Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
"The Original Fleetwood Mac"

What if Steve Hackett, and Peter Gabriel came back to re-join/form Genesis, what would you call them?

I find it funny that people would complain since it was Peter Green that came up with the band's name in the first place.
Actually, Genesis would present the same problem. Everyone would expect Phil Collins as the frontman, just like if they saw 'Fleetwood Mac', people would expect Lindsey/Stevie. I agree people Shouldn't complain, but they would.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
Actually, Genesis would present the same problem. Everyone would expect Phil Collins as the frontman, just like if they saw 'Fleetwood Mac', people would expect Lindsey/Stevie. I agree people Shouldn't complain, but they would.
I don't really see the parallel between Genesis and Fleetwood Mac, in that all of the current members of Genesis were in the band with Gabriel and Hackett, so they would still get Phil. Hell, Phil was Peter's backing vocalist. And, Peter Gabriel had a distinct, successful solo career, so he'd still bring his own celebrity to the table.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don't really see the parallel between Genesis and Fleetwood Mac, in that all of the current members of Genesis were in the band with Gabriel and Hackett, so they would still get Phil. Hell, Phil was Peter's backing vocalist. And, Peter Gabriel had a distinct, successful solo career, so he'd still bring his own celebrity to the table.
Think of Phil Collins' songwriting talent as Buckingham/Nicks/Christine McVie combined. While Peter Gabriel was in the band, Collins just played drums, and sang back-up vocals. He didn't write songs, or have any hand in changing the band's direction towards pop music while Steve Hackett, and Peter Gabriel were in the band. After Genesis' leader Peter Gabriel left (Peter Green), Genesis gave Phil Collins the job as lead singer, with Steve Hackett playing guitar (Danny Kirwan). As long as Hackett was in the band, Genesis still held to their original progressive rock origins. Two albums later Steve Hackett (Kirwan, as the last of the creative old band) leaves the band.

From then on Phil Collins unleashed his many talents, took over,and transformed Genesis into pop super-stardom. Albums such as "Duke", and "Abacab", made the band millions of dollars. That means there are millions of fans who only know Genesis from 1980-present. (ring a bell?)

So if you had a reunion of the past Genesis band with the 1970-75 members, what would you call that band? Fleetwood Mac's story is less complicated.

Last edited by slipkid; 01-26-2010 at 12:32 AM..
Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You would call the band Fleetwood Mac, it's Peter's name.
What happened after 1971 is, like.... irrelevant .

Last edited by dino; 01-26-2010 at 03:36 AM..
Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Junior Ledgie

'i think the reunion is a terrible idea! zero'

I also find myself agreeing with this - What sounds great in theory often doesn't translate into a great reality!

Firstly Mick seems to just want this for personal reasons, or show-biz reasons, or both, and neither of those will likely interest Peter or Jeremy.

And from what I can tell John doesn't really seem interested in the present-day PG sound...

And also Peter & Jeremy are both doing great with their current bands!

So I wonder what's really to be gained?

Possibly a relaxed studio jam session would be ok, but again I think something like Peter in the studio with BB King instead would be so much better, maybe with Jeremy aswell...!

Jonson
Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Will we get the important input of Jeremy Spencer on this subject???

When I wrote this, he was on the board and didn't leave any comment.

Last edited by holidayroad; 01-26-2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: wanted to explain why I asked that question
Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up You hit the nail on the head, Jonson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsonP View Post
'i think the reunion is a terrible idea! zero'

I also find myself agreeing with this - What sounds great in theory often doesn't translate into a great reality!

Firstly Mick seems to just want this for personal reasons, or show-biz reasons, or both, and neither of those will likely interest Peter or Jeremy.

And from what I can tell John doesn't really seem interested in the present-day PG sound...

And also Peter & Jeremy are both doing great with their current bands!

So I wonder what's really to be gained?

Possibly a relaxed studio jam session would be ok, but again I think something like Peter in the studio with BB King instead would be so much better, maybe with Jeremy aswell...!

Jonson
... need I say more on this tired subject?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Glad to see Jeremy's input on this, and I agree with him that Jonson did a great job of covering all the reasons why this would not be such a good idea.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
... need I say more on this tired subject?
As always...thank you for taking time to add your 2p. Your comments are enjoyed and appreciated!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks Jeremy for letting us know how you feel.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now that Jeremy's weighed in with a thumbs down on the reunion, there's really no need to discuss this anymore, is there? Truth is, Peter and Jeremy are doing what they love now. Let's embrace that.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Now that Jeremy's weighed in with a thumbs down on the reunion, there's really no need to discuss this anymore, is there? Truth is, Peter and Jeremy are doing what they love now. Let's embrace that.
I can only hope that both Peter and Jeremy get busy on new albums...

Ah yes as I've said before Fleetwood Mac spend too much time looking back (hence the current reunion) rather than looking forward. Sure I'd love to see both Peter and Jeremy live, but even with a reunion that isn't likely to happen in my part of the world...
Old 01-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
... Sure I'd love to see both Peter and Jeremy live, but even with a reunion that isn't likely to happen in my part of the world...
here's a crazy idea. pete sits in live with jeremy or vice versa.

i think its better than a fleetwood mac reunion. zero
Old 01-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
here's a crazy idea. pete sits in live with jeremy or vice versa.

i think its better than a fleetwood mac reunion. zero
YES!!!

Ms Moose