Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Registered

.I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America..."

SortaSavageLike, your caption here is hilarious (and elsewhere)-- I love this thread, it's the first I've looked at it, and I know it's months and months old. Thank You for it. I started on Page 61 and have been going through each page backwards! I have 40 more pages to go, it's 8:30 am and I'm really overtired. But thanks for this thread, and for the 'madrugada' morning hours it has helped pass. Gosh, I think its on page 49 of your thread, in one photo, Stevie is wearing a Carole Bayer Sager t-shirt. Great songwriter (but as a singer, made Sonny Bono sound like Caruso) who had her first album out in '78 or '79 I think.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 12-27-2009 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: trying to get his photo/caption in.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Registered

[/QUOTE]

For one episode of 'Dynasty'-- post Pamela Sue Martin, but pre-Emma Samms, Stevie stepped into the ensemble playing the role of Fallon Carrington and is seen here in her Nolan Miller dress, which she kept. As her first scenes were being filmed, both Joan Collins and Heather Locklear complained about Stevie getting 'the best lines' and sleeping with both of their husbands whilst they were in makeup. Stevie resented their grumbling and remembered she knew where to get even better lines and better husbands, and she was gone forever.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 12-27-2009 at 08:43 AM..
Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by michelej1
There is an old lady face in Lindsey and Stevie's clasped hands. Go get your album and turn it sideways and stare real hard.

Michele
Does the old lady only have one eye? That's about all I can make out of an old lady face on the Mirage LP cover. Is this a long-known 'Mirage' hidden pic I didn't hear about? I don't see a baby at all upside down, but am really trying to see the old lady sideways. Maybe it was only on the first printing of the albums? Oh shoot, I just flipped it over, this is a Columbia House version, which wouldn't be an earliest printing of the cover. Maybe Columbia House only sprung for one aged eye and not an entire old lady face.
My original 'Mirage' lp is long-gone in LA, this is a replaced vinyl copy from a used record shop. And while I'm now more familiar, with time, to the second 'Straight Back' from later LP pressings, and then the cd copy, I do think I did prefer the original, less vocally cluttered 'SB' from the Mirage I bought in LA the day it was released. That original 'Straight Back' is kind of hard to come by now, isn't it?

Last edited by Nikolaj; 12-27-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Old 12-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
does anyone have the full, uncropped version of this???????
Here's one...

Old 12-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Maybe Columbia House only sprung for one aged eye and not an entire old lady face.
That's a hysterical thought.

Actually, since the face is made out of a hand, we don't get down to details like eyes, eyelashes, beauty marks, etc. All we get is the basic profile.

They could have given her a more accurate countenance, I'm sure, but that would have taken the use of more body parts -- not just entwined hands.

Michele
Old 12-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Does the old lady only have one eye? That's about all I can make out of an old lady face on the Mirage LP cover. Is this a long-known 'Mirage' hidden pic I didn't hear about?
I think that old woman is Madame La Farge, truculently knitting whilst Stevie Nicks bends her head back for Monsieur Le Guillotine.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
What in the world is this, Lisa?

Is it really Stevie's scribbled songwriting? Where did it come from? What era is it? How did it come to land in Lisa's hoard?

In the upper left, it looks like:
Glyn Johns has been here for the last 3 days. He's really something!
Didn't Glyn Johns work with her on Street Angel? Any other albums?

Or is this fake, to find the one Ledgie gullible enough to ask these questions?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post

Is it really Stevie's scribbled songwriting? Where did it come from? What era is it? How did it come to land in Lisa's hoard?

It looks like her handwriting.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=michelej1;862045]That's a hysterical thought.

Michelej and David, the reason I made the Columbia House comment is because very recently I indulged in a small splurge and purchased a sealed 'Timespace' vinyl LP, thinking the inner sleeve could be really lush or something, as the cd version was pretty nicely packaged. Well, this C.H. vinyl has the most hilarious inside sleeve, in that all of Stevie' long ass song notations are printed in about 1/20th of a normal sized font, it would take superhuman eyes to read a word of it. It's not a gatefold LP either. Still glad I got it, I've long wanted a larger photo of her wearing those baby blue print draperies over her head.
And, the vinyl version of 'Sometimes Its A Bitch' sounds way better to me (yes, "warmer") than any cd or cassette version I've heard. The odd guitar twangs in it sound good on vinyl, never cared for the way it sounded before. And I love the lone soaring 'love's' near the end of 'Love's A Hard Game To Play' which also sounds really good on vinyl. Yet, oddly, the remixed with 'stardust added' versions of 'Whole Lotta Trouble' and Stand Back pop more on cd and cassette than they do on this record. Maybe '91 remastering was made for cd and not vinyl. Perhaps 'Sometimes It's A Bitch' had been recorded using whatever vinyl technology was left over at the time, because to me it sounds worlds better on vinyl, more shadings to it and not as generic and bland as I found the song to be in other formats.
PS- this vinyl version of 'Bitch' really brings to light something I'd never noticed before. Songwriters Jon Bon Jovi and Billy Falcon totally ripped off the famous chord-twang thing of a wonderful song called 'No Regrets' written by Tom Rush in their opening and recurring 'odd guitar twangs' I mentioned above. Had 'Bitch' been a hit, there might have been a bitch of a lawsuit over it by Tom Rush.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 12-27-2009 at 05:09 PM..
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
does anyone have the full, uncropped version of this???????
Click for big:

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
I think this is the recipe for her famous chestnut risotto.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
Old 12-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
Click for big:

thank you for making my festive season festive
this is one of my faaavorite pictures {of Stevie anyway }

*pats pretty new pic*

Q - how much older is Chris than Stevie?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Q - how much older is Chris than Stevie?
A - 5 years.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post

I saved this and many other handwritten and typed notes/lyrics from sararhiannon.com. There was some story about how the owner of SR.com got them; something like a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend deal. As far as I know, they're legit. I think someone other than Stevie typed them up for a scrapbook, but the handwritten stuff is all hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
I think this is the recipe for her famous chestnut risotto.
Well she can't expect company to be satisfied on her famous bean dip alone.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=goldustsongbird;862144]I saved this and many other handwritten and typed notes/lyrics from sararhiannon.com. There was some story about how the owner of SR.com got them; something like a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend deal. As far as I know, they're legit. I think someone other than Stevie typed them up for a scrapbook, but the handwritten stuff is all hers.

You can still get to some of these journals/handwritten notes, etc. Go to the Wayback Machine website (archive.org); key in "sararhiannon.com" and archives of the website will come up. Not all links work and I had better luck with the older versions of the website, and it's super slow, but if you click on "journals" you can get to some of those handwritten/typewritten journal entries, lyrics, notes, poems, etc. And the story of how she got them is there to0.