Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rick Vito to appear at Guitar Festival in Shreveport

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...plate=printart

Guitar festival to feature a mix of musical styles

March 2, 2007

Schedule
March 30: 6 p.m. to midnight, Party on the Plaza, Festival Plaza, downtown Shreveport, $3.
March 31: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Guitar Showdown, Festival Plaza, $3.
7 p.m. James Burton and Friends Concert, Municipal Auditorium, 705 Elvis Presley Ave., Shreveport, $25 to $100.
April 1: 2 p.m., Kids R Rockin Concert, Municipal Auditorium, $10.
Tickets

For tickets or more information visit www.jamesburtonmusic.com or call (318) 424-5000.

The performers

Rick Derringer: Had a No. 1 hit with The McCoys for the song "Hang On Sloopy" when he was 17 years old; featured on Grammy nominated hits "Free Ride" and Frankenstein; has appeared with Alice Cooper, Steely Dan, Cyndi Lauper, Barbara Streisand and KISS; produced Weird Al's Grammy winning parodies "I'm Fat" and "Eat It"; transitioned into smooth jazz in 2002 where "Hot and Cool" was in the Top 20 for 5 months.
Chris Isaak: Has released 9 albums and 12 singles; nominated for 2 Grammys; has acted in several movies and has his own TV series; best known for "Wicked Game" and "Heart Shaped World."
Steven Seagal: Known for his film career with "Above the Law," "Hard to Kill," "Marked For Death," "Under Seige" and more; proficient blues artist; currently touring Europe to promote album "Mojo Priest."
Ed King: Member of southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd; best known for the opening of "Sweet Home Alabama": inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006; also known for "Strawberry Alarm Clock" and "Gimme 3 Steps."
Monte Montgomery: Named one of the Top 50 Guitarist of All Time; known as the "Evil Knievel of Guitar"; has unique finger and pick style of playing.
Rick Vito: Part of Fleetwood Mac from 1987-1991; featured on Bob Seger's "Little A Rock"; has recorded with Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne; known for "Black Magic Woman" and "The Chain."
Thom Bresch: Named one of the 100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists; son of Merle Travis.
The Cox Family: From Cotton Valley; made up of father, son and two daughters; play country, bluegrass and gospel; appeared with Allison Krause; Sidney, one of the daughters wrote a number of Grammy winning songs, including "I've Got That Old Feeling."
Lee Roy Parnell: Texas born and bred country hit-maker that has a streak of southern rock, soul and blues; hits include "If the House is Rockin'."
Muriel Anderson: Nation finger-picking guitar champion who writes, composes and sings, host of Muriel Anderson Guitar Night; plays a variety of music from folk, classical, jazz, bluegrass and international music.
Doyle Dykes: Toured with The Stamps Quartet and Grandpa Jones from the Grand Ole Opry; played with Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Duane Eddy, Peter Frampton, John Fogerty, Vince Gill and more.
Dickie Betts: Played with the Allman Brothers; known for "Jessica and "Ramblin Man"; plays southern rock, blues, blues-rock and jam; tours with the Dickie Betts band.
Emcee for the concert John Goodman: Golden Globe winner and Emmy nominated actor; best known for sitcom "Roseanne"; played Jake Blues in the Blues Brothers Band; has acted in over 78 movies and has 5 scheduled for the next year and a half.

By Stephanie Netherton
snetherton@gannett.com

Rick Derringer and Chris Isaak are among 12 headline performers announced for the James Burton International Guitar Festival on March 30 through April 1.

Burton and representatives from the festival announced featured entertainers Thursday morning on the steps of Municipal Auditorium.

"Man, I'm excited. We have another great show this year and I want to welcome everybody to come out and see a fantastic show. We have a great lineup of talent," Burton said.

The James Burton & Friends Concert, the signature event of the festival, is set for March 31. Actor John Goodman will emcee the event. Other performers include Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Dickie Betts, formerly of the Allman Brothers Band.

The concert will begin at 7 p.m. March 31 at Municipal Auditorium. The concert will feature Burton on stage with special guests.

