Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Will the real Bob Welch please stand up-please stand up

Each guy has his own story, and Jake Peavy’s career path doesn’t necessarily have to follow anyone on that list. Bob Welch and Fergie Jenkins went on to be successful deep into their 30s. But on most of those 10 players you can draw a line at age 28 and look beyond, and you will see stories of injury, struggle and despair. Jake Peavy will be 29 next year.
http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-06...w-slammed-shut
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are fewer of them — 33, compared with the Assembly's 99 — so they have more power. They're up for election every four years, compared with the Assembly's two-year terms. And there's supposed to be a sense of decorum that isn't quite the same in the Assembly.

That was memorably demonstrated in a 2003 Senate debate about school vouchers. Sen. Gwen Moore wanted to continue the debate and railed about it even as Sen. Bob Welch was calling the vote, yelling, "There isn't going to be no roll call! I'm a duly elected senator! ... I've got the floor, buddy!"
http://www.postcrescent.com/article/...-to-fix-budget

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Welch's Blackberry Tales: London - Off to Hogwarts

By Bob Welch
Bob is a travel writer and designer/ producer of interactive entertainment. He's traveled through Europe, North America and Australia. Bob loves immersing himself in local cultures and writes about the food, drinks, architecture, music, ...
http://blackberrytravelog.blogspot.c...-hogwarts.html
Old 06-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Each guy has his own story, and Jake Peavy’s career path doesn’t necessarily have to follow anyone on that list. Bob Welch and Fergie Jenkins went on to be successful deep into their 30s. But on most of those 10 players you can draw a line at age 28 and look beyond, and you will see stories of injury, struggle and despair. Jake Peavy will be 29 next year.
http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-06...w-slammed-shut
Back in the 70's the LA Dodgers had almost an entire pitching staff of guys with the same name as rock guitarists:

Bob Welch
Steve Howe
Dave Stewart

there was one other whose name escapes me at the moment.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob & Sally Welch
Bob and Sally Welch are leaving June 18th for Haiti.

The following is from their news letter.

Where are we going?
Our destination is the small village of Terre Blanche, located 10 miles north of Gonaives. This is one of the poorest and most underserved areas of Haiti and this community is still struggling with the devastation from hurricane-caused floods last fall. Terre Blanche also experiences limited health care, the effects of extreme hunger and an unstable political situation. Thank you for your prayers – they are essential to God’s work!
http://www.gcfweb.org/b2evolution/bl...mp_sally_welch
Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The 2009 Civil War Encampment was bigger and better than ever before. Kyle Yoho was the brainchild behind the Woodsfield Civil War Encampment. An avid Civil War buff, Yoho, at age 15, organized the first Woodsfield encampment. That was four years ago. The encampment has grown every year since.

Visitors could step back in time to the camps of the Union and Confederate soldiers. The tents were set up, representative of those days of war between the states. There was a blacksmith, broom squire, store, cafe, commissary and more.

Visitors sat on hay bales as they listened to historian and songster Bob Welch as he presented “Songs of the Civil War.”
http://www.monroecountybeacononline...._2009_news.htm
Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bob Welch: Welcoming the gift of Summer

By Bob Welch

Register-Guard columnist

Published to Web: Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 11:44PM

After the initial shock, after the funeral, after the “Star Wars” party on what would have been their son Ethan’s seventh birthday, winter set in.

That’s how it felt for David and Lisa Forster, whose son died last July in a freak swimming pool accident in which, jumping into his grandfather’s arms, Ethan apparently knocked heads with 67-year-old John McGee and the blows killed them both.

I wrote about the boy and the party last August.

When you paste a column like that into your clip book, it’s over for you, the writer. You write something new. You turn the page. You move on.

Not so easily done for the Davids and Lisas of the world, whose lives are changed forever.

Lisa expressed her grief in words, blogging with honesty as brittle as icicles. “Meeting strangers has become very difficult because the ghost of my son hovers, asking, Will you acknowledge me or not?” she wrote.

People would ask her: “How many children do you have?” “Unfortunately,” she wrote in her blog, “I’m left feeling bad no matter how I respond to ‘the children’ question.”

Before Ethan’s death, remembers Lisa, life had been cyclical: winter, spring, summer, fall. Now, the warmth of summer seemed impossible. “Like you’ll never get out of the bad times,” she says. “You’re always looking for hope, for peace.”

If Lisa bared her wounded soul to the cyber world, David, a Register-Guard copy editor, trudged through the emotional snowdrifts with the get-on-with-it resolve he’d learn from a Marine Corps stepfather. It was, he says, as if he’d been transposed into Dostoyevsky’s “The Brothers Karamazov.”

“No matter how cold and miserable life was, you plowed ahead,” David says. “That’s how I was raised.”

When anyone dared to ask what it was like to lose a son, he’d want to say: “Remember that line from ‘A Few Good Men’ about how you can’t handle the truth? You don’t want to know. You’d feel too miserable if I told you.”

If they grieved differently, however, David and Lisa agreed on this: They wanted to have another child.

Not as some sort of replacement part to make their family run smoothly again. They’d always wanted a bigger family. Ava was 4; she could use a brother or sister. And, at 40, Lisa’s biological clock was ticking.

Ethan’s death had changed how Lisa and David looked at life. Suddenly, Lisa’s career — she’s in a journalism doctoral program at the University of Oregon — seemed so much less important. And David, who describes himself as “rational, scientific” — a guy who, originally, didn’t even want children — had come to believe that family was what life was all about.

“The rest of the stuff, we just make up to fill time,” he says. “It’s artificial.”

In October, Lisa learned she was pregnant. She was due on Mother’s Day, May 10. “Now I face my first Mother’s Day minus a child, but with another child due to be born the very day,” she wrote in her blog. “So, while I grieve for one, I may be welcoming another into the world. It’s bittersweet. Although I can’t imagine ever being truly happy again on this day.”

Mother’s Day came and went. No baby. Then, on the following Wednesday, a contraction hit Lisa with mega force.

She’d wanted to have the baby — gender unknown to the couple, on purpose — at the PeaceHealth Nurse Midwifery Birth Center in Eugene. But it was after hours, the answering service couldn’t reach a midwife and Lisa was in pain. “Get me to the hospital,” she told David.

They raced to Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend in their Subaru Outback. But just after their arrival came the phone call: a midwife could meet them in 10 minutes.

Back in the car, they headed from Springfield to Eugene. It was about midnight. “Faster!” said Lisa. “Faster.”

On Interstate 105, David complied, much to the dismay of a Eugene police officer who pulled him over for speeding. But when the officer saw Lisa’s condition — and heard her scream during a contraction — he sent them on their way.

David and Lisa’s daughter was born about 3 a.m. Her middle name, Elexis, was purposely spelled with an “E” — not the more traditional “A” — in honor of Ethan. And her first name was purposely chosen to offset what Lisa calls the “dark, desolate place” they’ve been:

Summer. As in Summer Elexis Forster.

Bob Welch is at 338-2354 or bob.welch@registerguard.com.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms...4-35/story.csp
Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Pebble in the water: How libraries matter more than they might know

Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Bob Welch, award winning Oregon author, Keynote at SSD Conference

Based on his Oregon Book Award – finalist book, American Nightingale, Welch discusses his four-year journey to research, write, promote it – and how integral libraries were to the process.

Welch is the general columnist at The Register-Guard in Eugene and twice has won top honors in the National Society of Newspaper Columnist contest. He has written 12 books, had stories of his published in numerous collections and been published in such magazines as Reader’s Digest, Sports Illustrated and Los Angeles Times. Additionally, he is an adjunct professor of journalism at the University of Oregon, and found of the Beachside Writers Workshop in Yachats, Oregon.

For more information visit Bob’s website at www.bobwelch.net
http://supportabilityoregonlibrarysu...on-author.html
Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
By Bob Welch

Register-Guard columnist

Published to Web: Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 11:44PM

After the initial shock, after the funeral, after the “Star Wars” party on what would have been their son Ethan’s seventh birthday, winter set in.

That’s how it felt for David and Lisa Forster, whose son died last July in a freak swimming pool accident in which, jumping into his grandfather’s arms, Ethan apparently knocked heads with 67-year-old John McGee and the blows killed them both.

I wrote about the boy and the party last August.

When you paste a column like that into your clip book, it’s over for you, the writer. You write something new. You turn the page. You move on.

Not so easily done for the Davids and Lisas of the world, whose lives are changed forever.

Lisa expressed her grief in words, blogging with honesty as brittle as icicles. “Meeting strangers has become very difficult because the ghost of my son hovers, asking, Will you acknowledge me or not?” she wrote.

People would ask her: “How many children do you have?” “Unfortunately,” she wrote in her blog, “I’m left feeling bad no matter how I respond to ‘the children’ question.”

Before Ethan’s death, remembers Lisa, life had been cyclical: winter, spring, summer, fall. Now, the warmth of summer seemed impossible. “Like you’ll never get out of the bad times,” she says. “You’re always looking for hope, for peace.”

If Lisa bared her wounded soul to the cyber world, David, a Register-Guard copy editor, trudged through the emotional snowdrifts with the get-on-with-it resolve he’d learn from a Marine Corps stepfather. It was, he says, as if he’d been transposed into Dostoyevsky’s “The Brothers Karamazov.”

“No matter how cold and miserable life was, you plowed ahead,” David says. “That’s how I was raised.”

When anyone dared to ask what it was like to lose a son, he’d want to say: “Remember that line from ‘A Few Good Men’ about how you can’t handle the truth? You don’t want to know. You’d feel too miserable if I told you.”

If they grieved differently, however, David and Lisa agreed on this: They wanted to have another child.

Not as some sort of replacement part to make their family run smoothly again. They’d always wanted a bigger family. Ava was 4; she could use a brother or sister. And, at 40, Lisa’s biological clock was ticking.

Ethan’s death had changed how Lisa and David looked at life. Suddenly, Lisa’s career — she’s in a journalism doctoral program at the University of Oregon — seemed so much less important. And David, who describes himself as “rational, scientific” — a guy who, originally, didn’t even want children — had come to believe that family was what life was all about.

“The rest of the stuff, we just make up to fill time,” he says. “It’s artificial.”

In October, Lisa learned she was pregnant. She was due on Mother’s Day, May 10. “Now I face my first Mother’s Day minus a child, but with another child due to be born the very day,” she wrote in her blog. “So, while I grieve for one, I may be welcoming another into the world. It’s bittersweet. Although I can’t imagine ever being truly happy again on this day.”

Mother’s Day came and went. No baby. Then, on the following Wednesday, a contraction hit Lisa with mega force.

She’d wanted to have the baby — gender unknown to the couple, on purpose — at the PeaceHealth Nurse Midwifery Birth Center in Eugene. But it was after hours, the answering service couldn’t reach a midwife and Lisa was in pain. “Get me to the hospital,” she told David.

They raced to Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend in their Subaru Outback. But just after their arrival came the phone call: a midwife could meet them in 10 minutes.

Back in the car, they headed from Springfield to Eugene. It was about midnight. “Faster!” said Lisa. “Faster.”

On Interstate 105, David complied, much to the dismay of a Eugene police officer who pulled him over for speeding. But when the officer saw Lisa’s condition — and heard her scream during a contraction — he sent them on their way.

David and Lisa’s daughter was born about 3 a.m. Her middle name, Elexis, was purposely spelled with an “E” — not the more traditional “A” — in honor of Ethan. And her first name was purposely chosen to offset what Lisa calls the “dark, desolate place” they’ve been:

Summer. As in Summer Elexis Forster.

Bob Welch is at 338-2354 or bob.welch@registerguard.com.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms...4-35/story.csp
wow....sad story but out of that came lifted spirits in their daughter...I love her name, so approriate....