Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default No more snippets for me!

Hi everyone, I've decided I'm not going to listen to anymore snippets from the new Album. I'm not going to re-visit the already released snippets. Why ? I want to buy the Album as fresh as possible......luckily for me I didn't know all of the demos that well,..so I'm not listening to anymore, and can't wait for release day.......
Anyone else feel the same ?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll probably continue to give the snippets a listen as they are pretty short, but I did find that I didn't want to go listen to the demos that I wasn't familiar with so that my mind didn't decide that that was the way the songs were "supposed" to sound. I find that in most cases, the first version of a song I hear I tend to think of as "the right one" to my ears. (The exceptions were the longer version of Planets of the Universe, because I loved those added angry lyrics, and the longer version of Gypsy) I'm not as well versed as most folks here on the unreleased stuff, so in most cases the songs will be brand new for me.

Last edited by Feather Blade; 09-02-2014 at 07:56 AM..
Old 09-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes .I agree.I rather wait and enjoy her album fresh from the start when I receive it.
I'm trying to stay out of the loads of preview threads here.

The internet takes the fun out of it.

In the old days .I remember the radio stations used too do artists spotlight on their new releases .By the time they do the shows I already have Stevie's album in my hands.

After when I listen to it I will post my review .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In a perfect world (at least for me), we'd have gotten no snippits, and our first exposure would be the first "listen" on the day of release.

You are awesome, Sue, for stopping now and waiting. I've thought about doing the same thing...but I don't trust myself to NOT click on those video snippits every time they're posted on her Instagram. I wish I had more willpower, but I just know myself.

It appears that "Hard Advice" and "Carousel" are up to bat this week...and then next week we should be getting the "Blue Water" snippit. That demo is my absolute fave! I'm waiting with baited breath to hit the "start" button on the day it's posted.

So yeah, no willpower here!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not at all bothered by hearing the snippets. A quick comparison of the clips of The Dealer and Lady against the full song (and even I Don't Care between the two clips) is a solid demonstration that it's only a small sample, and the song will be much bigger than the clip can accurately convey.

But I understand the desire to wait and be fully surprised too.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
I'll probably continue to give the snippets a listen as they are pretty short, but I did find that I didn't want to go listen to the demos that I wasn't familiar with so that my mind didn't decide that that was the way the songs were "supposed" to sound. I find that in most cases, the first version of a song I hear I tend to think of as "the right one" to my ears. (The exceptions were the longer version of Planets of the Universe, because I loved those added lyrics, and the longer version of Gypsy) I'm not as well versed as most folks here on the unreleased stuff, so in most cases the songs will be brand new for me.
I feel the same way about everything you said. I got into the band during the dance at 12y old and still favor those versions to any other. The demos are new to me but sound a little to plain so this time I think I might like the new versions. But just in case, I stoped listing to the demos a few weeks ago.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To come think about it .Last week I did not even bothered to open 'unzipped"the second single download.

I will just wait until the album arrives .My vinyl hungry turntable will be waiting for it.

Its like Fred' s in the video.LOL.............................

I wish I had one of these.I would love to hear Stevie's voice coming out of that horn speaker.

I'm old fashion. I always love surprises on the holidays and birthdays.I can wait.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
I find that in most cases, the first version of a song I hear I tend to think of as "the right one" to my ears. (The exceptions were the longer version of Planets of the Universe, because I loved those added lyrics, and the longer version of Gypsy) I'm not as well versed as most folks here on the unreleased stuff, so in most cases the songs will be brand new for me.
I usually always prefer the demos over the released versions but not with Gypsy. All the Gypsy demos drive me bonkers. Can't stand 'em. But the released version is pure magic.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

With 'Trouble In Shangri-La,' I had heard the entire album well before its release date. I still trekked to the store that morning and bought it, but listening to it that day was rather anti-climactic. So in the lead-up to 'In Your Dreams,' I swore that I wouldn't listen to it before release day. And then Rolling Stone streamed the entire album, and I caved in like a West Virginia coal-mine.

I seem to have no will-power where Stevie's new music is concerned, so I can't swear I won't listen to '24 Karat Gold' in its entirety before October 7th -- but I'm sure going to try not to. Hopefully the 15-second snippets, and the four digital singles, will help keep me in line.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
With 'Trouble In Shangri-La,' I had heard the entire album well before its release date. I still trekked to the store that morning and bought it, but listening to it that day was rather anti-climactic. So in the lead-up to 'In Your Dreams,' I swore that I wouldn't listen to it before release day. And then Rolling Stone streamed the entire album, and I caved in like a West Virginia coal-mine.

I seem to have no will-power where Stevie's new music is concerned, so I can't swear I won't listen to '24 Karat Gold' in its entirety before October 7th -- but I'm sure going to try not to. Hopefully the 15-second snippets, and the four digital singles, will help keep me in line.
I was working at Borders Books back in 2001, and my manager brought me a promo copy of TISL about a month before it was released. The CD was just a plain red, and it was only in a cardboard sleeve. I LOVED the album, but like you Johnny, I bought the "real copy" on release day and it was also a tad anti-climactic. I was thrilled with the album artwork and liner notes, though.

I also streamed IYD via RollingStone.com a few days before release...and when my copy came in the mail, it was also a tad anti-climactic.

I consider the vinyl version of 24KG to be its "release day" on 9/30, even if the regular version does "officially" come out a week later. So if it does get leaked online or gets a free stream somewhere, I'm going to TRY MY BEST to refrain from listening until that vinyl record comes in the mail. I want my first listening experience to be putting that record on my turntable, and letting it fill my living room in stereo surround.

Willpower....

...of course, I say this NOW, but...
Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I also don't really know any of the demos, apart from 24 Karat which I'd heard before.

So for me listening to the snippets is okay as I know a little bit about the song and I don't judge it on anything.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Hi everyone, I've decided I'm not going to listen to anymore snippets from the new Album. I'm not going to re-visit the already released snippets. Why ? I want to buy the Album as fresh as possible......luckily for me I didn't know all of the demos that well,..so I'm not listening to anymore, and can't wait for release day.......
Anyone else feel the same ?
yeah, I'm kinda there with you. I don't want the glitter to fade on the 24 K Gold!

and a few songs in particular, Blue Water and She Loves Him Still are too special to me to hear pre release date. I need to hear them in their entirety in a safe place! Haha

I remember it all...you just had to fall...

Last edited by wheart; 09-02-2014 at 11:25 AM..
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hear you and wish I had the willpower you do.

But, I am going to stop reading the board before the first Fleetwood Mac concert of this upcoming tour, just so I won't know the exact setlist. Of course it won't vary that much from previous set lists, but there will probably be at least 1 or 2 surprises, and with Chris being back, we won't know exactly what songs of hers they will do before the tour starts.

So here's to being surprised...

Kevin
Old 09-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
I hear you and wish I had the willpower you do.

But, I am going to stop reading the board before the first Fleetwood Mac concert of this upcoming tour, just so I won't know the exact setlist. Of course it won't vary that much from previous set lists, but there will probably be at least 1 or 2 surprises, and with Chris being back, we won't know exactly what songs of hers they will do before the tour starts.

So here's to being surprised...

Kevin
that's what I did last year when I saw them and it was pretty cool to have no idea what the next song was going to be.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I usually always prefer the demos over the released versions but not with Gypsy. All the Gypsy demos drive me bonkers. Can't stand 'em. But the released version is pure magic.
Yea .I wish Stevie recorded the Wildheart demo like it was in the video with Lindsey's instrumental.