User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:01 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Its hilarious how much she REALLY wants mega commercial success, but unwilling to let go of her ego enough let a producer like Jack Antonoff take her table scraps and completely reinvent them into something. She's got this small circle of people she keeps coming back to because they know how to tiptoe around her. I wonder if she's using any of Mike Campbell's tracks that she was too busy to even send a "Thanks" in return.
Agreed. Brings me back to "Twisted" which has always been a peculiarity to me. I thought Lindsey did a great job with the song for the "Twister" soundtrack. It was like BuckinghamNicks.2. Then we heard she hated what he did to the song which always flummoxed me, especially when we were given not, one but two reworked versions approved by her, which (in my humble opinion) sucked buffalo chips. I'm largely intrigued and confused by what she envisions her work to become. "Gypsy" is another one. Listening to the early demos, its a nice enough rocker, but had Lindsey not molded it into the classic it became it would have easily fallen into the "nice-but-easily-forgotten" basket. I often wonder what other classics of her's with Lindsey's fingerprints on them she secretly begrudges but holds her tongue because they form the foundation of her legendary songwriting status.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightback View Post
Agreed. Brings me back to "Twisted" which has always been a peculiarity to me. I thought Lindsey did a great job with the song for the "Twister" soundtrack. It was like BuckinghamNicks.2. Then we heard she hated what he did to the song which always flummoxed me, especially when we were given not, one but two reworked versions approved by her, which (in my humble opinion) sucked buffalo chips. I'm largely intrigued and confused by what she envisions her work to become. "Gypsy" is another one. Listening to the early demos, its a nice enough rocker, but had Lindsey not molded it into the classic it became it would have easily fallen into the "nice-but-easily-forgotten" basket. I often wonder what other classics of her's with Lindsey's fingerprints on them she secretly begrudges but holds her tongue because they form the foundation of her legendary songwriting status.
LEGENDARY song writing status?..... that's ALL Lindsey. She scribbles some gibberish, and is LEGENDARY?
Old 04-30-2024, 04:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
It's not gold. Not too good for a supposed legend and that was years ago. She hasn't had a gold album since TISL and that wqs over 20 years ago.
As an independent musician, I would give my left testicle to sell 300,000 copies of my latest album. Just sayin'!
Old 04-30-2024, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I know. Did it sell that many? I remember in 2012, she expressed her sadness that it sold 100,000 copies for a "star like moi".

I still want to know how many downloads of Show Them The Way there were. She did a lot of print interviews for its release and CBS New Sunday Morning. People said it was in the top 10 of iTunes download on the day of release but what does that mean? 100,000 downloads?
I think it was a 2013 interview (it's on YouTube probably), Stevie said "it (IYD album) probably sold like what, 300,000 copies, not that many copies, but I personally sold every one" (I'm paraphrasing)

Quote:
Oh, it's no doubt that he's a great producer. It's just that his mileage will vary greatly when it comes to Stevie and her demos.
Stevie's great weakness is and always has been since she started writing songs, that she cannot write good music - yes, she writes iconic lyrics like Rhiannon, Landslide, Silver Springs, etc - but her piano playing and guitar playing is... a bit s-h-i-t. I'm sorry to her fans (of which I am one), but the woman cannot play to save her life. She can accompany herself as a solo performer but not in the way Lindsey did with his One Man Show, etc, no - Stevie will never come close to that.

As such she relies too heavily on other musicians and electronic producers like Dave Stewart. If she had just focused on playing her instrument better back when she was still playing guitar and piano and not just using them as a writing tool for songwriting (this was only a brief period in her very early career)... maybe she could put out new songs now without paying Dave Stewart, Greg Kurstin and Sheryl Crow the megabucks.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by secret love; 04-30-2024 at 04:21 AM..
Old 04-30-2024, 04:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
I think it was a 2013 interview (it's on YouTube probably), Stevie said "it (IYD album) probably sold like what, 300,000 copies, not that many copies, but I personally sold every one" (I'm paraphrasing)

Stevie's great weakness is and always has been since she started writing songs, that she cannot write good music - yes, she writes iconic lyrics like Rhiannon, Landslide, Silver Springs, etc - but her piano playing and guitar playing is... a bit s-h-i-t. I'm sorry to her fans (of which I am one), but the woman cannot play to save her life. She can accompany herself as a solo performer but not in the way Lindsey did with his One Man Show, etc, no - Stevie will never come close to that.

