Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bob just needs to learn a bit about putting things in order, its like trying to fight your way through the jungle in their sometimes.
You do have to get ready to scroll when you visit Bob's website. Bob's website is like an old rambling mansion ... with all sorts of rooms and closets and niches where you can find good stuff. I like its layout a lot better than many websites that are full of flash crap and annoying animations.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
OMG I actually did say Hypnotized!!!

Who is the other keyboard player on Green Manalishi ?

As I had previously mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, that's Doug Graves on B-3/synths (leaving Christine to concentrate solely on the acoustic & electric piano parts)...he was replaced later in the '74 tour by Welch's old Head West pal Bobby Hunt. Doug was one of the assistant engineers on Heroes Are Hard To Find...he passed away sometime later (as Welch mentions in one of his Penguin Q&A's)
Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=chriskisn;851678]This is why I love Bob...

As I said in another post, I just love that clip at about 0:24 where Bob's fingers run up the fretboard like a spider.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok so these are pretty scary, but we used to think Countdown was pretty good in its day...

Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

These are great!! Thanks for putting them up! I hadn't heard of the show Countdown before. Is it Australian?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
These are great!! Thanks for putting them up! I hadn't heard of the show Countdown before. Is it Australian?
Yes it was Australian, which makes it interesting that they mention in those clips that Bob was the guest host one week. Weird...

Surprisingly there is heaps of Bob Welch stuff to be found on YouTube...
Old 11-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
You do have to get ready to scroll when you visit Bob's website. Bob's website is like an old rambling mansion ... with all sorts of rooms and closets and niches where you can find good stuff. I like its layout a lot better than many websites that are full of flash crap and annoying animations.
See I would describe his website like looking through Granny's attic. Most of it is worthless but occasionally you find a few gems...
Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
See I would describe his website like looking through Granny's attic. Most of it is worthless but occasionally you find a few gems...
Well, as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure. The same is true of what you find in Granny's attic ... or Bob's big rambling website. LOL
Old 11-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Finally a couple of promo clips also hunted down on YouTube! So who is the woman he is kissing in Sentimental Lady? Anyone know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZkSf59yNI4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnJOsfalSYs
Old 11-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm totally igonrant as far as Bob Welsh goes, me being a fan of the Rumours era. But this year, all I wanted to hear from FM is from the "Bermuda Triangle" CD. I just love those live cuts of Bermuda Triange and Hypnotized. FM was never better, wonderful stuff. Bob is just a great musician, bringing out the best in everyone in the band. I wish LB would have that quality.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm totally igonrant as far as Bob Welsh goes, me being a fan of the Rumours era.
First of all, it's Welch, not Welsh. (Welsh is the witch, LOL.)

There are only five albums from the Welch era, all readily available. Buy them and listen. You will be a happier person than you were before they were in your life.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
First of all, it's Welch, not Welsh. (Welsh is the witch, LOL.)

There are only five albums from the Welch era, all readily available. Buy them and listen. You will be a happier person than you were before they were in your life.
LOL, I swear that I just made a stupid typo, I know that it is Welch - and I own all of the albums, just the listening part is so far missing.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
LOL, I swear that I just made a stupid typo, I know that it is Welch - and I own all of the albums, just the listening part is so far missing.
You really need to listen to them, especially (in my opinion) Heroes, Mystery and Penguin. Bob was on the top of his game back then.

It is also worth chasing up a couple of Bob's solo albums, specifically Three Hearts and French Kiss. The rest of his solo career has, in general, been pretty hit and miss. If you don't mind the heavier stuff, the chase up the two Paris albums as well.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You really need to listen to them, especially (in my opinion) Heroes, Mystery and Penguin. Bob was on the top of his game back then.

It is also worth chasing up a couple of Bob's solo albums, specifically Three Hearts and French Kiss. The rest of his solo career has, in general, been pretty hit and miss. If you don't mind the heavier stuff, the chase up the two Paris albums as well.
Good long-term advice, but don't be intimidated in the short term. Just take it one album at a time. Start with 'Future Games,' since it was the first chronologically. Just put it on and listen.

You don't have time today to listen to all five of the Welch era albums, and you don't have time today to find copies of all of Bob's solo work, but you DO have time to listen to 'Future Games.' Do it. You won't regret it. The title song was one of the defining moments of Bob's career, plus you'll get some tasty material from Christine and Danny, too.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Good long-term advice, but don't be intimidated in the short term. Just take it one album at a time. Start with 'Future Games,' since it was the first chronologically. Just put it on and listen.

You don't have time today to listen to all five of the Welch era albums, and you don't have time today to find copies of all of Bob's solo work, but you DO have time to listen to 'Future Games.' Do it. You won't regret it. The title song was one of the defining moments of Bob's career, plus you'll get some tasty material from Christine and Danny, too.
Hmm...do you think Future Games is the best place to start? I'd be skipping Future Games and Bare Trees and jumping right into the good stuff. Oh yeah I'll admit that Lay It All Down is perhaps one of the best Bob Welch songs of all time, but it is the one redeeming feature of the album IMO.

Personally I'd start with Heroes and work backwards but perhaps I only think that way because that is what I did.