User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycondit View Post
The L.A. Times had posted a review of the event earlier in the wee hours of the morning that did not mention anything about the concert part of the Vin Scully tribute except that FM was playing. Now, there is a second review of the event that focuses on the concert with a nice band photo.

In my opinion, it's kind of a weird review; I feel that the reviewer kind of doesn't understand the band. If you read the review, I think you'll see what I mean.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html
Thanks for the link. The reviewer appears to be straining for an angle and decided to focus on what he thinks is a disconnect between one feature in an evening-long event and what actually served as a full-fledged rock concert. I don't see any disconnect, nor do I see any reason to complain. The band did what many would not: they gave it 100% and treated the gig like any other. They deserve praise, not back-handed complements.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[No one's idea of a party band?? I beg to differ. Well, at least the review had an upbeat ending]

Los Angeles Times, July 30 2016 by Mikael Wood

Vin Scully's secret desire? 'I wish I could sing with Fleetwood Mac'

Fleetwood Mac is nobody’s idea of a party band — except for the people who keep hiring the group to be one.

Twenty-three years ago, this famously fractious rock outfit reunited to play “Don’t Stop” at President Clinton’s inauguration. And Thursday night — right around the time that Clinton’s wife, Hillary, was accepting the Democratic Party’s nomination to be the next president — Fleetwood Mac played a private soirée for about a thousand high-rollers on center field at Dodgers Stadium.

The occasion was the Dodgers Foundation’s Blue Diamond Gala, a fundraising event toasting Vin Scully, the 88-year-old sportscaster who’s set to retire at the end of the baseball season.

Addressing an audience that included Sylvester Stallone, John Mayer, assorted Dodgers and a dude from “Gossip Girl,” Scully accepted the honor with a characteristically intricate yarn about life’s serendipity: how the son of Al Capone’s attorney went on to become a war hero who would have Chicago’s O’Hare Airport named after him, and how Scully will call his final Dodgers game, against the San Francisco Giants, on Oct. 2 — 80 years to the day he became a Giants fan.

After that, there was a live auction to help pay for the construction of a baseball field in Inglewood. Then, Fleetwood Mac took the stage and blazed through a fiery set — its only public performance this year, according to organizers — that had virtually nothing to do with good times, or good deeds.

“Damn your love, damn your lies!” Lindsey Buckingham growled to open the show with “The Chain,” Fleetwood Mac’s stomping breakup blues from 1977’s “Rumours.” Things scarcely got cheerier from there, with a spooky “Dreams” (about listening to your loneliness like a heartbeat), a rough-edged “Rhiannon” (about a Welsh witch) and a long, jammy “Gold Dust Woman” (about the shattering of your illusions of love).

“Congratulations, Vin! Now here’s another one about all the horrible stuff humans do to one another.”

How did this awesomely savage bunch end up entertaining a stadium 1/56th full of deep-pocketed donors buzzed on free margaritas? (A foundation representative estimated the evening’s haul at $2 million.) Surely, we can credit Irving Azoff, the music-biz honcho — and Buckingham’s manager — who chaired the Blue Diamond Gala with his wife, Shelli.

Or, who knows? Maybe it was Scully himself who did the choosing. “I wish I could sing with Fleetwood Mac,” he said at the end of his speech. “But I can’t.”

You were able, of course, to imagine a version of this show that felt less appealingly strange. With Christine McVie back in the band after many years away — another reunion that drove Fleetwood Mac’s world tour in 2014 and 2015 — the group could’ve stuck to the relatively buoyant likes of “Everywhere” and “You Make Loving Fun,” both of which McVie sang Thursday.

Introducing the former, she thanked the audience for coming, then thanked her bandmates “for letting me do this again.”

Stevie Nicks sneaked in a sweet moment too when she dedicated “Landslide” to Scully, whose long experience she said the group could relate to: “We are right behind you, Mr. Scully.”

Then again, let’s remember that “Landslide” basically describes the destruction wrought by an avalanche. Something similar went for “Tusk,” which might’ve conjured warm memories (given that it was partly recorded at Dodger Stadium) if Buckingham hadn’t peppered the song with his maniacal laughter.

