Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Come Out To Play

I listened to 'In the Meantime' today and guess what, I was thinking about the missing song "Come Out to Play" while I listened. I think it's a dynamite track. So I decided I should burn myself a copy of the entire album with COTP included.

My question is, where should I put COTP in the running order? The entire album really does tell a story -- going from the excitement of a new love affair, to the anger and disappointment when it goes sour, to thoughts of revenge, to coming to terms with what is, and a thank you to the friends and family who helped her get through it all. COTP definitely belongs in the section when the love affair was still a good one, but where would you put it?

Mary Anne, I know you have the definitive answer since you own the import version of the album with the song included, but please don't answer for a day or so -- I'd like to hear some opinions on where it *should* go -- and then you can tell me where it *does* go.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
the import version of the album with the song included
I missed out on this one. Is it the Japan version or something? I have the UK version & it's not on there, or was there a later pressing?

John
Old 02-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I listened to 'In the Meantime' today and guess what, I was thinking about the missing song "Come Out to Play" while I listened. I think it's a dynamite track. So I decided I should burn myself a copy of the entire album with COTP included.

My question is, where should I put COTP in the running order? The entire album really does tell a story -- going from the excitement of a new love affair, to the anger and disappointment when it goes sour, to thoughts of revenge, to coming to terms with what is, and a thank you to the friends and family who helped her get through it all. COTP definitely belongs in the section when the love affair was still a good one, but where would you put it?

Mary Anne, I know you have the definitive answer since you own the import version of the album with the song included, but please don't answer for a day or so -- I'd like to hear some opinions on where it *should* go -- and then you can tell me where it *does* go.
Joanne, OK I'll wait a few days before posting the track listing of my CD.

By the way, I did burn a new In The Meantime CD with all 14 tracks. I just put "Come Out To Play" & "Acoustic Friend" at the end as bonus tracks.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
I missed out on this one. Is it the Japan version or something? I have the UK version & it's not on there, or was there a later pressing?

John
John, this new song was on an Australian promo version of ITM. I believe someone posted last year that this same song was also on a promo CD from Holland too.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Good idea! About putting acoustic "Friend" on it -- that will definitely go at the end. But what about my original question? Come on Chris fans, you're not usually this shy about expressing your opinions.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Good idea! About putting acoustic "Friend" on it -- that will definitely go at the end. But what about my original question? Come on Chris fans, you're not usually this shy about expressing your opinions.
Um, ok, but I may get shot down on this one.

I really don't like 'Come Out and Play'. I find it quite bland and trite. Sorry. So I wouldn't put it anywhere on ITM. The rest of that album I love
Old 02-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Um, ok, but I may get shot down on this one.

I really don't like 'Come Out and Play'. I find it quite bland and trite. Sorry. So I wouldn't put it anywhere on ITM. The rest of that album I love
You won't get shot down here. I love "Come Out To Play", but maybe Chris didn't like it as much either, and maybe that's why she didn't put it on the completed album.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think ITM is almost the story of a love affair which starts out so well and then goes pear shaped. (I don't know how Anything is Possible fits in with this theory that's why I said almost)

So Come Out to Play doesn't quite fit anywhere except perhaps near the beginning.

I like Mary Anne's suggestion of having it as a bonus track

Gail
Old 02-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i've been without internet for a few days, so i didn't see this until now. that is a very interesting question. . .i'll have to sit down with ITM tonight and see where i like it best, then maybe i can post my opinion tomorrow.

as for acoustic friend, that should definitely be a bonus track. but i think "come out and play" could probably be inserted somewhere into the body of the album.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 PM

I think it belongs after Anything Is Possible.... I love this song... my only complaint is the lyrics are a little green... and I hate that high synth... as for the clavi sounds and her sort of new preachy voice that you get... I love it
Old 02-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I think it belongs after Anything Is Possible.... I love this song... my only complaint is the lyrics are a little green... and I hate that high synth... as for the clavi sounds and her sort of new preachy voice that you get... I love it
i'm going to have to agree. . .after "anything is possible" follows the thread of the relationship well, because everything proceeding "calumny" seems to follow the running down of the affair.

sometimes when i listen to ITM all the way through, i think that the one misplaced song is "bad journey". narratively it doesn't seem to fit between "northern star" and "calumny". i would have put CTP after "anything is possible" and then throw "bad journey" in after CTP. or maybe CTP, "anything is possible", "bad journey".

i've probably said it before, but i don't like "bad journey" all that much and would have had no problem if CTP had been substitued in it's place.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
after "anything is possible" follows the thread of the relationship well, because everything proceeding "calumny" seems to follow the running down of the affair.
I think the album goes as follows:

Friend - I miss life in L.A.
You Are - I've met someone!
Northern Star - I rely on him very much
Bad Journey - I think it's starting to go wrong
Anything is possible - I think I'll indulge in some casual sex to take my mind of it
Calumny - Now I know it's going wrong
So sincere - he's going to leave me
Easy come easy go - I hate him
Liar - bastard!
Sweet revenge - I think I'll kill him
Forgiveness - actually I forgive him
Givin it back - Thank you (but who to?)

Come out to play - I've never really looked at him in that way before but I may just ravish him on the spot! (see Anything is possible)

Gail
Old 02-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
John, this new song was on an Australian promo version of ITM. I believe someone posted last year that this same song was also on a promo CD from Holland too.
Ah OK thanks, I'll have to keep an eye out for these (though I'm sure they'll be hard to find). Is the aoustic version of "Friend" spoken of here availbale on a promo or something anywhere?

John
Old 02-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Ah OK thanks, I'll have to keep an eye out for these (though I'm sure they'll be hard to find). Is the aoustic version of "Friend" spoken of here availbale on a promo or something anywhere?

John
No "acoustic Friend" is on iTunes. It was an iTunes exclusive. I think you can still buy it there, although I haven't checked lately.

A promo CD with "Come Out To Play" is super, super rare. I've only seen one on eBay in over 2 years & I had to outbid someone else in order to win it.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, here is the track listing of my promo CD:

1. Anything Is Possible
2. You Are
3. Come Out To Play
4. Northern Star
5. Bad Journey
6. Friend
7. Calumny
8. So Sincere
9. Easy Come, Easy Go