Also slated to perform are actor Steven Seagal; Monte Montgomery, named one of the "Top 50 Guitarists of All Time"; Rick Vito, part of Fleetwood Mac from 1987 to 1991; Thom Bresch, named one of the "100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists"; The Cox Family, Grammy Award winning family from Cotton Valley; Lee Roy Parnell, Texas country musician whose hits include "If The House is Rockin'"; National finger-picking guitar champion Muriel Anderson; and Doyle Dykes, who played with Les Paul, Chet Atkins, John Fogerty, Vince Gill and more.

"The way we put it together this year is similar to how we did it last year," Jeff Burton, son of James Burton, said.

"It's an eclectic mix of artists. We're not trying to go head over heels with one vein. We've got an eclectic mix of guitar players and vocalists. We've got big names and we have names that you may not know right now, but I can guarantee you that night you will never forget them."

Tickets for the concert range from $25 to $100 and are on sale at www.jamesburtonmusic.com.

Janie Landry, chairwoman of the James Burton International Guitar Festival, said planning for this year's event began as soon as the last song was played last year.

"We had a great show last time and we are going to have an even greater show this time and we'll have an even greater show the next time."

However, the festival will kick off the night before the James Burton & Friends Concert with Party on the Plaza at 6 p.m. on March 30 in downtown Shreveport's Festival Plaza. The opening event lasts until midnight and features talent from Shreveport-Bossier City and the region.

Betty Lewis and The Executives, 3 Chord Truth, Ricky Lynn Gregg, Jason Ashley and The Twangsters Union and Diddley Squat is some of the talent schedule to perform at Party on the Plaza.

On March 31, the party continues in Festival Plaza at 11 a.m. with the Guitar Showdown. The showdown is a guitar competition for local talent hosted by the festival and Tipitina's Shreveport Music Co-op. Admission is $3 both days.

The festival raises money for the James Burton Kids R Rockin' program, which donates guitars and hosts special training programs for young musicians.

Last year, the foundation donated 600 guitars to students in 23 Caddo Parish schools. At 2 p.m. April 1, those 600 students will close the festival with Burton and a surprise special guest. Tickets for the April 1 concert are $10 at the door.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Rick Vito: known for "Black Magic Woman" and "The Chain."
Wow(NO offense intended), so I guess I'm known for Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way, Monday Morning, and Oh Well.

Quote:
Lee Roy Parnell: Texas born and bred country hit-maker that has a streak of southern rock, soul and blues; hits include "If the House is Rockin'."
This writer shouldn't write, at least concerning MUSIC, if they don't know who the original composers of the songs are. BAD journalism, IMO.

If your hits are covers(or visa-versa!)..........my #'s in the book!

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 03-05-2007 at 04:18 AM..
Old 03-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Rick Derringer: Had a No. 1 hit with The McCoys for the song "Hang On Sloopy" when he was 17 years old; featured on Grammy nominated hits "Free Ride" and Frankenstein; has appeared with Alice Cooper, Steely Dan, Cyndi Lauper, Barbara Streisand and KISS; produced Weird Al's Grammy winning parodies "I'm Fat" and "Eat It"; transitioned into smooth jazz in 2002 where "Hot and Cool" was in the Top 20 for 5 months.
I can't believe he didn't mention Derringer's biggest hit "Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo" anywhere...

And, I didn't see his name listed on "Free Ride" or "Frankenstein" on "They Only Come Out at Night."

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 03-05-2007 at 09:38 AM..
Old 03-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
This writer shouldn't write, at least concerning MUSIC, if they don't know who the original composers of the songs are. BAD journalism, IMO.

If your hits are covers(or visa-versa!)..........my #'s in the book!

It WOULD help if you knew about the artist before you ripped on the journalist.

Lee Roy Parnell's "If The House Is Rockin'" is NOT the same song as Stevie Ray Vaughan's. (as I assume you are referring to) Although the songs are vaguely similar.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^I thought it was the same version. I KNOW I've heard it covered by a country artist....I thought it was Parnell. My bad.