The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I used to have dreams about living in Saskatoon.

In the dream I remember most, Saskatoon was a huge glittering city of skyscrapers, surrounded by fields of pink and blue flowers. The city glowed on the horizon, like the Emerald City from Oz. There was some kind of plague, and I had to escape through tunnels under the city with lots of other people, which were filled with exotic dance clubs.

I emerged outside the city on the side of a hill; those pink and blue flowers were everywhere, and there were Indian women in sarees dancing on the hillside who seemed delighted that I had made it out. Looking behind me, Saskatoon was brilliantly colored against the night sky, and I knew I had to go back becasue I *belonged* there.

I don't know why I thought it was Saskatoon - but I just *knew* that it was, even though it was never said. For a while, I was sort of obsessed with moving there. Sometimes I would sit at work and Google pictures and articles about the city's history.

The reality is that Saskatoon doesn't seem to be a particularly interesting place. But I get this weird feeling when I think about it, like deja vu.

Dreams. Heh.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I used to have dreams about living in Saskatoon.

In the dream I remember most, Saskatoon was a huge glittering city of skyscrapers, surrounded by fields of pink and blue flowers. The city glowed on the horizon, like the Emerald City from Oz. There was some kind of plague, and I had to escape through tunnels under the city with lots of other people, which were filled with exotic dance clubs.

I emerged outside the city on the side of a hill; those pink and blue flowers were everywhere, and there were Indian women in sarees dancing on the hillside who seemed delighted that I had made it out. Looking behind me, Saskatoon was brilliantly colored against the night sky, and I knew I had to go back becasue I *belonged* there.

I don't know why I thought it was Saskatoon - but I just *knew* that it was, even though it was never said. For a while, I was sort of obsessed with moving there. Sometimes I would sit at work and Google pictures and articles about the city's history.

The reality is that Saskatoon doesn't seem to be a particularly interesting place. But I get this weird feeling when I think about it, like deja vu.

Dreams. Heh.
That's kind of amazing! Where did you even hear of Saskatoon? It's not one that's on the international radar of many people.

I think Saskatoon is supposed to be a kind-of-ok mid-sized city... But Saskatchewan as a whole is just far too monotonous for me, in terms of landscape. I have the same problem with Eastern Alberta. Too much prairie just makes me a little kooky. I couldn't cope there.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
That's kind of amazing! Where did you even hear of Saskatoon? It's not one that's on the international radar of many people.

I think Saskatoon is supposed to be a kind-of-ok mid-sized city... But Saskatchewan as a whole is just far too monotonous for me, in terms of landscape. I have the same problem with Eastern Alberta. Too much prairie just makes me a little kooky. I couldn't cope there.
I don't know where I even heard of Saskatoon. It's as if my brain reached way back to childhood (I was obsessed with maps, and used to make my own atlases) and pulled a random city name up for me.

I toatlly agree with you on the prairie. All that empty space...
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know where I even heard of Saskatoon. It's as if my brain reached way back to childhood (I was obsessed with maps, and used to make my own atlases) and pulled a random city name up for me.

I toatlly agree with you on the prairie. All that empty space...
Maybe you lived a previous life there. Stevie would love that kind of thing I bet, reiincarnation. Saskatoon is actually an incredibly beautiful city. The city downtown which is very pretty, is on one side of this big river, and residential on the other side but up on top of a huge escarpment/cliff. I always thought if I had to live in another prairie city, Saskatoon would be it.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I came down with the flu on Sunday night, so I've spent the past 57 hours mostly on the couch, mostly sleeping. My fever finally went away a few hours ago
Hope you feel better soon Homer. Having the flu really sucks. I got a flu shot in November so I'm hoping that will prevent me from catching one this season. I've had the flu twice in the last 7 years. This was the first time I ever got the shot though so we'll see if it made a difference.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Hope you feel better soon Homer. Having the flu really sucks. I got a flu shot in November so I'm hoping that will prevent me from catching one this season. I've had the flu twice in the last 7 years. This was the first time I ever got the shot though so we'll see if it made a difference.
Thanks. I'm on the mend. I'm kind of afraid of vaccines and the like, so I didn't do one(I pretty much only did them in adult life, when my Mom was battling cancer-because the doctor said it was for the best, for her).