Craziest of all was that rather than doing a tidy 40 minutes and calling it quits, Fleetwood Mac played for just under two hours — almost as long as it was performing every night on its recent tour. Buckingham even made room for a deep cut in “Bleed to Love Her,” before which he gave a long spiel about Fleetwood Mac’s rocky journey, as though he were at one of the band’s regular gigs.

Like the Clinton inauguration in 1993, the concert inevitably climaxed — at least in terms of the crowd’s enthusiasm — with the ringing optimism of “Don’t Stop,” which finally provided the celebratory vibe many seemed to be awaiting.

But here the song also felt happily defiant, a refusal to mellow out no matter the setting.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Legendary Dodgers Broadcaster Vin Scully Honored at Blue Diamond Gala

Hollywood Reporter 7/29/2016 by Fatema Etemad

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-legend-915915

"I can sum up the love affair that I've had with baseball and the love affair I've had with the Dodgers [in two words]: Thank God," Scully said at the charity event, which raised more than $1.5 million.

The Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation held its second annual Blue Diamond Gala at Dodger Stadium on Thursday evening with a salute to retiring broadcaster Vin Scully and a concert by Fleetwood Mac.

The LADF aims to provide for underprivileged youth through recreational activity and sports. The bash, held in a huge tent in the parking lot before folks moved to the outfield grass, included an auction that raised more than $1.5 million. Music mogul Irving Azoff and his wife Shelli chaired the event.

"We are out in the community doing work in the neighborhoods that need it the most," LADF executive director Nicole Whiteman told The Hollywood Reporter from the blue carpet. "When we can distract kids from the challenges that they may have in their lives, that is what really keeps me going."

More than 1,000 guests, including Dodgers players, coaches and execs; actors Will Forte, Sylvester Stallone, Taylor Lautner and Matthew McConaughey; musicians John Mayer and BC Jean; and skier Lindsey Vonn (in a brilliant sky-blue dress featuring a thigh-high slit), were on hand. The team's chairman, Mark Walters, kicked things off as Kevin Fraser of Entertainment Tonight emceed.

"I love programs that are youth-oriented and youth-focused. It's one of the reasons that brought me here today," Orange Is the New Black actress Adrienne C. Moore told THR. "The youth is our future, and I love to advocate for organizations that give back. They actually raise the money and have programs that provide sports and things that matter for the community. That's worth celebrating."

Dodgers broadcaster and former pitching ace Orel Hershiser introduced Scully, who received a standing ovation as he took the stage. "Hi everybody and a very special good evening to you. Thank you so very much," Scully, 88, said. "By the way, at the end of three innings, Washington 3, San Francisco 1."

Scully had the audience glued to his every word as he spun a remarkable tale — nothing to do about baseball but everything to do about sacrifice — about the heroic aviator son of a crooked Chicago lawyer who eventually turned on Al Capone. He then spoke about growing up in New York and how he became a "rabid" fan of baseball's New York Giants.

Scully, who will end his 67-year career with the Dodgers (dating to their days in Brooklyn) after this season, closed things by saying: "I can sum up the love affair that I've had with baseball and the love affair I've had with the Dodgers [in two words]: Thank God. I will thank him from now until the end of time, and I will thank you tonight for this wonderful honor."

"But more importantly, thanks to you for coming here tonight to contribute to the foundation. It takes time and it took money for you to be here. I wish I could sing with Fleetwood Mac, but I can't … Anyway, I don't know I could say thank you any better after this wonderful evening for me."

Arsenio Hall told THR, "I'm a huge Vin Scully fan. I'm a baseball fanatic. I've been listening to baseball since I was a little boy. I listened to the radio with my grandmother in Cleveland on the front porch, and that's when guys like Vin Scully were in a class of their own because they drew pictures with their words. Somebody will get his job next year, but nobody will ever replace him."

After Scully departed, the stadium lights dimmed and the crowd was ready for Fleetwood Mac, who opened their only concert of 2016 with "The Chain." Later, Stevie Nicks dedicated “Landslide” to the great play-by-play man, noting that her band has been in the spotlight a long time too: "We are right behind you, Mr. Scully."

