Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
(there is a different, mimed performance of the song on the collection; perhaps they didn’t want two versions of the same song – as if that would have been a problem for fans!)
AND if they really only wanted one Oh Well, it's kind of a slam dunk that it should've been the Monster Mash one, why they chose the mimed one I'll never know.

John
Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
AND if they really only wanted one Oh Well, it's kind of a slam dunk that it should've been the Monster Mash one, why they chose the mimed one I'll never know.

John
And to WHAT (then unreleased live) version are they miming to?

GJK

Last edited by GJK; 08-01-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post

GJK
I believe that bands of this era sometimes had to go in specialy to record a track to which they would then mime on the show A complete waste of time, but union rules and all that stuff at the time meant they had to do it (of course that doesnt mean that they wouldnt try avoid wasting their time and get their manager slip a few quid to someone to say that the tape they presented to the show had just been specially recorded for that show when it was from elsewhere or taken from the master recording )
Old 08-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post

GJK
Boston Tea Party version, still love it and all but...

John
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

John
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBU0ilZLQvI

It seems like Peter's vocal is live, and like THD said, I think they specifically recorded this for TV. It is stereo and pretty cool, different from the live at BBC with Peter Green on the resonator guitar.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBU0ilZLQvI

It seems like Peter's vocal is live, and like THD said, I think they specifically recorded this for TV. It is stereo and pretty cool, different from the live at BBC with Peter Green on the resonator guitar.
No, that's the one they shouldn't have used (and did use), the Boston Tea Party lip synch. I don't think those vocals are live, they sound just like the ones on the recording, IMHO.

THIS is the one they SHOULD'VE used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEWjXjWT8Co

JMHO though.

John
Old 08-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, that's the one they shouldn't have used (and did use), the Boston Tea Party lip synch. I don't think those vocals are live, they sound just like the ones on the recording, IMHO.

JMHO though.

John
I love this one!
Definitely a live take. Just watch them f**k up right before the 2nd vocal break. Peter's laughing at the whole thing!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

JMHO though.

John
So it must be an older, non-remastered version of Oh Well with no audience? I wonder what originally accompanied that clip when it aired, the studio version?
Old 08-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Or was it indeed done after Boston 1970? The videos say that clip w/ Spencer was from 1969.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The performance used on “The Original Fleetwood Mac” compilation video was most likely taped in early December, 1969, for a public access television show in Detroit. The band was there to play two nights at the East Town Theater with the Buddy Miles Express.

That would rule out the Boston Tea Party recordings for the source. More than likely they were going through the motions to a playback of the single. Problem was, the mikes in the studio were live, so Green’s voice is picked up, causing a slight “echo” on the vocal (guess he couldn’t / wouldn’t just mouth the words), which in fairness probably would have looked even worse.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 08-11-2014, 05:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default oh well

the debate about the audio source used for the video in question shouldn't really be one.

first of all: you don't have to be a musician to notice that the guitars are not even plugged in - no cables at all! and these were the days long before any wireless systems were available. and although congas are clearly audible, nobody's playing 'em in the video. this confirms that the band is only miming to a playback.

secondly: just one comparison of the video sound with the "tea party" version makes clear that it's one and the same audio source. in the first few seconds of the song peter plays 3 consecutive bum notes - exactly the same ones he played in the boston version. next, the vocals during the first acappella break reveal the very same unevenness in levels - absolutely. such things are virtually impossible to be exactly repeated a second time. and there's not even an additional live vocal to be heard. it's ALL just mimed - nothing more.

so, you don't have to go any further than that to have the answer: there's definitely no doubt about the fact that the band mimed to the "boston tea party" playback for this video.

and, yes: i very much would've preferred the "monster mash" sequence of this song in the video compilation. one can only hope for a revised/updated/remastered version on dvd before we're all dead and gone . . .

martin