But it wasn't too terrible. Felt like crap for about 48 hours, with a high fever (but thank god no throwing up!!!!),
But I get it about every 5 years or so. But thanks again.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks. I'm on the mend. I'm kind of afraid of vaccines and the like, so I didn't do one(I pretty much only did them in adult life, when my Mom was battling cancer-because the doctor said it was for the best, for her).

But it wasn't too terrible. Felt like crap for about 48 hours, with a high fever (but thank god no throwing up!!!!),
But I get it about every 5 years or so. But thanks again.
Oh I don't know if you had the flu Homer. It might have just been a fever. Doesn't everyone throw up when they have the flu?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Oh I don't know if you had the flu Homer. It might have just been a fever. Doesn't everyone throw up when they have the flu?
There seems to be some sort of mini flu going around this season. It doesn't last as long as the regular flu, or have as severe of effects. One of my friends who got the flu shot this season just recently got this mini flu, too. So have some of my coworkers.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have not had flu shot this year, but I really should get one. Being HIV+, it's just too damn risky not to get one. I also get a pneumovax every couple of years to protect me from pneumonia.

I started get flu shots back in the 90's when I worked in call centers, which are breeding grounds for flu and other airborne illnesses.

Having travelled to South America, I've also had vaccines for Typhoid, yellow fever, Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B. The Hep A shot is the absolute worst injection ever - it feels like lava being pumped in at the injection site.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
There seems to be some sort of mini flu going around this season. It doesn't last as long as the regular flu, or have as severe of effects. One of my friends who got the flu shot this season just recently got this mini flu, too. So have some of my coworkers.
Yeah, although mine wasn't really short(fever for about 2&1/2 days), that was really it, with the aches that of course go with the fever.

I will post here what I won't on FB, though. So one of my tenant's furnace went out(while I was just coming out of the fever). Well, about half of the time, I can fix it, and save $100 service call. Well, I couldn't figure it out myself, so I called the serviceman. He gets there, and I started feeling like I was going to throw up...so I went outside for a bit. Didn't happen. Went back in, and told him that I'd been sick, and should probably go back home to bed. I got halfway to the front door, and WENT DOWN. PASSED OUT. I don't remember going down AT ALL. I remember opening my eyes, and looking at my tenant, and asking her how I got on her floor. She said, "you didn't fall, but controlled your descent, but you were out cold, when you got to the floor!" I HAVE NEVER PASSED OUT/FAINTED IN MY LIFE! But I did. Didn't scare me....I knew I was weak, but I'm Superman, and have always been able to push myself through anything. And for the first time ever, Superman failed.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The Hep A shot is the absolute worst injection ever - it feels like lava being pumped in at the injection site.
I'm so squeamish - I don't think I'd be happy with that injection! I've travelled quite a bit, and had a few injections, but I don't remember one like that.

Quote:
I got halfway to the front door, and WENT DOWN. PASSED OUT. I don't remember going down AT ALL. I remember opening my eyes, and looking at my tenant, and asking her how I got on her floor. She said, "you didn't fall, but controlled your descent, but you were out cold, when you got to the floor!" I HAVE NEVER PASSED OUT/FAINTED IN MY LIFE! But I did. Didn't scare me....I knew I was weak, but I'm Superman, and have always been able to push myself through anything. And for the first time ever, Superman failed.
I've always hated the idea of fainting. Its never happened to me, but I think it must be such a strange experience.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Viv - can I just say how much I like that pic of your Christmas table. I'm guessing that is your new floor - very nice!

also....JTIS.. the sun goes off my house in the middle of winter, but as it's 3 weeks since the shortest day, it's just starting to come back into the kitchen

Last edited by MoonSister75; 01-11-2014 at 07:34 AM..
Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post

I've always hated the idea of fainting. Its never happened to me, but I think it must be such a strange experience.
It was! It wasn't scary....but I was just looking at my tenant, "HOW did I get here?"
Old 01-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
Viv - can I just say how much I like that pic of your Christmas table. I'm guessing that is your new floor - very nice!
Yes, that is my new floor. I feel so blessed.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie