Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default An Alternative Fleetwood Mac

Ok this question is just a little bit far fetched, but just imagining that a rival Fleetwood Mac was started by the past members (just as Boney M did).

Who would you like to see in it (anyone who isn't Mick, John, Stevie or Lindsey). Feel free to poach someone from the post rumours era too. Oh and assume that Danny Kirwan was mentally and physically able. You'll obviously have to have a session drummer unless you want to do a John Mayall and ditch the drummer completely.

For my group I'd like to see Peter Green, Dave Walker, Bob Welch, Christine McVie, and Rick Vito and perhaps Bob Brunning on bass.

Personally I think this lineup would be able to cover pretty much all of the bases, from the blues of Peter, Dave, Chris & Rick, though the middle and later periods of FM of Chris, Rick and Bob.

Naturally my version of FM would be simply about playing the hits, I wouldn't expect any new material from them. The guitar playing would be fantastic though...
Old 05-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Ok this question is just a little bit far fetched, but just imagining that a rival Fleetwood Mac was started by the past members (just as Boney M did).

Who would you like to see in it (anyone who isn't Mick, John, Stevie or Lindsey). Feel free to poach someone from the post rumours era too. Oh and assume that Danny Kirwan was mentally and physically able. You'll obviously have to have a session drummer unless you want to do a John Mayall and ditch the drummer completely.

For my group I'd like to see Peter Green, Dave Walker, Bob Welch, Christine McVie, and Rick Vito and perhaps Bob Brunning on bass.

Personally I think this lineup would be able to cover pretty much all of the bases, from the blues of Peter, Dave, Chris & Rick, though the middle and later periods of FM of Chris, Rick and Bob.

Naturally my version of FM would be simply about playing the hits, I wouldn't expect any new material from them. The guitar playing would be fantastic though...
You might want to sit down for this. Really. Are you sitting down? Ok. Here we go.

I'm with you on this line up. I don't know so much about Brunning on bass, but I'm willing to go with it at least to try it out. I think it might sound pretty cool. Don't know who we'd get to play drums though. Assuming Danny was able, I'd love to see him and Peter instead of Rick. (Yes, that's right I said I'd rather have Danny than Rick. Mainly for the sake of nostalgia and to hear his smokin' guitar work again.)

This is an intriguing fantasy idea. One I will play in my head. Thanks for suggesting it.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You know I was thinking after I posted this, if Peter Green said to Jeremy and Bob Brunning that he was putting the band back together (and they rejoined), that would be three-quarters of the original band. I'd be curious what would happen if he decided to do this and tour under the name "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac". He'd have a reasonably strong case for claiming the right to use the name.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You know I was thinking after I posted this, if Peter Green said to Jeremy and Bob Brunning that he was putting the band back together (and they rejoined), that would be three-quarters of the original band. I'd be curious what would happen if he decided to do this and tour under the name "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac". He'd have a reasonably strong case for claiming the right to use the name.
If that actually happened, Mick Fleetwood would join in a heartbeat. "Goodbye Lindsay, and Stevie, I'm home again." Brunning would leave in two months because John McVie would come around as well.

You are aware when Mick gets depressed, he brings out the Peter Green material to brighten his mood? This scenario would be a dream come true for Mick. He realizes (as some of us do on this msg. board) that if the original band stayed intact (with Kirwan), they would've been in that top tier of rock bands. Their influence certainly would've produced better Jam bands than what are out there now.

Of course now it would be all for nostalgia, because Peter can't sing nor play like he once did. Yet Jeremy still has it, if not better than 40 years ago.

Last edited by slipkid; 05-16-2009 at 08:23 AM..
Old 05-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
If that actually happened, Mick Fleetwood would join in a heartbeat. "Goodbye Lindsay, and Stevie, I'm home again." Brunning would leave in two months because John McVie would come around as well.

You are aware when Mick gets depressed, he brings out the Peter Green material to brighten his mood? This scenario would be a dream come true for Mick. He realizes (as some of us do on this msg. board) that if the original band stayed intact (with Kirwan), they would've been in that top tier of rock bands. Their influence certainly would've produced better Jam bands than what are out there now.

Of course now it would be all for nostalgia, because Peter can't sing nor play like he once did. Yet Jeremy still has it, if not better than 40 years ago.
You may want to check out my conspiracy theory thread over in the "Post Rumours" area. I think something like this could just happen. (At least in my fantasies it does!!)
Old 05-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well are you trying to say today's Fleetwood Mac isn't a nostalgia act? They haven't made good music or had a hit in 22 years .
Old 05-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Well are you trying to say today's Fleetwood Mac isn't a nostalgia act? They haven't made good music or had a hit in 22 years .
Touché
Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
... that if the original band stayed intact (with Kirwan), they would've been in that top tier of rock bands.
I'm convinced that they would've been on such a high level that Led Zeppelin would've been an afterthought.

