Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default All these "prepared Speeches"

Why does lindsey always say the same stuff over and over again. For example the way he introduces Peacekeeper, Say Goodbye and Bleed To Love Her.
Now when im trying to think of examples I cant. But you all know what I mean, everything is rehearsed and prepared and we hear it again and again in intreviews and concerts.
Its almost as if we already know how he is going to answer the next question he is asked.

Whats that all about anyway.
Is there so much politics within Fleetwood Mac ("Industry", "Firm", "Company", "Group") that everyone is so afraid to say something incase the rest of the band members sue or something.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades
But you all know what I mean, everything is rehearsed and prepared and we hear it again and again in intreviews and concerts.
Its almost as if we already know how he is going to answer the next question he is asked.
So true. When I went to see them in Calgary, I had already heard the bootlegs from the tour and seen LIB, so I knew exactly what he was going to say. I think I said it along with him, which probably annoyed the people around me.

I'm not sure why he does is. I mean, I guess when you think about it, how many different things can you say about Peacekeeper or any particular song. Also, in the heat of being on stage, maybe he likes to have something prepared so he's not going "um...so...yeah" and he can focus on the music.

It's important to note that the whole band is guilty of the prepared speech thing. Obviously the "dedicatee" varies at each show for Landslide, but the "thank you for conitnuing to support this band" bit didn't. And Stevie's BC speech was basically the same thing every night. Chris was guilty of this during the Tusk tour, introducing Over & Over as "another song from the Tusk album...This is the first track on side one..."

I think the members of the band aren't big on talking to the audience. I was reading the other day about Christine's fear of it in the Cameron Crowe RS article. They'd probably rather get on with the music, but they have to engage the audience through these speeches.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'd imagine that Fleetwood Mac aren't the only ones who do this.

I find that Lindsey seems really nervous about speaking [and that's soooo cute ] and so, yeah, likes to have something prepared for that reason.

I don't think it's any big deal really, but I can understand why people don't like it.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara
I'd imagine that Fleetwood Mac aren't the only ones who do this.
They're certainly not the only band who tell the same stories about various songs night after night, but the level to which their "speeches" seem to be scripted is certainly unusual. Lindsey doesn't just talk about roughly the same things at every concert, he uses almost exactly the same words.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I find that Lindsey seems really nervous about speaking [and that's soooo cute ] and so, yeah, likes to have something prepared for that reason.
Yes, he is soooo cute! I especially love it when he whispers "I want you bad baby" in my ear every hour on the hour!
He is beyond cute!!! He is HOTSTUFF!
Old 05-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
Yes, he is soooo cute! I especially love it when he whispers "I want you bad baby" in my ear every hour on the hour!
He is beyond cute!!! He is HOTSTUFF!
Oh my God. Do you have a comeback for everything?! Don't answer that. You are too much for me, mate.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh my God. Do you have a comeback for everything?! Don't answer that. You are too much for me, mate.
For Lindsey, I will always comeback for more!

What? My Lindsey play-by-play is too much for my dear Sahara?

Sahara, say it isn't so!
Old 05-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Junior Ledgie

I know what you mean. I've found same thing true with the Grateful Dead after being a fan for many years. In later years, it started to bug me that they would never say anything to the audience, though in their early years they did frequently.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
What? My Lindsey play-by-play is too much for my dear Sahara?

Sahara, say it isn't so!
Of course not! What sort of a stalker do you take me for?!
It was a momentary fit of jealousy, nothing more. Next week he's mine, you understand?
Old 05-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliztzan
I know what you mean. I've found same thing true with the Grateful Dead after being a fan for many years. In later years, it started to bug me that they would never say anything to the audience, though in their early years they did frequently.

hey anothr dead / mac combo huh?
cool

i didn't really catch on to the dead til early 80's but i was always curious why they didn't say more as well - but i think they kinda got to the point where there was such a mystique around them - anything they said wasn't gonna be good enough or was gonna be bent for someone's gain
-
"hey i saw some great tie-dyes out there"

ten minutes later - folks in the lot with signs

"jerry's favorite tie-dyes sold here"

and kinda off topic here - ive read in some of the other threads how mac / nicks needed to jumble the set list night to night with different tunes etc etc . . .
and though that sounds great in theory for true fans - the dead were one of the few bands that could pull that **** off - the thing to remember when you want a band to do that kind of fresh list everynight - you are gonna get alot of stuff that sounds unrehearsed and off - (of course sometimes amazing sparkly things happen too - Or was that the kool-aid part?? - hmmm ) - i do wish mac/nicks would add some more off-beat stuff sometimes too - but their stuff comes accross much better with that practice polish to it -

whew - what a windbag i am

oh yah - (more wind)
when i heard red rover (my second fave song on the album) - i thought - man - that song would be hard to pull off live - to bad cos id love to hear it -

poof - i heard it alright
thanks lindsey - i had you wrong on that one
Old 05-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Registered

Default and speaking of not talking to the crowd . . .

i went to a concert in portland in the ninties -
bob dylan and tracy chapman

freakin hillarious - u would think neither of them knew that we were in the same room -

in fact the only interaction i saw was when ole bobby had to hock one towards the front of the stage in mid-song - i couldn't see over the people but someone lucky enough to have the foresight to bring a glass jar went home with some dylan dna -

"Look everyone - It's dylan loogie - I swear to God!!"

ahhhh memories -

when is that kool-aid gonna wear off
Old 05-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Junior Ledgie

nix4life

thats pretty cool nix3life. Ya, I've like Mac for a long time. Too bad I didn't like them live though. That was a bummer, but maybe it was just a bad show. That was in the early 80's when I saw them. Weirdness thing for me was it felt evil in that place. I'll never forget that. Even weirder is another friend told me that years later after she saw them. Anyway, still love 'em and their studio albums.

About the dead...Thats because they had more fun playing live in front of a crowd. It was hard to get the dead in the studio. they could never get the same vibes in there opposed to the magic that would happen when they played live. If you ever get a chance go see Ratdog or Dark Star Orchestra if you want another taste of the dead. Both are great and are still on tour in the US.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Registered

yah - i live in portland oregon so we get lots of visits from them dead head bands -

and you are right on the differences between dead and mac

dead were sooooooooDEAD in then studio -
but live - makin the **** up as they went -
wow - kick your ass - wow - and so they always were on tour

fleetwood mac just the opposite -
u get a tour every album if lucky - and i saw a couple dates in 80's that i was a bit embarassed at some points but . . . (stevies voice really isn't built for belting out night after night - - and when her voice gets rough - brother does it get rough - lol )
over all they were more rock and roll when they were just the five of them (with ray lindsey jumpin on accoustic guitar for go your own way ) - now they try more to recreate their albums as opposed to back then they did different interps of the some of the songs to make them work live - (sara comes to mind) -
anyhow - thanks for answering
Old 05-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Tusk!

ya, Lindsey is great. that is the part I remember from the show I saw. He was playing It's Not That Funny. That was really good, he is really into it and very good. That is why I love Tusk so much. If it weren't for him, Tusk probably wouldn't have been done.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

I haven't been to many concerts in my young life [yeah, everyone go 'Aww' ] but last year when I went to Elton John it was an outdoor concert and natuarally -- it being the height of July in Ireland -- it started to rain. So at the end of that song he started playing Singing in the Rain ... didn't sing it ... didn't say anything ... just let the crowd sing away as he played with this crazy little smile on his face. It. Was. Hilarious.

And I can't believe I'm seeing him again in exactly one week's time!