Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mick wants: John, Jeremy & PG Reunion

From the K-hits 96 radio website

http://www.k-hits.com/musicnews/story.aspx?ID=1186831

Out now on DVD is the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band's live disc Blue Again. The set was recorded in concert on October 25th, 2008 at the Marlowe Theater in Kent, England and features latter-day Fleetwood Mac bandmember Rick Vito on lead guitar. The band tackles such early-classic Mac classics as "Albatross," "Oh Well," "Black Magic Woman" and "Rattlesnake Shake," among others.

Fleetwood admits that there's nothing he wants more than for he and John McVie to reunite with Fleetwood Mac cofounders Jeremy Spencer and Peter Green: "I am actually talking to Peter about doing, making some music, and in truth, we're finding out whether anyone's interested in, in -- whether they want us to make some music, 'cause there's no point in making music if you can't get a record label to do it. I am actually trying quite hard to put those musicians in a studio."
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Junior Ledgie

this is what really upsets me, if people knew about the original fleetwood mac then ya they'd want this! The problem is they've been burried by the popularity of the post peter green mac that its impossible to even go into a best buy and buy a fleetwood mac record with peter green on it.

I want this bad, but I feel like i'm the only one. We need to get the word out we need to make this happen, because like Mick is saying its not going to happen unless we wat it too!!!!!!

Here is a facebook page, so if you have a facebook join this group!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=260401504199

Last edited by WithoutYou; 01-20-2010 at 10:20 PM..
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When you get right down to it, it doesn't matter a bit how much anyone else wants a reunion to happen. Unless Mick, John, Peter, and Jeremy all want it, it means nothing. And as far as I know, the only one of them who has publicly shown any real interest in such a reunion is Mick. So I think the probability of it happening is very slim indeed. And frankly, that's ok with me. They did what they did together, but that's in the past and can't be recreated. I doubt that Peter or Jeremy (or John or Mick for that matter) need that kind of pressure in their lives. I'd be much happeir to see them continue to play the music they want with the people they want, not try to live in the past. If they decide they really want to all play together again, wonderful - and they might make some terrific new music together - but that should only be because that's what they all want, not because that's what some of their fans want.

If you want more people to know about the original Fleetwood Mac, play them that music. A reunion can never recreate that, as much as some people would like it to.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Sharksfan.
And this line pretty much sums up Mick's commercial leanings:

"'cause there's no point in making music if you can't get a record label to do it."

Which has always been different to Peter's attitude - he's out there playing now seemingly only for enjoyment.
Though some tracks in a studio, no pressure, would maybe be possible, some blues covers...who knows.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Elephant in the porcelain-shop....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I agree with Sharksfan.
And this line pretty much sums up Mick's commercial leanings:

"'cause there's no point in making music if you can't get a record label to do it."

Which has always been different to Peter's attitude - he's out there playing now seemingly only for enjoyment.
Though some tracks in a studio, no pressure, would maybe be possible, some blues covers...who knows.
I think I agree with dino and Sharksfan. I saw Mick and the Bluesband last year, and his drumming alone would smother PG and his famous tone completely. Not just the volume, because that can be fixed but his dominance and the way he "fills" the stage. I think PG has to play with musicians who listens. He is into sublety now. In the forty years gone they have developed into two very different musicians. It's sad because then they were so good together.

Ms Moose
Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

A couple of months ago when Jeremy was here answering questions, I asked him 'If asked, would you re-join Fleetwood Mac?' His answer was 'If asked, no' I know this idea would not be quite the same as joining the current line-up of Fleetwood Mac, but I have a feeling that he would not want to commercially work with Mick. Not saying he wouldn't like a jam session though!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think there would be any problem finding some label somewhere to release a Fleetwood Mac album with this line-up. So, it's obviously up to the players. I hope it does happen. I've always said that Lindsey-Stevie is my preference for any Mac grouping, but I don't think the Mac should rely on their whims. And nothing could be less a threat to the Mac legacy than a reunion with its original players: they have unfinished business, too. I'd give anything for Danny to join them . . .

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Junior Ledgie

I still disagree. I think that the reason that Jeremy and Peter and the rest aren't doing it is because they see little merrit in the project. There would be a lot of merrit if a lot of people wanted it to happen. I'm not going to harp too hard on it, but as a 20 year old who was so far removed from when the band was together, I would appreciate the chance to see them on stage together. Until then I will continue to play the old records and spread there music to anyone who will have it.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Ledgie

Default Reunion

Mick has been pushing this idea since Peter began his comeback in the nineties, it seems that he is the only member that is actually interested. When he started the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, I took it as a sign that he was tired of waiting for the chance to revisit his blues roots with Peter and the boys.
Based on recent comments made by John, Peter may have a problem or two with him on a personal level. Jeremy is not interested, Danny is likely not up to it, as much as I would like to see it, there is little chance of a reunion in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
A couple of months ago when Jeremy was here answering questions, I asked him 'If asked, would you re-join Fleetwood Mac?' His answer was 'If asked, no' I know this idea would not be quite the same as joining the current line-up of Fleetwood Mac, but I have a feeling that he would not want to commercially work with Mick. Not saying he wouldn't like a jam session though!
Jeremy did work with Mick on the "Mick Fleetwood Band: Something Big" CD from a few years ago.

