Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mention in Zevon Interview

[I was just reading an old Warren Zevon article in Goldmine by Steve Roeser, August 18, 1995 and this is what he said about Lindsey in passing]:

Whether Zevon is just very well-liked by his colleagues, fun to be around, musically inspiring or all of the above, a list of artists who have played on his records is most impressive. Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, Bobby Keys, Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks all appeared on Warren Zevon. Some of the same people, plus Jim Horn, Jeff Porcaro, Jennifer Warnes and Ronstadt, among others, contributed to Excitable Boy, while other members of the Eagles, notably Joe Walsh, were involved in the making of his 1980 album Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School.

When you did the track with Waddy and Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, how many takes did you do?

Well, that was the last of several different ensembles that played it. And I don't remember how many we did, but I remember that Waddy said, "I think we're done." And Mick stood up and said, "We are never done!" But we played it before. We'd recorded it with different groups. And I remember the Jorge Calderon said, "I think you need a real band. Not like 'cats', but a band." And I said, "Really? You mean like Buddy Rich?" [laughs] I remember that. And Jorge said, "No, I was thinking more like Fleetwood Mac. Let me call them." [laughs]

So, you were tight with all the Fleetwood Mac people?

No, I didn't know the other guys. We all knew Lindsey and Stevie. They were kind of in the Waddy circle. I had done a whole tour with Lindsey, too, a Don Everly solo tour.

Were half the songs that were recorded for the Warren Zevon album written before you went to Spain?

I think all of them were. We made a demo album. We made that whole album in a demo form. I don't have a tape of it. I can't imagine who might. I don't think I have a tape of it. Well, who knows what I have. It's in storage somewhere. But it was interesting. It had a lot of the same people. I think it had Don Everly on it. And it had Lindley, of course, and Jackson and Waddy. A different rhythm section. Lindsey Buckingham was on that one. And a girl who was a friend of the producer's, whoever he was, who played chamberlain. So, this demo album had a chamberlain on it.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, THAT was a first. I didn't know that Zevon was on that Everly tour, too.

Learn something new everyday.

Or, like Warren says: "Enjoy every sandwich".
Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I read about it in Zevon's book. In fact, I think the house that Stevie was staying at in Aspen while waiting for them belonged to the Zevon family.

Michele
Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[number of big names on that first Warren Zevon album is impressive]

Sine Wave Life, April 30, 2014

http://sinewavelife.wordpress.com/20...allenge-zevon/

Sigh.* I really liked Warren Zevon. I know he wrestled with demons and alcohol in particular, but I liked him.

His first album, creatively titled Warren Zevon, was one of those rare albums in which nearly every song is good. His list of musicians and singers is a “who’s who” of the LA music scene in the mid-1970s: Phil Everly, J.D. Souther, Jackson Browne, Lindsey Buckingham, Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Stevie Nicks (billed as “Stephanie”), Bonnie Raitt. The harmonies were just incredible. In my opinion, this was his best album ever. The second is Excitable Boy. It included the song of his that got the most airplay, “Werewolves of London,” which is a good song but not his best.

He died of lung cancer but after his diagnosis, he recorded one last album, entitled The Wind, which includes his version of “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.” It gives me chills to hear it.

He was an interesting, talented, and complicated man. I hope he’s found some peace.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That book, I'll sleep when I'm dead,was by far the best book about a musician I ever read. Things the grandchildren should know, from Mark Oliver Everett aka E. From Eels was the best book I ever read BY a musician. In that book Stevie popped up, in a very minor role. But that Stevieconnection played a crucial role in the career of Eels.