User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I remember that planned box set, Mario. I wondered why it was never released, now I know - thanks for the info! Hope it might still be released sometime in the future.
This looks like another dead end!
From Wikipedia:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_Records_Group

In April 2007 Billboard Magazine reported that Sanctuary Records would cease to exist as a new release label in the US that summer, though catalog, licensing, and new media operations would continue. On October 22, 2007, the record company was absorbed by Universal Music Group.

Would Universal Music Group be likely to pick up the challenge?

I would be very interested to see Martins sleeve notes though as it may give a clue as to what is still hidden in Auntie Beebs bottom drawer.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
I would be very interested to see Martins sleeve notes though as it may give a clue as to what is still hidden in Auntie Beebs bottom drawer.
Me too, definitely. I'd love that job.

Not sure what the BBC holds. I've definitely heard some BBC studio session tracks re-broadcast over the years, tracks that never made the BBC Sessions double cd. In fact a lot of the tracks were from the Kiln House era, but some Peter Green tracks also before 1970.

As for live shows from the Green era, I did see some of the tracks from 1970 rebroadcast on BBC Radio 6 late last year. Only a couple of tunes, cant remember the names but the part they played was very jammy and lasted 20 mins or so.

But yes, let me down into the vaults, i'll happily go through the tapes. Please

Oh, just as a note, I was watching some of the music shows broadcast on BBC4 over the Christmas period last night. Friday nights (01/01/10) episode of 'Guitar Heroes at the BBC' showed the Top of The Pops clip from 1971 with Peter Green performing 'Heavy Heart.

I know that clip is readily viewable on Youtube but was nice to see again on TV. You can still catch it on the BBC Iplayer if you're watching from the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...he_BBC_Part_V/
Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This looks like another dead end!
From Wikipedia:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_Records_Group

In April 2007 Billboard Magazine reported that Sanctuary Records would cease to exist as a new release label in the US that summer, though catalog, licensing, and new media operations would continue. On October 22, 2007, the record company was absorbed by Universal Music Group.

Would Universal Music Group be likely to pick up the challenge?

Thanks for the link, Norton. FWIW, this was the thread on the Ledge discussing that planned release, back when it was announced in the fall of 2004: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=16113

And while we're on the subject of defunct record labels, I'd still love to know what happened to the recordings of Greeny and Duane Allman that were supposedly unearthed by Capricorn Records back in the late '90s: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=15619 Here's what Wikipedia has to say about Capricorn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capricorn_Records

And now that I re-read that info, I noticed the mention of "newly discovered Mayall BBC and live tapes, many featuring the Hard Road touring band" - wonder if those are the same recordings that Wouter and Ms. Moose mentioned above, short clips of which are on the John The Revelator website: http://www.johntherevelator.nl/disco...495f99f96260a3 Very possibly also the same recordings that Daniel had mentioned in a post back in 2004: December 3, 1998: MOJO magazine, December 1998 -- "A priceless live tape of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers featuring Peter Green has been discovered by Mike Vernon. Details are sketchy, but the recording includes versions of Double Trouble, Hideaway, All Your Love and The Stumble. Expect it next year on Deram."

So there is still a lot of unreleased music out there - let's hope we get to hear some of it in 2010!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Simon View Post
Me too, definitely. I'd love that job.

Not sure what the BBC holds. I've definitely heard some BBC studio session tracks re-broadcast over the years, tracks that never made the BBC Sessions double cd. In fact a lot of the tracks were from the Kiln House era, but some Peter Green tracks also before 1970.
This was added to Youtube not too long ago. It's Fleetwood Mac's version of Willie Dixon's "You Need Love". This song later became "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. Even though it's not Dixon's version, you can tell how Led Zeppelin used every loophole (thanks to Peter Grant) to get by with blatant stealing. They didn't admit to the original artists of the songs from the first LZ album until years, and years later! At least FM changed the lyrics (Ramblin' Pony = Rollin' and Tumblin', and it was considered traditional music).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIKu-EfgXfs

Last edited by slipkid; 01-05-2010 at 12:27 AM..
Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
This was added to Youtube not too long ago. It's Fleetwood Mac's version of Willie Dixon's "You Need Love". This song later became "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. Even though it's not Dixon's version, you can tell how Led Zeppelin used every loophole (thanks to Peter Grant) to get by with blatant stealing. They didn't admit to the original artists of the songs from the first LZ album until years, and years later! At least FM changed the lyrics (Ramblin' Pony = Rollin' and Tumblin', and it was considered traditional music).

I thought I had a very extensive collection of P Green flavoured Mac.... but I keep getting excited about things I have not heard before... this is one of them.

Where did it come from, I need to get a copy.