As such she relies too heavily on other musicians and electronic producers like Dave Stewart. If she had just focused on playing her instrument better back when she was still playing guitar and piano and not just using them as a writing tool for songwriting (this was only a brief period in her very early career)... maybe she could put out new songs now without paying Dave Stewart, Greg Kurstin and Sheryl Crow the megabucks.

Just my 2 cents.
I liked the raw production of 24 karat gold, but after hearing For What's Worth, I think Greg Kurstin is her best producer. The production was perfetion and her voice sounds great on that track. She hadn't sounded better since 1987. As far as Sheryl Crow is concerned, I liked her production, but John Shanks production was better. The production on the title track TISL is perfection. However, I really liked Crow's middle-eastern experimentation on some of tracks but those versions never saw the light of day. I think if TISL had that middle-eastern flair it would of made the album a lot more interesting.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
LEGENDARY song writing status?..... that's ALL Lindsey. She scribbles some gibberish, and is LEGENDARY?
I agree. In the beginning she tried a lot harder and she did write some really good songs, but now it's jut per gibberish - pig latin on steroids.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightback View Post
She's convinced herself more and more in the past 10-15 years that her demos are absolutely amazing and that anybody producing her should stick as closely to the demo as possible. The decision to redo Twisted for 24k Gold was probably made with the same mindset. She actually removed the most interesting parts of the song and made it one overly repetitive, lengthy mess. The same goes for "My Heart"

Did she have negative criticism about Twisted shortly after it was released on the soundtrack?
Old 04-30-2024, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did she have negative criticism about Twisted shortly after it was released on the soundtrack?
I don't recall. She switched up the beginning of the song in her 1996 songs but the demo sounds nothing like the 96 live version and the 2014 version sounds nothing like the 96 live version. In her 1996 concerts, she also sang that great line "I know, you know..."

It'd be great if Stevie had an album of brand new songs and not demos!
Old 05-01-2024, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It'd be great if Stevie had an album of brand new songs and not demos!
What she should do is have all of her younger musical artist fans write her one song each for a new album like Taylor,Harry , Brandi,the Haim sisters,GAGA ETC. it would have to be more interesting than whatever unlistenable gobbletegook she could come up with at this point.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I recall she commented that the song was not appreciated in the movie, actually it was difficult to hear it during the scene.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:33 AM
UnwindedDreams
This message has been deleted by UnwindedDreams.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Look at this WONDERFUL setlist Stevie played at a festival in Charlotte last night. Wow... Rock and Roll - just amazing!!! For What It's Worth by The Buffalo Springfield...just ingenuous. This is her best solo setlist.

Rock and Roll
Outside the Rain
Dreams
If Anyone Falls
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Gypsy
For What It's Worth (The Buffalo Springfield cover)
Stand Back
Wild Heart
Bella Donna
Gold Dust Woman
Leather and Lace
Edge of Seventeen
Free Fallin'
Rhiannon
Landslide
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Look at this WONDERFUL setlist Stevie played at a festival in Charlotte last night. Wow... Rock and Roll - just amazing!!! For What It's Worth by The Buffalo Springfield...just ingenuous. This is her best solo setlist.

Rock and Roll
Outside the Rain
Dreams
If Anyone Falls
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Gypsy
For What It's Worth (The Buffalo Springfield cover)
Stand Back
Wild Heart
Bella Donna
Gold Dust Woman
Leather and Lace
Edge of Seventeen
Free Fallin'
Rhiannon
Landslide
Wow...essentially opening and closing your set with covers. I got nothing.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always feel it's kinda disrespectful to Mike to do the Buffalo Springfield "For What It's Worth' rather than the FWIW she cowrote with Mike...ya know? Esp after she went on about 'how great' it was and 'one her best songs evah' etc etc etc......and then, welp, it didn't sell bucketloads so.....into the dustbin
Old Today, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I always feel it's kinda disrespectful to Mike to do the Buffalo Springfield "For What It's Worth' rather than the FWIW she cowrote with Mike...ya know? Esp after she went on about 'how great' it was and 'one her best songs evah' etc etc etc......and then, welp, it didn't sell bucketloads so.....into the dustbin
Well, Stevie's a "numbers kind of gal"!