Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey in The Heartbreakers?

I posted something about this in the Stevie thread but some of you might not go in there

The latest Men's Journal has a good interview with Tom Petty in which they discuss the track he collaborated with Lindsey on for the She's The One soundtrack which the author loved but which Tom says he doesn't really remember because he hated the album so much. Then he says that what he DOES remember is that he tried to get Lindsey to join The Heartbreakers, because he wanted someone else who could be a frontman in the band so he didn't have to take on that whole burden.

The writer then talks about how it was Stevie who really, really wanted to join his band and paints a somewhat unflattering picture of Stevie just following them around on tour and showing up at his house even though they made fun of her clothes and stuff.

There's some highlights of the interview online but the Lindsey stuff you gotta read in the magazine.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/...-down-20140717
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I posted something about this in the Stevie thread but some of you might not go in there

The latest Men's Journal has a good interview with Tom Petty in which they discuss the track he collaborated with Lindsey on for the She's The One soundtrack which the author loved but which Tom says he doesn't really remember because he hated the album so much. Then he says that what he DOES remember is that he tried to get Lindsey to join The Heartbreakers, because he wanted someone else who could be a frontman in the band so he didn't have to take on that whole burden.

The writer then talks about how it was Stevie who really, really wanted to join his band and paints a somewhat unflattering picture of Stevie just following them around on tour and showing up at his house even though they made fun of her clothes and stuff.

There's some highlights of the interview online but the Lindsey stuff you gotta read in the magazine.

interesting, thanks for sharing!

so Stevie wanted to join Heartbreakers to the point of being a total pain in Petty's a$$, but he wanted Lindsey, not her.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's the quote about Lindsey and their working together on Walls for the She's The One soundtrack:

But at least the session produced one good anecdote, “I do remember trying to talk Lindsey into joining the band that night,” he says. “Stevie wasn’t playing with them at the time, so I said, ‘Why don’t you just join our band and get the heat off of me?’ I never wanted to be the front guy—I got that job and I’ve been stuck with it ever since.”

(his quote about Stevie is in the Stevie forum)
Old 07-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

so Stevie wanted to join Heartbreakers to the point of being a total pain in Petty's a$$, but he wanted Lindsey, not her.
well she was trying to join them in the late 70s/early 80s and Tom tried to get Linds to join them in the mid 90s. But I do wonder if she knows they asked Lindsey to join.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from an article about Tom Petty's albums:

Boston Herald, August 29, 2014 By: Jed Gottlieb, Music

http://bostonherald.com/entertainmen..._petty_clunker

Petty opens the album with “Walls (Circus),” a tremendous track with a chorus so beautiful, you could weep for days (those Lindsey Buckingham harmony vocals slay me). After a sweet high, things fall off. But really lousy stuff? Nope, even the dopey “California” has a joyous charm and the long “Hung Up and Overdue” redeems itself during a lovely instrumental outro.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
well she was trying to join them in the late 70s/early 80s and Tom tried to get Linds to join them in the mid 90s. But I do wonder if she knows they asked Lindsey to join.
Don't take it so seriously. Stevie, by force, enjoyed being involved with the Heartbreakers, but she wasn't going to defect from Fleetwood Mac or her solo career. And Tom Petty was joking about having Lindsey taking over the reins to relieve Tom of all the weight he had to carry. All of that talk was in jest when Lindsey was just doing sessions work with them. There was never going to be a Lindsey Buckingham and the Heartbreakers band.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-02-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Old 08-30-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Reminds me of when Ken said she wanted to play percussive instruments on Rumours and they had her mic turned off. Then later had Christine or Mick handle it. You can also always hear Christine's tamborine or Maracas in a live setting, but rarely Stevie's. Anyway, another person eluding to the fact that people thought she was on cloud nine. But Stevie has the last laugh.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 08-30-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

History repeating.