The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Registered

Default ‘Duck Dynasty’: Phil Robertson Suspended Indefinitely Following Anti-Gay Remarks

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/duck-dynast...003417098.html

only offer an opinion if you're fluent on the subject

“Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson has been placed on indefinite hiatus from the reality program following his controversial remarks in GQ magazine regarding homosexuality.

A+E Networks, parent company of A&E, has released the following statement to Variety:

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty. His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community.”

As noted in a previous Variety article, Robertson discusses in his GQ interview his religious beliefs and about sin, saying, “start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.” Then, the GQ writer paraphrases Corinthians saying, “don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers — they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

Robertson added in the interview, “It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

“Duck Dynasty” has been a ratings juggernaut for A&E, recently drawing around 9 million viewers for its Christmas special. Gurney Prods.-produced program can move on without Phil Robertson attached to the series, as the bearded men at the center of the Robertson clan include Jase, Willie and Uncle Si, among others.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just heard this on the 11pm news.

I had to sit through 2 hours of Duck Dynasty over my nephews house on Thanksgiving.Its just another retarded reality show.

After seen this show anybody with a camcorder can do a reality show and post it on YT and become a hit.

I should film my walks.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've read comments on my local NBC station's Facebook page about this. (Oh how I hate living in a place where people can't think without mentioning the bible). His first admendment right to freedom of speech was not violated. Hes not in jail. You can't expect to say something controversial and not have some repercussions, especially if you're in the public's eye.

I think that the show is stupid, and I'm tired of seeing their faces in every store I go into.

Yes, I'm pro gay and pro equal rights for everybody

Last edited by I'msoAfraid95; 12-18-2013 at 11:15 PM..
Old 12-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
I've read comments on my local NBC station's Facebook page about this. (Oh how I hate living in a place where people can't think without mentioning the bible). His first admendment right to freedom of speech was not violated. Hes not in jail. You can't expect to say something controversial and not have some repercussions, especially if you're in the public's eye.
I had to google Duck Dynasty (eesh!) but even with almost no knowledge of the subject, I love this post. Complete failure to understand speech laws in western nations is one of my biggest pet peeves. I hope you posted this on the facebook page. Some people just need it to be broken down very simply. "Nobody called the cops on him! Calm down!"

ETA: His quote of controversy doesn't actually bother me that much, now that I'm reading it again. He condemns same-sex sex as immoral. But then in the same breath condemns heterosexual promiscuity and a host of other things as sins. This doesn't seem like an anti-gay rant in particular. This is just a man operating on a Victorian sense of right and wrong, and seeming to at least be fairly consistent about it. It may be incredibly stupid, and kind of annoying, but it doesn't strike me as hateful. I'm not sure suspension was entirely fair. My guess is he's been pretty openly stupid and annoying since the network picked the show up.

But for the record, in response to his added comment, a man's anus is so insanely awesome. Seriously. He's missing out!

Last edited by Dex; 12-19-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I just heard this on the 11pm news.

I had to sit through 2 hours of Duck Dynasty over my nephews house on Thanksgiving.Its just another retarded reality show.

After seen this show anybody with a camcorder can do a reality show and post it on YT and become a hit.

I should film my walks.
You should do that! I'm sure it would make much more interesting, and high quality viewing, than this reality rubbish....what is the world coming to? Duck Dynasty?!?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Ha. Yes, there are many youtube users who have amassed followings based on similarly mundane things!

I am a fan of some youtubers and reality shows, though, so my claim to intellectual superiority is pretty much nil. Duck Dynasty, however, is honestly of no interest to me. It seems like its appeal is based on people who like watching "rednecks" be... well... rednecky. So the reaction to this particular redneck moment seems a little disingenuous.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Ha. Yes, there are many youtube users who have amassed followings based on similarly mundane things!

I am a fan of some youtubers and reality shows, though, so my claim to intellectual superiority is pretty much nil. Duck Dynasty, however, is honestly of no interest to me. It seems like its appeal is based on people who like watching "rednecks" be... well... rednecky. So the reaction to this particular redneck moment seems a little disingenuous.
I've also found some great youtubers, and some ok reality stuff . But I take Skip's word on this one - Duck Dynasty sounds a bit crap.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
I've also found some great youtubers, and some ok reality stuff . But I take Skip's word on this one - Duck Dynasty sounds a bit crap.
I live in a area similar to where the show is filmed. I know several people who could take place of the guy. His kind is the norm here.

