are some lead guitar solos on their EP "Pikul" that have a frenetic LB sound. SP are compared to Pixies and in my view a touch of Jeff Buckley, but for an FM fan like me - I'm seeing some LB similiarities. Have a look...this song "Kissing Families" is my song for the summer of 2006...heavy rotation on my playlist!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=icIfKsY5C...rsun%20pickups

Last edited by Boots; 07-19-2006 at 03:19 PM..
Old 07-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots
Also - I've discovered a young, grungy, modern day version of Lindsey Buckingham in Brian Aubert who is the lead singer of an LA band named Silversun Pickups. Not only does he sound like him, but he looks like he could be his son if LB procreated with a straight haired brunette. And don't forget - LB could have a son Brian's age (I'd wager he's late 20's, early 30's) if he started sooner. Despite Will and all the young rug rats he has today - he's no spring chicken.

Now, the song in the video linked here doesn't show it as much, but there are some lead guitar solos on their EP "Pikul" that have a frenetic LB sound. SP are compared to Pixies and in my view a touch of Jeff Buckley, but for an FM fan like me - I'm seeing some LB similiarities. Have a look...this song "Kissing Families" is my song for the summer of 2006...heavy rotation on my playlist!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=icIfKsY5C...rsun%20pickups
Thank you soooo much! I'm gonna get Pikul for sure!

I know exactly what you mean, I really hear and see lindsey-eque things in here, and what a great song! Makes me realize again: when does lindsey finally catches his livesound on a studio-album again? This is almost an example!!!

Although this Brian wants to be a Corgan too. But then again, I hear more lindsey in Corgan since this vid.

I can't thank you enough, boots. I LOVE it when lindseyfans put my head up on new alt. music.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's an acoustic version of The Clock from when Thom was on the Henry Rollins Show (Henry Rollins has a chat show???!!! Weird.) I guess I can hear more Lindsey in this performance but I really doubt he's been listening to Mr Buckingham. That said, who knows? I was looking through the Flaming Lips messageboard the other day and one of the band members was saying he was currently listening to Tusk. I wouldn't have made that connection either.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sw2e91

Gerald, I hope you got my message about Mark Lanegan playing with the Twilight Singers. Should be good. Just wanted to give you a heads up on it.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
Thank you soooo much! I'm gonna get Pikul for sure!

I know exactly what you mean, I really hear and see lindsey-eque things in here, and what a great song! Makes me realize again: when does lindsey finally catches his livesound on a studio-album again? This is almost an example!!!

Although this Brian wants to be a Corgan too. But then again, I hear more lindsey in Corgan since this vid.

I can't thank you enough, boots. I LOVE it when lindseyfans put my head up on new alt. music.
Hey Shackin! Glad you hear it too! Also - Kudos on the Corgan comparison - the group has a Smashing Pumpkins quality about them too. "Kissing Families" has this incredible lead guitar moment that hits a crecendo much in the way of our very own LB.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots
Hey Shackin! Glad you hear it too! Also - Kudos on the Corgan comparison - the group has a Smashing Pumpkins quality about them too. "Kissing Families" has this incredible lead guitar moment that hits a crecendo much in the way of our very own LB.
I love 1979!!!