Quote:
... Their influence certainly would've produced better Jam bands than what are out there now.
Oh, I don't know about that, though. If you're talking "King of all Jam Bands", no one, not even the Grateful Dead, tops the Allman Brothers Band...and not even had Fleetwood Mac stayed intact from 1970 onwards.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I'm convinced that they would've been on such a high level that Led Zeppelin would've been an afterthought.

Oh, I don't know about that, though. If you're talking "King of all Jam Bands", no one, not even the Grateful Dead, tops the Allman Brothers Band...and not even had Fleetwood Mac stayed intact from 1970 onwards.

For some reason I can't wrap my head around being bigger than Zeppelin, they were pretty big. I certainly could see them on equal footing. If Peter could've lived in the limelight just five to ten more years, he would've been the household name the other guitarists of his generation have become.

As for the jam bands, I'm not saying they would've been better than the Allmans, just different. Today you have two jam band schools: The Grateful Dead, and the Allman Brothers Band. Had FM continued as it was in early 1970, I think you would've had three schools because they brought a British influence to their sound.
Too many new jam bands sound the same. Another father of the genre would've created more ideas. If those bad sound recordings from 2-3/1971 are any proof, Peter Green was on another planet in the jam world. They could've been special.

That aside, I love the Allman Brothers Band. It's great Youtube has some Duane era performances online. There's a "Dreams" from 9/70 that is just stellar. I also like the current lineup with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks on guitar, easily the best tandem since Duane was alive. The Live at the Beacon DVD is a must own.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis, no Stevie!? I'm dissapointed.

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodtrick View Post
Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis, no Stevie!? I'm dissapointed.
Well you know I love Stevie and all that, but she's only 1/16th of the band...

I think I mentioned this in the post-rumours group when we were discussing the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, that I would love to see Stevie ditching the witchy persona and doing some blues.

Just mentioning Ms Nicks in this forum is probably a banning offence anyway
Old 05-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well you know I love Stevie and all that, but she's only 1/16th of the band...

I think I mentioned this in the post-rumours group when we were discussing the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, that I would love to see Stevie ditching the witchy persona and doing some blues.

Just mentioning Ms Nicks in this forum is probably a banning offense anyway
Since I'm a huge fan of Tom Petty, it's not a banning offense. I respect Stevie Nicks. I even had a crush for Christine McVie when I first watched "Hold Me" in 1982 thanks to MTV (I was 11). What saves Stevie Nicks from her punishment is that Tom Petty is a huge Peter Green fan ("Oh Well" 30th Aniversary concert?? the best cover version ever!!!). His XM/Sirius Buried Treasure show has allowed him to play many Peter Green tracks this past season. I think he's been in a blues mood the past few months. All is forgiven. We can all be friends.

Last edited by slipkid; 05-19-2009 at 12:23 AM..
Old 05-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
His XM/Sirius Buried Treasure show has allowed him to play many Peter Green tracks this past season. I think he's been in a blues mood the past few months. All is forgiven. We can all be friends.
I'm very pleased to hear that he'll be playing some Peter Green. I've only just started to find a way to get hold of the Buried Treasure asits not broadcast in the UK. I'm only upto listening to show 9 of his first season. It's been great so far. Fleetwood Mac has been absent so nice to hear he'll be playing some in future.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Simon View Post
I'm very pleased to hear that he'll be playing some Peter Green. I've only just started to find a way to get hold of the Buried Treasure asits not broadcast in the UK. I'm only upto listening to show 9 of his first season. It's been great so far. Fleetwood Mac has been absent so nice to hear he'll be playing some in future.
Here is the tracklist from season four.

http://tompetty.com/index2.php?modul...ws_item_id=756

For some reason Petty didn't start playing a lot of Peter Green related material until this season. I think there's an Otis Spann track and an "Oh Well" somewhere in previous seasons.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Here is the tracklist from season four.

http://tompetty.com/index2.php?modul...ws_item_id=756

For some reason Petty didn't start playing a lot of Peter Green related material until this season. I think there's an Otis Spann track and an "Oh Well" somewhere in previous seasons.
He seems quite fond of Danny Kirwan also, playing a few of his tunes.
And very fond of Greeny era John Mayall, but who isn't .