The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!
Default Paul Simon's new album

Anyone have it? I guess it's called "Suprise".
I've only heard the one song from it, the "who's gonna love you when your looks are gone" song (Outrageous).
I can't imagine the album would be crappy, but I'd like to hear a few other opinions.
I love that man, I always have and always will. His songs are beautiful, his lyrics insightful.
This new song is no exception.

Anyone?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just noticed that his website is featuring streams of the songs from the albums (only one song is complete, though) and the lyrics—beautiful lyrics, as always. I "dropped the needle" on several of them, and like them all, so I guess I will have to buy it.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragandbone
I just noticed that his website is featuring streams of the songs from the albums (only one song is complete, though) and the lyrics—beautiful lyrics, as always. I "dropped the needle" on several of them, and like them all, so I guess I will have to buy it.
Really? Any chance of you passing that site along?
Thanks, I suspected as much.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
When all else fails, try the obvious: PaulSimon.com

Mr. Simon: My hero. He's great and I like his sound on this album. Heading to Tower yet again.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks, I suspected as much.
Hey now - what's this all about? I am looking at the ledge, periodically while I work, so I hadn't read your reply yet, or I would have pasted the link. Sorry. I just thought it wasn't necessary because I said "his" site. I often think people will tire of the many URLs I put into my posts.

Last edited by ragandbone; 05-21-2006 at 04:11 PM..
Old 05-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

I was never a fan...but I do enjoy "50 Ways to Leave your Lover" and "Still Crazy After All These years"........
Old 05-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hey now - what's this all about? I am looking at the ledge, periodically while I work, so I hadn't read your reply yet, or I would have pasted the link. Sorry. I just thought it wasn't necessary because I said "his" site. I often think people will tire of the many URLs I put into my posts.
I didn't notice you said "his", but I didn't mind that you didn't post the url. Especially since I was being a retard and didn't see "his" and didn't think of Paulsimon.com
I said "I suspected as much" in reference to you saying you liked all the songs.
In my experience, Paul has very few missteps. Genius.

Thanks Mom!

Last edited by amber; 05-21-2006 at 04:30 PM..
Old 05-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have always regarded Paul Simon as one of the best lyricists ever. Im glad he's got a new CD out. and that site, PaulSimon.com, has samples and some full tracks of the track listing. check out the news items too.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anyone have it? I guess it's called "Suprise".
I've only heard the one song from it, the "who's gonna love you when your looks are gone" song (Outrageous).
I can't imagine the album would be crappy, but I'd like to hear a few other opinions.
I love that man, I always have and always will. His songs are beautiful, his lyrics insightful.
This new song is no exception.

Anyone?
I love the new album. I was so going to post a Paul Simon thread here if no one else did, so thank you. He's just amazing. I'm passionately in love with his music. His songs are soooooo beautiful and, often enough, just perfect to me.

I really recommend "Surprise". I won't lie, at first I was a little underwhelmed but after playing it again and again I have become obsessed and adore it all the way through. I play it everyday now. Fave songs: How Can You Live in the Northeast, Everything About it is a Love Song, Father and Daughter, Wartime Prayers, Sure Don't Feel Like Love, Once Upon a Time There Was an Ocean, and Outrageous...but they're all great to me.

I'm seeing him in concert in June. So excited.

Last edited by Nico; 05-21-2006 at 06:27 PM..
Old 05-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I love the new album. I was so going to post a Paul Simon thread here if no one else did, so thank you. He's just amazing. I'm passionately in love with his music. His songs are soooooo beautiful and, often enough, just perfect to me.

I really recommend "Surprise". I won't lie, at first I was a little underwhelmed but after playing it again and again I have become obsessed and adore it all the way through. I play it everyday now. Fave songs: How Can You Live in the Northeast, Everything About it is a Love Song, Father and Daughter, Wartime Prayers, Sure Don't Feel Like Love, Once Upon a Time There Was an Ocean, and Outrageous...but they're all great to me.

I'm seeing him in concert in June. So excited.
Father and Daughter - is that the one that was released last year, and was on the rugrats soundtrack? That was beautiful.
What underwhelmed you at first? I was a little underwhelmed when I heard him start that song on SNL (I guess it was how can you live in the northeast? Wait, he did Outrageous as well), but as it went on a bit I was hooked, and also heard some subtle but interesting music parts that weren't necessarily readily apparent at first in the overall tone.
Thanks for the review! I'll have to get this. This is a guy who puts out albums where I like all the songs, and it sounds like he's done it again. (yeah?)

Last edited by amber; 05-21-2006 at 07:06 PM..
Old 05-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Father and Daughter - is that the one that was released last year, and was on the rugrats soundtrack? That was beautiful.
What underwhelmed you at first? I was a little underwhelmed when I heard him start that song on SNL (I guess it was how can you live in the northeast? Wait, he did Outrageous as well), but as it went on a bit I was hooked, and also heard some subtle but interesting music parts that weren't necessarily readily apparent at first in the overall tone.
Thanks for the review! I'll have to get this. This is a guy who puts out albums where I like all the songs, and it sounds like he's done it again. (yeah?)
Yup, the one from the soundtrack. I love the song. I am especially close to my dad, so it's very special to me.

Hmm...I think what underwhelmed me was there wasn't an immediate "hook" that jumped out at me. I mean, I wasn't expecting Boy in the Bubble or Loves Me Like a Rock off the bat, but I had to search a little to find all the hidden nuances. With the first listen, I didn't really find them all. But it was a bonus because I appreciated it more and more with each listen, and now I love it to death. It's like one of the most beautiful albums for me. Certainly one of the best by an "old rock legend" that has come out in the past few years. His lyrics on this album are beautiful.

I missed him on SNL.

But yes! Get the album. You'll love it.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
Yup, the one from the soundtrack. I love the song. I am especially close to my dad, so it's very special to me.

Hmm...I think what underwhelmed me was there wasn't an immediate "hook" that jumped out at me. I mean, I wasn't expecting Boy in the Bubble or Loves Me Like a Rock off the bat, but I had to search a little to find all the hidden nuances. With the first listen, I didn't really find them all. But it was a bonus because I appreciated it more and more with each listen, and now I love it to death. It's like one of the most beautiful albums for me. Certainly one of the best by an "old rock legend" that has come out in the past few years. His lyrics on this album are beautiful.

I missed him on SNL.

But yes! Get the album. You'll love it.
Yeah, I figured that was why.

That's fine by me.

I like that father/daughter song too.

The one I fell in love with first from Graceland was the duet with Linda Ronstadt. I thought I had never heard anything so beautiful.
But of course I had loved his/their music all my life.

Last edited by amber; 05-21-2006 at 08:29 PM..
Old 05-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn't notice you said "his", but I didn't mind that you didn't post the url. Especially since I was being a retard and didn't see "his" and didn't think of Paulsimon.com
I said "I suspected as much" in reference to you saying you liked all the songs.
In my experience, Paul has very few missteps. Genius.

Thanks Mom!
Groovy - I thought I you were peeved. I must be hyper-sensitive today.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Groovy - I thought I you were peeved. I must be hyper-sensitive today.
No problem. It wasn't the absolute most well worded post I've ever written.