I really dislike the show because it gives the world the fuel to say all American southerners are stupid and uneducated. We are actually very smart, both bookwise and common sense wise.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You are the ONLY person I have read commentating on this anywhere on the news or on the internet to actually address what was said, and to respond accordingly. Bravo! Now, let's extend that to GLAAD. Its response was totally inappropriate--as I read it, they basically vilified anal sex as "vile" and "stereotypical." While it is true that not all gay people engage in anal sex (specifically involving men's anuses), it does seem odd to me for GLAAD to characterize appreciation for men's anuses to be "vile" and stereotypical--maybe a generalization, but not stereotypical. And of all groups I would expect GLAAD to respond with some sort of support for sexual attraction to men's anuses, for those who have this attraction. In other words, its GLAAD's Gay Elite Puritanism vs. Duck Dynasty's Moral Victorianism. In this fight, I have to support Duck Dynasty. He makes the better argument. (Though not better than Dex's rejoinder hahaha!)

Quote:
I had to google Duck Dynasty (eesh!) but even with almost no knowledge of the subject, I love this post. Complete failure to understand speech laws in western nation is one of my biggest pet peeves. I hope you posted this on the facebook page. Some people just need it to be broken down very simply. "Nobody called the cops on him! Calm down!"

ETA: His quote of controversy doesn't actually bother me that much, now that I'm reading it again. He condemns same-sex sex as immoral. But then in the same breath condemns heterosexual promiscuity and a host of other things as sins. This doesn't seem like an anti-gay rant in particular. This is just a man operating on a Victorian sense of right and wrong, and seeming to at least be fairly consistent about it. It may be incredibly stupid, and kind of annoying, but it doesn't strike me as hateful. I'm not sure suspension was entirely fair. My guess is he's been pretty openly stupid and annoying since the network picked the show up.

But for the record, in response to his added comment, a man's anus is so insanely awesome. Seriously. He's missing out!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 12-19-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Old 12-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
I live in a area similar to where the show is filmed. I know several people who could take place of the guy. His kind is the norm here.

I really dislike the show because it gives the world the fuel to say all American southerners are stupid and uneducated. We are actually very smart, both bookwise and common sense wise.
This is what bugs me about these shows. They can really send out some bad messages, and stereotyping. Apparently they did one in Wales, choosing particular Welsh stereotypes, which sent out a completely wrong message about Wales as a whole. I didn't see any of it but I think it got some bad press.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I had to google Duck Dynasty (eesh!) but even with almost no knowledge of the subject, I love this post. Complete failure to understand speech laws in western nation is one of my biggest pet peeves. I hope you posted this on the facebook page. Some people just need it to be broken down very simply. "Nobody called the cops on him! Calm down!"

Victorian era of right and wrong. Well everybody always says the American south is behind the times.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is what bugs me about these shows. They can really send out some bad messages, and stereotyping. Apparently they did one in Wales, choosing particular Welsh stereotypes, which sent out a completely wrong message about Wales as a whole. I didn't see any of it but I think it got some bad press.
I couldn't agree more. I honestly don't know much of anything about Wales, but I sure wouldn't form my opinion based off of a few people.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
You are the ONLY person I have read commentating on this anywhere on the news or on the internet to actually address what was said, and to respond accordingly. Bravo! Now, let's extend that to GLAAD. Its response was totally inappropriate--as I read it, they basically vilified anal sex as "vile" and "stereotypical." While it is true that not all gay people engage in anal sex (specifically involving men's anuses), it does seem odd to me for GLAAD to characterize appreciation for men's anuses to be "vile" and stereotypical--maybe a generalization, but not stereotypical. And of all groups I would expect GLAAD to respond with some sort of support for sexual attraction to men's anuses, for those who have this attraction. In other words, its GLAAD's Gay Elite Puritanism vs. Duck Dynasty's Moral Victorianism. In this fight, I have to support Duck Dynasty. He makes the better argument. (Though not better than Dex's rejoinder hahaha!)
Good to see you.

I think what GLAAD was really objecting to was the reduction of gay men simply to practitioners of anal sex, and how problematic that is. But that's not really what they ended up saying, and their words were pretty abysmal, yes. To have my fondness for anal sex labelled "vile and extreme" from an organisation that is supposed to have my back is bizarre indeed.

I like the idea behind GLAAD, and think an organisation like that has its place, but these days they seem to be consistently misguided. I appreciate they have a tricky role to play which requires a certain finesse, but all I see them doing now is providing fuel for right-wing "political correctness gone mad" rants.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

When I first read this earlier, I read the last line first and thought what the f*ck is Dex talking about Then I read the original post, and it all became clear.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
When I first read this earlier, I read the last line first and thought what the f*ck is Dex talking about Then I read the original post, and it all became clear.

It's a fair enough default reaction, though. I do spew a lot of crap.