The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Why Do You Like (Insert Band or Musician)??

They can be any musician or band...

~~

For my entry, it'll be Steely Dan. I discovered them several years ago, and now it seems I'm on one of their music kicks every day. I still love FM, and always will, but they are just right up there, along with the Doobie Brothers and Genesis.

The reason I started liking them was because of their lyrics. If you see my signature, I have lyrics to "The Caves of Altamira", which the chorus had one of the best lines ever: "when there wasn't even any Hollywood".

More songs by them with great lyrics:
"Black Friday"
"Peg"
"Do It Again"
"Night By Night"
"Time Out of Mind"

~~

So, what are your reasons for liking (insert band or musician's name)??

(referring to the "Death Star" laser)
Dr. Evil- "...I thought we'd name it in his honor: The Alan Parsons Project."
Scott- "The Alan Parsons Project was a progressive rock band from 1982. Why don't you just name it Operation Wang Chung?"
Old 04-19-2004, 06:33 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'll give it a try

Dave Matthews Band

I discovered them waaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1994. Everyone was getting pretty 'tired' of the whole 'I'm mad as hell and I don't care who knows it' attitude of grudge...(however, I am still a Pearl Jam fan )...Anywho...

Enter DMB. I heard What Would You Say on the radio, thought it was a funny funky little song...then I heard Ants Marching...thought it was a funny funky little song...then I heard Jimi Thing and I was blown away.WHOA!!

Been hooked ever since and I think alot of it has to do with the diversity of the band. You have 5 guys all different ages (Carter is closing in on 50 while Stefan is closing in on 30)...5 different backgrounds...with 5 very distinctive tastes in music. Each member brought their influences of jazz, blues, funk, folk, bluegrass and reggae and threw it all together. It's just a great melting pot of music in it's purest form. I mean, a violin in a 'rock' band??? I can't begin to explain how great the music is and how it may look odd on paper, it all comes together beautifully.

The lyrics (mostly written by Dave Matthews) range from the puzzling and profound to the silly and strange. But in each and every song there's a message of hope. A reminder to love and live to the fullest. And me, being the eternal hippie (I really was born way to late) it suits me and my life perfectly

Live shows are their biggest accomplishment. Rarely do they repeat a set list on the same tour...every night is a mini-woodstock...every night there's a magical moment...a beautiful jam, a haunting new lyric or memories made with 20,000 of your closest friends. I've never had a bad experience at a DMB show.

I could go on and on, but won't bore you any further. Fleetwood Mac and their music, for me, are like old friends...you don't always keep in touch, but they are always there when you need them...and they will never disappoint. And I'll always be grateful to have found them...but DMB has become a passion and a way of life...and never fails to lift me up...

Songs I'd recommend:

Jimi Thing
Warehouse
Seek Up
Bartender
Christmas Song
Too Much
Don't Drink The Water
Pig
(and I'll stop there )
Old 04-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Cool!

Talking Heads

I just started getting into them recently, but I'm obsessed already! (But not as much as with FM!) I got a few bootleged concerts of theirs off of sharingthegroove.org and I was very impressed. After a while of saving money, I went out and bought their Stop Making Sense DVD (Awsome, just plain awsome) and their Speaking In Tounges album.

One reason I like TH so much is that I like how unique David Byrne's lyrics are. They can range from story like (Once In A Lifetime, see sig.) to nonsense (Izimbra) to a list of random thoughts (Life During Wartime, Burning Down The House) to anything in between! Not to mention Tina Weymouth being a *great* bassist (who ranks with the best of them IMO).

Some cool songs:

Thank You For Sending Me An Angel
Take Me To The River [Al Green cover]
Psycho Killer
Nothing But Flowers
Burning Down The House
Life During Wartime
This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
Once In A Lifetime
Cities