Honestly, I think if it's done in the context of the MFBB, then Peter, Jeremy and John might just do it. Mainly as long as there's no huge pressure to call it a "Fleetwood Mac reunion". That way Peter can feel more comfortable and both he and Jeremy could possibly contribute some fresh material for the band. They could do a few gigs here and there, then Rick could take up the lead again. They wouldn't have to record an entire album, just 3 - 4 tracks for the next MFBB CD. That way it doesn't look like a full-on "original Fleetwood Mac" reunion either.

As far as Danny's concerned, I think that idea has as much possibility of happening as Christine coming back to the band does. Not going to happen.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Jeremy did work with Mick on the "Mick Fleetwood Band: Something Big" CD from a few years ago.

Honestly, I think if it's done in the context of the MFBB, then Peter, Jeremy and John might just do it. Mainly as long as there's no huge pressure to call it a "Fleetwood Mac reunion". That way Peter can feel more comfortable and both he and Jeremy could possibly contribute some fresh material for the band. They could do a few gigs here and there, then Rick could take up the lead again. They wouldn't have to record an entire album, just 3 - 4 tracks for the next MFBB CD. That way it doesn't look like a full-on "original Fleetwood Mac" reunion either.

As far as Danny's concerned, I think that idea has as much possibility of happening as Christine coming back to the band does. Not going to happen.

If it has Mick and John, then it must be called Fleetwood Mac. It IS Fleetwood Mac. Anyway, it won't happen. It's too much like right.

Is anyone able to point me to Jeremy's presence on Something Big?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
True, I forgot about that! (Jeremy should have reminded me)!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
If it has Mick and John, then it must be called Fleetwood Mac. It IS Fleetwood Mac. Anyway, it won't happen. It's too much like right.

Is anyone able to point me to Jeremy's presence on Something Big?
He plays on the song 'No Borders'
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithoutYou View Post
I still disagree. I think that the reason that Jeremy and Peter and the rest aren't doing it is because they see little merrit in the project. There would be a lot of merrit if a lot of people wanted it to happen. I'm not going to harp too hard on it, but as a 20 year old who was so far removed from when the band was together, I would appreciate the chance to see them on stage together. Until then I will continue to play the old records and spread there music to anyone who will have it.
Sorry, WithoutYou - but if you've seen the various players' responses to the possibility of a reunion over the years, you'd know the reluctance to do it has nothing to do with "merit" or with other people wanting it to happen. If anything, the more that other people would want it to happen, the less likely it would be.

It's not that I can't see the (slim) possibility that they could all agree to play together as part of another band at some point - sjpdg mentioned one scenario - but I can't imagine that being anything but a very short-term arrangement. For anything more than that, even a temporary reunion of the original Fleetwood Mac, I think the possibility of that happening is zero - no one but Mick seems to have any interest in that.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

MICK:
The only one who's been really talking about this in media... It seems strange to me that he's been talking about reunion for years now, if it was only something he himself was dreaming of. So I guess, at least he must have made a few phonecalls to the others and had some positive feedback.

JOHN:
I don't know... I somehow feel that he would go along and f0ll0w Mick in whatever happens. They've always been together...

PETER:
We're all worried about the pressure on Peter's shoulders in a situation like that. However, I do think Peter would have handled it nowadays. Don't know why.. I just think!

JEREMY:
I have had the impression Jeremy's the one most reluctant. (i.e. since Peter started playing again in the 90s). That was until recently, when he wrote at the Ledge that there had been plans of a reunion in the Royal Albert Hall. I got the impression that he had said yes, and then something got in the way and the whole thing was cancelled. I wonder what the plans were? Who was in charge? How far did they get? Did they meet? Rehearse? What happened? Why was it cancelled?

DANNY:
No.
(Hope he's doing ok... not much news lately)

I do think Mick, Jeremy, Peter and John could have got togther in a studio and made fantastic stuff.
I do think Mick would be wise enough to not overplay and ruin Peter's mellow style.
Regarding Peter's style and approach these days, we here at the Ledge know that it is completely different from 40 years ago (of course it is!!!) The same goes for Jeremy! But Peter's the one people are gonna look at in search for a guitar hero. But he's not gonna give them that. (At least not according to their definition of a guitar hero.)

The thing is, I don't think Jeremy or Peter have that much interest in doing a "retro-show"... so apart from a few Fleetwood Mac classics, I think some blues standards (or even better.. some new originals) would have worked better.
I think a studio session and some low-key gigs would have been the way to do this... just the four of them having fun.

Anyway, I am glad for everything new ... Jeremy Spencer solo and Peter Green & Friends!

As for reunions (or near-reunions) over the years:
1971: Peter touring with F.Mac in 1971 after Jeremy leaving
1973: Peter playing on Nightwatch (Penguin album)
1979: Peter playing on Brown Eyes (Tusk album)
1981: Peter playing on Rattlesnake Shake and Super Brains (Mick's The Visitor LP)
1995: Jeremy playing with Fleetwood Mac onstage in Japan. Bootlegs, anybody?????
2001: Peter, John and Mick playing on Yo Yo Man (John Mayall's Along For The Ride)
2003: Jeremy and Mick playing Maria de Santiago (instrumental version) on Gaia (various artists album)
2004: Jeremy, John and Mick playing on No Borders (Mick's Something Big album)
2008-9 ? : Jeremy, John and Mick playing together during their meeting in the Man Of The World DVD (Peter Green documentary). Recorded at Mick's home??