Other entertainment notables in attendance included Camila Alves, Tai Babilonia, Mark Ballas, Jillian Bell, Michael Harney, Genevieve Morton, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jaleel White and Bellamy Young.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow Stevie has had a lot of fillers put in. Hoping she doesn't start to overdo it.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Wow Stevie has had a lot of fillers put in. Hoping she doesn't start to overdo it.
Between that and John looking like death warmed over I think it may be time for the ol' Mac to call it a (another lonely) day.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Eeeewwwwww. No thanks.

John Mayer gets DIY musical note tattoo after attending Fleetwood Mac concert with female friend
By CASSIE CARPENTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 22:33, 29 July 2016 | UPDATED: 00:40, 30 July 2016

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...le-friend.html

John Mayer documented his Thursday evening in Los Angeles on Snapchat, including a late-night DIY tattoo session.
The 38-year-old bluesman was inked with a makeshift gun crafted from condoms by Chris Núñez, a judge on Spike TV's Ink Master.
The usually Miami-based 43-year-old happened to be in town for the Tatau Marks of Polynesia opening at the Japanese American National Museum.

In what appeared to be a hotel room, the seven-time Grammy winner had a musical 8th note etched on to his right thigh.
'I did 2/3,' John - who boasts 9.1M followers - announced, revealing his hidden talent with a matching note on a female's ankle.

Mayer kicked off his fun-filled evening with a different female friend over dinner and a Fleetwood Mac concert at the Blue Diamond Gala at Dodger Stadium.
'Two friends, different angles,' the Connecticut-born, Montana-based musician captioned a concert selfie.

The Pokémon Go enthusiast - who considers Snapchat 'where classic rock lives' - famously quit Twitter back in 2011 after becoming 'addicted.'
'I couldn't have a complete thought anymore, and I was a tweetaholic,' John lamented to Rolling Stone in 2011.
'I had 4M Twitter followers, and I was always writing on it. And I stopped using Twitter as an outlet and I started using Twitter as the instrument to riff on, and it started to make my mind smaller and smaller and smaller. And I couldn't write a song.'

The Get Hard actor noted: 'You can have promotion in 30 seconds if your stuff is good. Good music is its own promotion.'
Mayer is currently performing lead guitar and lead/backing vocals on the 24-show Dead & Company Summer Tour, which hits the Toyota Amphitheatre in Wheatland on Friday night.
The Who You Love hitmaker put his own career on hold while joining the super-group, which includes the Grateful Dead's Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, and Bob Weir.

John told The Sacramento Bee on Thursday that he'll finish his 'deeply personal' seventh studio album 'by the end of the year.'
The Wildfire rocker's next solo gig will be October 1 at The Roots Picnic happening at Bryant Park in Manhattan.
Mayer has a womanizing reputation having famously loved (and left) celebs like Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and Minka Kelly.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Between that and John looking like death warmed over I think it may be time for the ol' Mac to call it a (another lonely) day.
Maybe so, but Christine looks fantastic. She should do that solo album she talked about before rejoining!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Maybe so, but Christine looks fantastic. She should do that solo album she talked about before rejoining!
Right and maybe she could include her songs from the shelved Fleetwood Mac album and Lindsey could do the same on a new solo LP. Stevie has enough left in her vaults for a 24KG 2 .I would much rather have this happen than see the band go out as an uncreative mercenary machine milking every last dollar and euro they can before the inevitable forces them to stop.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Right and maybe she could include her songs from the shelved Fleetwood Mac album and Lindsey could do the same on a new solo LP. Stevie has enough left in her vaults for a 24KG 2 .I would much rather have this happen than see the band go out again as an uncreative mercenary machine milking every last dollar and euro they can before the inevitable forces them to stop.
that's what you meant right
Old 07-31-2016, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
What's a filler? And I think they should just do solo albums and solo tours. I want to see Lindsey do another one man show tour.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
What's a filler?
I don't know either. But I suppose we could Google it.

But there's another kind of filler. And that's what she's
used on her albums after The Other Side Of The Mirror.

John needs to get healthy before any more tours or albums.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
What's a filler? And I think they should just do solo albums and solo tours. I want to see Lindsey do another one man show tour.
cosmetic injections in your face that plump it up.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Like Hans and Franz?
Old 08-01-2016, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is different than Botox? I thought she swore that off after saying it made people look like "the spawn of Satan"I guess looking like a muppet is preferable.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh No! I thought she was completely "au Naturel".....
Well just as nature intended...that is apart from the Oil painting she has in the attic.