Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Your must is my disgust. It's not a Fleetwood Mac song
Not that I consider it a must and would't miss it if it didn't get played, but Fleetwood Mac officially released the live version on the box set, so it's also a Fleetwood Mac song, IMO.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Not that I consider it a must and would't miss it if it didn't get played, but Fleetwood Mac officially released the live version on the box set, so it's also a Fleetwood Mac song, IMO.
Stop trying to irritate me.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Me too. Stop it Steve. WE HATE IT! It ain't FM. It's a f*cking Prince composition!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Your must is my disgust. It's not a Fleetwood Mac song; it's an interloper that should have never been invited to the show. It was the guest that overstayed its welcome. It needs to go back to Stevie's solo home and stay there.

Yes, but it's a Stevie song. When I saw Crosby Stills & Nash a month ago, they played songs from each of their solo stuff, they played some Neil Young songs too.

I have no problem with them omitting Stand Back in favor of more Fleetwood Mac songs though.

I'm really hoping for 24 songs in the set.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Yes, but it's a Stevie song. When I saw Crosby Stills & Nash a month ago, they played songs from each of their solo stuff, they played some Neil Young songs too.

I have no problem with them omitting Stand Back in favor of more Fleetwood Mac songs though.
The Eagles have performed their member's solo songs as well, so it's certainly not unprecedented ground FM is standing on by allowing solo works. While Stand Back is a much needed high-energy song in the setlist, it's time for it to take a break. That being said, bring back the acoustic Go Insane, please!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
The Eagles have performed their member's solo songs as well, so it's certainly not unprecedented ground FM is standing on by allowing solo works. While Stand Back is a much needed high-energy song in the setlist, it's time for it to take a break. That being said, bring back the acoustic Go Insane, please!
Got A Hold On Me would sound awesome with FMac!
Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
DITTO!

And, to the list of "songs that Fleetwood Mac does live that they didn't do in the studio", you can add Buckingham Nicks' "Don't Let Me Down Again". Nobody bitches about THAT one being considered a "Fleetwood Mac song" since they released is on the 1980 Live album.

It's just a Chiffonhead backlash lynch mob is what it is.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
DITTO!

And, to the list of "songs that Fleetwood Mac does live that they didn't do in the studio", you can add Buckingham Nicks' "Don't Let Me Down Again". Nobody bitches about THAT one being considered a "Fleetwood Mac song" since they released is on the 1980 Live album.
I don't think anyone particularly considers it an FM song. When he was there, ok. However, when FM did it after Lindsey left, everyone (we didn't have the internet then, so it is harder to gauge what "everyone" thought, actually) thought it was a Lindsey solo song and an odd choice for FM, but figured it was a message to him.

Michele
Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
DITTO!

It's just a Chiffonhead backlash lynch mob is what it is.
I honestly wish that Stand Back & Don't Let Me Down Again were never performed on Mac stages, and would both be retired completely from present & future Mac setlists. I just don't think non-FM material should be performed on a FM stage, period. That being said, I truly do love the acoustic version of Go Insane, and it will always receive a get out of jail free card from me.

However, I am somewhat of the opinion of when the songwriter retires from the band, their songs should go with them. I have never cared for Lindsey's rendition of Oh Well, and I really, really didn't like S&L's versions of Christine's songs. To me, when 1 singer/songwriter performs another singer/songwriter's tunes, it's a cover song. And I do not care for cover songs on the FM stage. You call it paying homage, I call it lounge act.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I honestly wish that Stand Back & Don't Let Me Down Again were never performed on Mac stages, and would both be retired completely from present & future Mac setlists. I just don't think non-FM material should be performed on a FM stage, period. That being said, I truly do love the acoustic version of Go Insane, and it will always receive a get out of jail free card from me.

However, I am somewhat of the opinion of when the songwriter retires from the band, their songs should go with them. I have never cared for Lindsey's rendition of Oh Well, and I really, really didn't like S&L's versions of Christine's songs. To me, when 1 singer/songwriter performs another singer/songwriter's tunes, it's a cover song. And I do not care for cover songs on the FM stage. You call it paying homage, I call it lounge act.
I certainly understand and respect your opinions and feelings. I also feel that Stand Back should have never been performed (and become a staple!) by Fleetwood Mac (this also goes for Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You). Stand Back singularly defines Stevie solo career, and has no alignment with Fleetwood Mac's overall style.

But I see Don't Let Me Down (or even Frozen Love, which was performed once by Fleetwood Mac), very differently. As Buckingham Nicks songs, they are so indicative of the influence Lindsey and Stevie brought to the band that they easily could be mistaken as Fleetwood Mac songs. Their performance of Don't Let Me Down Again on the LIVE album is fantastic! I consider it as Fleetwood Mac song.

Oh Well, also on the LIVE album, was released as a single and got a lot of radio airplay. I feel it was a nice, respectable nod to Fleetwood Mac's history and Peter Green. I really enjoy listening to all the old songs they performed early on circa 1975-1975: Station Man, Get Like You Used to Be, Hypnotized Spare Me a Little etc...

Christine's musicality is a large part of the band's style, so almost all of her solo songs fit the Fleetwood Mac mold.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-17-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
How can I make it up to you? Dinner?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
However, I am somewhat of the opinion of when the songwriter retires from the band, their songs should go with them.
I am intensely (and diametrically) opposed to this train of thought.

However, I am ever increasingly of the opinion that bands should NEVER AGAIN be named for their non-songwriting rhythm section.
See what kind of havoc that has caused ever since Peter Green left?

(of course, the band McGuinness Flint didn't have these problems. Ex-Manfred Mann bassist Tom McGuinness & ex-Bluesbreakers drummer Hughie Flint. Along with songwriters Graham Lyle & Benny Gallagher. Graham Lyle wrote "What's Love Got To Do With it?" that Tina Turner turned into a huge hit.)

Last edited by chiliD; 09-17-2014 at 02:34 PM..
Old 09-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That's a lot of restrictions. I'm guessing cover songs would also be off limits? And that's a pretty rocking lounge act. I'd pay to see it.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Me too. Stop it Steve. WE HATE IT! It ain't FM. It's a f*cking Prince composition!!!
And "Blue Letter" was a Curtis Bros. composition.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To me, when 1 singer/songwriter performs another singer/songwriter's tunes, it's a cover song. And I do not care for cover songs on the FM stage. You call it paying homage, I call it lounge act.
Damn lounge acts...

THE Stephen Hopkins