Also, MsMoose gave a link on YouTube to 'The Stumble'. Mario is absolutely correct, it is on 'Essentially John Mayall', CD5 track 3....
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought I had a very extensive collection of P Green flavoured Mac.... but I keep getting excited about things I have not heard before... this is one of them.

Where did it come from, I need to get a copy.

Also, MsMoose gave a link on YouTube to 'The Stumble'. Mario is absolutely correct, it is on 'Essentially John Mayall', CD5 track 3....
If my memory serves me still right, that song was available on a Moby Dick bootleg called "Blues With A Feeling"....

Of course what I mean is the track "You Need Love".....

Mario.

Last edited by Mario; 01-05-2010 at 02:25 PM..
Old 01-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post

I have never heard the FM version before. Great to hear something I haven't heard before. Does anyone know when it was recorded and where it is from?
This FM rendition reminds me of a song called 'Can I get a witness' (I have heard it in a version with Dusty Springfield, and a danish band called The Caravans (from 1964) - it is an old Rhytm and Blues number).

Talking about Led Zeppelin - and I know I have posted this Youtube audio before - listen to this Small Faces version form 1965(!), and Steve Marriotts vocal in particular. It is rather obvious who inspired Robert Plant....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkQpZpFLpv4

And Sharksfan2000: There is probably lots of great unreleased stuff out there. I also wonder what happened to the tapes on John The Revelator page. Lots of people posted requests on the homepage, but they never seemed to answer. I remember we were informed by a fellow ledgie who was the brother of the man who owned the tapes (?) that there was issues around ownership ect. Unfortunately I don't have time right now to find his name and the thread, sorry.

Ms Moose
Old 01-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
I have never heard the FM version before. Great to hear something I haven't heard before. Does anyone know when it was recorded and where it is from?
It's from a BBC session recorded in late August 1968 and broadcast in October of that year. That was the first of the band's BBC session recordings after Danny Kirwan joined.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:46 AM
Ledgie

Quote:

And Sharksfan2000: There is probably lots of great unreleased stuff out there. I also wonder what happened to the tapes on John The Revelator page. Lots of people posted requests on the homepage, but they never seemed to answer. I remember we were informed by a fellow ledgie who was the brother of the man who owned the tapes (?) that there was issues around ownership ect. Unfortunately I don't have time right now to find his name and the thread, sorry.

Ms Moose
Look at this thread, the guy you need is Derek Slade:-

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...John+Revelator

Originally Posted by Derek Slade
Thanks indeed for these links, zoork! The John the Revelator site certainly whizzed me back 40 odd years, as Tom Huissen (who recorded the Bluesbreaker tapes) was staying with me and my brother John at our parents' house when most of the tapes were recorded. I was at some of the gigs and John at all of them. It's slightly miffing, though, that almost all of the Mayall/Green photographs from that period on the site were taken by John, and he's not credited, as far as I can see. I must contact Tom and try to get that rectified -- and also find out if CDs of the performances are available.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Look at this thread, the guy you need is Derek Slade:-

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...John+Revelator

Originally Posted by Derek Slade
Thanks indeed for these links, zoork! The John the Revelator site certainly whizzed me back 40 odd years, as Tom Huissen (who recorded the Bluesbreaker tapes) was staying with me and my brother John at our parents' house when most of the tapes were recorded. I was at some of the gigs and John at all of them. It's slightly miffing, though, that almost all of the Mayall/Green photographs from that period on the site were taken by John, and he's not credited, as far as I can see. I must contact Tom and try to get that rectified -- and also find out if CDs of the performances are available.
Thank you for your help. Yes, Norton - Derek Slade was the man I was thinking of. Of course I remembered going to work on the train some time after I wrote my thread. I even remembered his brother Johns name all of a sudden!

Ms Moose
Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you for your help. Yes, Norton - Derek Slade was the man I was thinking of. Of course I remembered going to work on the train some time after I wrote my thread. I even remembered his brother Johns name all of a sudden!

Ms Moose
I've emailed Tom Huissen who very kindly responded today with this:-

Thank you for your interest in the Peter Green tapes.
At the moment I am still in negotiation about an official release of the albums.
The legal side of it takes a lot of time and effort.

As soon as the cd's will be released I will let you know.

With kind regards,
Tom Huissen
singer/bassplayer John the Revelator

..............I just hope that we will not have to wait for too long.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Norton, for letting us know and for putting effort into this....

/z
Old 01-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Norton, thanks for sending the email and posting the response. I do hope that we see these recordings released sometime soon, though I can imagine there's a lot of red tape to get through in order to release them legally.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 43 years after

Yes, thanks for taking the initiative and putting in the effort, Norton. It's good to know that Tom Huissen is working on it.

Let's hope that one day we will be able to hear this music - hopefully in this life

Ms Moose

Last edited by Ms Moose; 01-12-2010 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: spelling