User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Mark Duplass finds the video a surefire pick me up] 2/25/2015

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ie-nicks/?_r=0

Stevie Nicks, backstage on an early ’80s Rolling Stone shoot, singing “Wild Heart” on a bad VHS recording

“When I’m feeling a little depressed, a little anxious, a little depleted, I lean on that clip. And it works about 100 percent of the time! It’s about the magic of a weird little moment that you can’t plan. I’ve built my whole creative process around that. You can feel lightning in the video — she’s making up harmonies as she goes, on a warbled VHS that should put her out of tune but somehow doesn’t. The recording of ‘Wild Heart’ that she professionally made and meticulously crafted six months later, it pales in comparison to that moment.” Ebet Roberts/The New York Times
Old 09-05-2016, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stereo Gum, 9/5/2016

http://www.stereogum.com/1897218/jus...r-single/news/

Justin Vernon Explains Uncredited Sample Of Viral Stevie Nicks Video On New Bon Iver Single by Peter Helman

Bon Iver performed their upcoming album 22, A Million in its entirety at Justin Vernon’s Eaux Claires Festival last month. Last night, Vernon held a press conference to debut the official studio version of the LP, inviting journalists to Eau Claire, Wisconsin’s unopened Oxbow Hotel to hear it and participate in a 90-minute Q&A session.
When Bon Iver’s new single “10 d E A T h b R E a s T ⊠ ⊠” arrived a few weeks ago, many recognized a sample from a popular YouTube video of Stevie Nicks singing “Wild Heart” backstage. And at the press conference last night, as Pitchfork reports, Vernon explained why he used it and why it’s not officially credited:

She requested that we not talk about it in the liner notes. I respected her wishes. Mostly didn’t want to get asked about working together when we didn’t work together. And I totally get that. It’s from my favorite YouTube video of all time. It’s just her warming up in 1981 getting her hair did and singing her song “Wild Heart,” which in my opinion was never properly recorded. There’s this beautiful YouTube of her singing and someone offstage singing harmony. It’s just the best piece of music. That little bit “wild wild wild heart,” that’s that sample.

In addition, Vernon discussed the album’s departure in sound:

I think it’s that thing of wanting to bash things apart a little bit and break through some stuff. And I needed it to sound a little radical to feel good about putting something out in the world. For me, it’s not embarrassing, but the old records are of this kind of sad nature — I was healing myself through that stuff. Being sad about something is okay. And then wallowing in it, circling though the same cycles emotionally just feels boring. For this one, there’s still some dark stuff and whatever, but I think cracking things, making things that are bombastic and exciting and also new, and mashing things together, and explosiveness and shouting more, I think that was the zone. I think shouting. Whispering was maybe the thing before. But this time –[hits his keyboard and makes a loud robot sound]

According to Vernon, the album is dedicated to singer/songwriter Richard Buckner and Bernice Johnson Reagon, who founded the a cappella group Sweet Honey In The Rock.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's odd that she specifically asked not to be credited.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Stereo Gum, 9/5/2016

http://www.stereogum.com/1897218/jus...r-single/news/

Justin Vernon Explains Uncredited Sample Of Viral Stevie Nicks Video On New Bon Iver Single by Peter Helman

Bon Iver performed their upcoming album 22, A Million in its entirety at Justin Vernon’s Eaux Claires Festival last month. Last night, Vernon held a press conference to debut the official studio version of the LP, inviting journalists to Eau Claire, Wisconsin’s unopened Oxbow Hotel to hear it and participate in a 90-minute Q&A session.
When Bon Iver’s new single “10 d E A T h b R E a s T ⊠ ⊠” arrived a few weeks ago, many recognized a sample from a popular YouTube video of Stevie Nicks singing “Wild Heart” backstage. And at the press conference last night, as Pitchfork reports, Vernon explained why he used it and why it’s not officially credited:

She requested that we not talk about it in the liner notes. I respected her wishes. Mostly didn’t want to get asked about working together when we didn’t work together. And I totally get that. It’s from my favorite YouTube video of all time. It’s just her warming up in 1981 getting her hair did and singing her song “Wild Heart,” which in my opinion was never properly recorded. There’s this beautiful YouTube of her singing and someone offstage singing harmony. It’s just the best piece of music. That little bit “wild wild wild heart,” that’s that sample.

In addition, Vernon discussed the album’s departure in sound:

I think it’s that thing of wanting to bash things apart a little bit and break through some stuff. And I needed it to sound a little radical to feel good about putting something out in the world. For me, it’s not embarrassing, but the old records are of this kind of sad nature — I was healing myself through that stuff. Being sad about something is okay. And then wallowing in it, circling though the same cycles emotionally just feels boring. For this one, there’s still some dark stuff and whatever, but I think cracking things, making things that are bombastic and exciting and also new, and mashing things together, and explosiveness and shouting more, I think that was the zone. I think shouting. Whispering was maybe the thing before. But this time –[hits his keyboard and makes a loud robot sound]

According to Vernon, the album is dedicated to singer/songwriter Richard Buckner and Bernice Johnson Reagon, who founded the a cappella group Sweet Honey In The Rock.
I listened to the single and can't even here the sample.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Well considering you can't even here the sample, no wonder. I think the story is bogus. You can't here the sample, so I'm sure people didn't wonder who it was.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
The sample is sped up, like you put an album on the turntable and switched it from 33 1/3 to 45 rpms. It sounds a little like the old Alvin and the Chipmunk recordings.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
What song are you referencing? Can't Go Back? If so, this isn't so much a version; it's an early instrumental template of the song. I first saw this clip on a bootleg VCR tape I obtained decades ago from a bootleg trade -- a seemingly primitive era, long before the internet existed. I never made the correlation between the two songs at the time.

Fleetwood Mac was in the early stages of recording Mirage, while Stevie was developing material for her second album. It appears that she used Lindsey's early instrumental track as a guideline for the gestation of Wild Heart. They released the album, and embarked a short tour. Then Stevie went to work on her second solo album. The song evolved into an epic saga with very little relation to the song that became Can't Go Back.

The clip is interesting from a historical standpoint. It' shows the song in primitive form, lacking the arrangement (and probably the lyrics that became the end result.
It's insightful for several reasons. It reveals one of the techniques Stevie uses to develop her songs. It's also the precursor of Sharon's and Laurie's assimilation into the Fleetwood Mac camp, after as Stevie formed life-long, sisters of the moon bonds with them in her Bella Donna phase.
I have a cassette recording from a radio interview she did back when she was on tour for the album in Boston where she talks about how the final WH song came from two different pieces that she wrote and ultimately put together. The "where is this reason" part that we hear in the video and the "something in my heart died last night" part. I'll have to see if I can dig it out.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Judging from the internet comments the sample has been sped up and the pitch changed...
Old 09-13-2016, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Stevie didn't want a ton of press asking her about working together when they didn't...