The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Still their best album, in my opinion. It never gets old for me.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I've heard Mick say that.

I traded Paul McCartney's Pipes Of Peace album
for TUSK. I believe I got the better of that trade.

I've never looked at Tusk as a failure. An experimental
double album that went 4X Platinum (2 million sold).
Not bad, not bad at all.

However, it might be the album that testifies to Lindsey's
genius or his insecurity. Afraid the new album wouldn't
achieve the success of Rumours, maybe in this way
he took the easy way out. Why not make an album that's
guaranteed not to be a commercial success on purpose?
No risk there.
Pipes of Peace? Not Paul's finest moment!

Afraid Tusk wouldn't perform like Rumours? That was never the point. Lindsey was pushing artistic boundaries beyond expectations. I feel this is one of his shining moments, and one of their most significant albums. Tusk was statement that challenged the establishment. It was a reasonable commercial success, just not at the astronomical level of Rumours. Yet with the benefit of time and perspective, Tusk is now considered an artistic stand-out. It's rightfully lauded for its bold defiance of conformity.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-13-2015 at 09:39 PM..
Old 10-13-2015, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Pipes of Peace? Not Paul's finest moment!

Afraid Tusk wouldn't perform like Rumours? That was never the point. Lindsey was pushing artistic boundaries beyond expectations. I feel this is one of his shining moments, and one of their most significant albums. Tusk was statement that challenged the establishment. It was a reasonable commercial success, just not at the astronomical level of Rumours. Yet with the benefit of time and perspective, Tusk is now considered an artistic stand-out. It's rightfully lauded for its bold defiance of conformity.
Yeah, I couldn't get rid of Paul's album fast enough.
Luckily one of my best friends was a huge Beatles fan.

I believe Tusk is what you said. And it happens to be
my personal favorite of the 3 big albums they put out.
But I also believe what I said was true, or at the very least
could be true.

I'm not sure it was a conscious decision Lindsey made (as
to what I wrote). But does anyone think that the fear of
failure didn't make it easier to make an "artistic" album
instead of Rumours II?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As I was busy being a country bumpkin in 1979.1980 as I was recording country radio when country music was country music .Not much of pop/rock then for me."I love those old 1979/1980 pop/rock tunes today".

I often heard a beautiful voice of Stevie's through the static as I turn the radio dial as I was DXing at night.Probably when Sara was playing.I still have my 45 of Sara which is so shot .The record just played static.

DXing is a hobby of tuning in distant radio/TV stations from 100s to 1000s of miles around the world.I still do it today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DXing

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I often heard a beautiful voice of Stevie's through the static as I turn the radio dial as I was DXing at night.Probably when Sara was playing.I still have my 45 of Sara which is so shot .The record just played static.
My original 45 of Sara is in perfect condition as are all my other singles and albums. I always took extra special care of them and refused to loan them out to friend's.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Released Oct. 12, 1979 — just a few months shy of three years after their previous effort, 1977’s Rumours, began its march toward record-breaking success — Tusk made up for the long wait between LPs by packing 20 tracks into its expanded length."

Isn't it funny how just under three years between albums was considered such a LONG wait. Sigh, how times change.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
My original 45 of Sara is in perfect condition as are all my other singles and albums. I always took extra special care of them and refused to loan them out to friend's.
I done that too.The same with my cassettes but my Sara copy was overplayed to the max .Gypsy would be next.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
"Released Oct. 12, 1979 — just a few months shy of three years after their previous effort, 1977’s Rumours, began its march toward record-breaking success — Tusk made up for the long wait between LPs by packing 20 tracks into its expanded length."

Isn't it funny how just under three years between albums was considered such a LONG wait. Sigh, how times change.
I was waiting for someone to bring up this subject. I can explain this in 2 ways. First off, most of us were in our teens or 20's when Rumours was a smash. At that age even one hour feels like an eternity.

Secondly, when you have brilliant songs like that of Rumours that are still fresh in your mind, you cannot wait to hear what the band will come up with next.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
There was time in the music industry when it was standard for artists to constantly release music to stay marketable. Often they would produce several albums and/or singles in a year. Many groups/artists achieved great success and status despite being short lived.

One of my favorite groups of the sixites is The Mamas and Papas. They only existed for three years, but managed to make four albums between 1966-1968. (a fifth one was made in 1971, but only because they each were sued a million dollar fine for not fulfilling their record contract!)

Neil Young is one of those rare prolific artists who never seems to stop. He releases an at least one (sometimes two) albums a year. I've been attempting to keep up with him. I've acquired about forty of his albums, but I'm still about fifteen short...and he keeps on cranking them out!

I wish Fleetwood Mac, in it's Lindsey/Stevie configuration, could have been more prolific (which is why one last album from them is so significant). But consolation comes from the band's long, rich history and diversity, which served as a hub for solo ventures/careers and some great music.

When Mirage was released, it was portrayed in the media as a reunion, seemingly as if they broke up, since had been a long three years since their last album. It's hard to imagine them having made an album every three years. It's just wasn't their fate, for better or worse.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-15-2015 at 11:15 PM..
Old 10-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I was waiting for someone to bring up this subject. I can explain this in 2 ways. First off, most of us were in our teens or 20's when Rumours was a smash. At that age even one hour feels like an eternity.

Secondly, when you have brilliant songs like that of Rumours that are still fresh in your mind, you cannot wait to hear what the band will come up with next.
You are so right. I was a High School Senior when Rumours came out and in College when Tusk finally came out. Felt like for ever. Have to admit I wanted more songs like Rumours and was taken back by Tusk. Especially Lindsey's stuff.
But over the years I have learned to appreciate it much more. Especially Lindsey's stuff.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I really love Tusk, its probably my favorite LP of there's beating Rumours just because its been over played so much. Tusk is different and that's why I like it plus its longer too. I don't like the Eagles Long Run LP much at all. That was a disappointment after Hotel California. Both groups I think just weren't going to please the public after having there big hit LP's previously. It seems it happens that way most of the time. But Tusk is much better than the Eagles Long Run (or as the band called it the Long One) cause it took them so long to complete it. Some songs are good but most I could live with out (like Disco Strangler--seems like filler to me) I think the song Sad Cafe is probably the best from that LP. I like all of Stevie's songs off Tusk, really I like most everyone's. I really don't skip songs on Tusk. I do wish the LP cover was a photo of the band though. I just don't understand with the MANY photo sessions they had they couldn't put some really nice photos in it.(and the LP--its really a boring looking LP though not much color--at least to me) That I'll not ever understand. Its like whats happened to all these unreleased photos sitting in some drawer NEVER to be seen ??? (Same with Stevie's SOLO LP's) how very sad. So sad --same with song outtakes/alternates etc. Anyway, sorry for the rant.
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 10-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
I do wish the LP cover was a photo of the band though. I just don't understand with the MANY photo sessions they had they couldn't put some really nice photos in it.
From what I've read, the album artwork was supposed to be a picture of either the whole band or of Stevie, and then they decided on the dog instead. Stevie was PISSED.
To hear you
Old 10-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post

1. I don't like the Eagles Long Run LP much at all.

2. That was a disappointment after Hotel California.

3. But Tusk is much better than the Eagles Long Run.

1. Same here.

2. Yep!

3. I agree.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmabelnormand View Post
From what I've read, the album artwork was supposed to be a picture of either the whole band or of Stevie, and then they decided on the dog instead. Stevie was PISSED.
Stevie was upset, saying the cover image looked like a picture of someone kicking a dog.
It's hard to believe they were ever considering having only Stevie on the cover .
The sleeves feature some cool photos.
The picture of the band where Stevie and Lindsey appear to be floating in the air would have made an interesting cover.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-25-2015 at 11:03 PM..