User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Newsweek Poll: 90% Believe in God

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17879317/site/newsweek/

The latest NEWSWEEK poll shows that 91 percent of American adults surveyed believe in God—and nearly half reject the theory of evolution. Also, Americans on John Edwards and the Senate's goal for troop withdrawal

By Brian Braiker
Newsweek

March 30, 2007 - A belief in God and an identification with an organized religion are widespread throughout the country, according to the latest NEWSWEEK poll. Nine in 10 (91 percent) of American adults say they believe in God and almost as many (87 percent) say they identify with a specific religion. Christians far outnumber members of any other faith in the country, with 82 percent of the poll’s respondents identifying themselves as such. Another 5 percent say they follow a non-Christian faith, such as Judaism or Islam. Nearly half (48 percent) of the public rejects the scientific theory of evolution; one-third (34 percent) of college graduates say they accept the Biblical account of creation as fact. Seventy-three percent of Evangelical Protestants say they believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years; 39 percent of non-Evangelical Protestants and 41 percent of Catholics agree with that view.

Although one in ten (10 percent) of Americans identify themselves as having "no religion," only six percent said they don’t believe in a God at all. Just 3 percent of the public self-identifies as atheist, suggesting that the term may carry some stigma. Still, the poll suggests that the public’s tolerance of this small minority has increased in recent years. Nearly half (47 percent) of the respondents felt the country is more accepting of atheists today that it used to be and slightly more (49 percent) reported personally knowing an atheist. Those numbers are higher among respondents under 30 years old, 62 percent of whom report knowing an atheist (compared to just 43 percent of those 50 and older). Sixty-one percent of the under-30 cohort view society as more accepting of atheists (compared to 40 percent of the Americans 50 and older).

Still, it is unlikely that a political candidate would serve him or herself well by declaring their atheism. Six in ten (62 percent) registered voters say they would not vote for a candidate who is an atheist. Majorities of each major party — 78 percent of Repulicans and 60 percent of Democrats — rule out such an option. Just under half (45 percent) of registered independents would not vote for an atheist. Still more than a third (36 percent) of Americans think the influence of organized religion on American politics has increased in recent years. But the public is still split over whether religion has too much (32 percent) or too little (31 percent) influence on American politics. Democrats tend to fall in the "too much" camp (42 percent of them, as opposed to 29 percent who see too little influence) as Republicans take the opposite view (42 percent too little; 14 percent too much). In the poll, 68 percent of respondents said they believed someone could be moral and an atheist, compared to 26 percent who said it was not possible.

The NEWSWEEK poll also asked respondents about recent developments in national politics. This week the Senate joined the U.S. House of Representatives in passing legislation along party lines that included a "goal" for troop withdrawal by next March. A majority (57 percent) of Americans support the legislation. The president’s approval ratings remain at just 33 percent, up just three points from his all-time low in the NEWSWEEK poll earlier this month. Two-thirds (66 percent) of the respondents were dissatisfied with the direction the country is headed in and Bush’s rating for his handling of the war in Iraq (28 percent) continues to be lower than his handling of terrorism (45 percent) and the economy (41 percent).

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, who recently announced that his wife's cancer has returned, is a popular figure, with 41 percent of Americans saying they have a generally favorable view of him (27 percent have an unfavorable view). And most (56 percent) think the former senator should remain in the race despite his wife's medical situation. Very few (12 percent) suspect that he is using Elizabeth’s illness to his political advantage. Seventy-two percent feel that staying in the race was something the Edwards family genuinely saw as the right thing to do and half (51 percent) think it will put Edwards more in touch with the concerns of average Americans (41 percent don’t). Indeed, just 11 percent of Americans think his wife’s health would be enough of a distraction to keep Edwards from his duties were he to be elected next year (64 percent think her illness would be at least "somewhat" distracting).

The poll also found limited voter demand for former Vice President Al Gore to toss his hat into the ring. Despite a spate of publicity around his involvement in the Academy Award-winning documentary "An Inconvenient Truth," only a third (33 percent) of registered voters want to see him run again while a majority (56 percent) would not. Still, about half (49 percent) say there is at least some chance they would vote for Gore if he were on the ballot next year (a quarter, 24 percent, say there would be a "good chance" he would get their vote). Nearly half of registered Democrats (47 percent) want him to run, 39 percent do not and 14 percent are undecided.

The NEWSWEEK Poll, conducted March 28-March 29, has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points for questions based on all registered voters and plus or minus 6 percentage points for results based on registered Republicans and Republican leaners. In conducting the poll, Princeton Survey Research Associates International interviewed 1,004 adults aged 18 and older.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i didnt read that cause the first sentence was far to depressing
Old 03-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How often do they do this poll? And isn't it always the same?

It's a little scary that half the country rejects the "theory" of evolution. Although I wonder how many people actually know what it entails...the popular view that it states that humans evolved from monkeys is way off. My high school biology teacher refused to teach the chapter on evolution because it was, and I quote, "Such a touchy subject." So no one even knows what the hell it is because the teachers are too scared ****less to teach it, they just know it's something bad.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
How often do they do this poll? And isn't it always the same?

It's a little scary that half the country rejects the "theory" of evolution. Although I wonder how many people actually know what it entails...the popular view that it states that humans evolved from monkeys is way off. My high school biology teacher refused to teach the chapter on evolution because it was, and I quote, "Such a touchy subject." So no one even knows what the hell it is because the teachers are too scared ****less to teach it, they just know it's something bad.
dont they teach evolution in schools? thats got to be a crime to restrict kids knowledge because some adults want them to be restricted to there views.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good grief~~

This is ridiculous!!! I never thought the theories of Evolution and belief in a Supreme Diety were mutually exclusive....In MY worldview, a supreme Diety is BEHIND (and responsible for) Evolution. Sheesh.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Für Elise View Post
i didnt read that cause the first sentence was far to depressing
I had the same reaction.

But in reference to what you said about evolution being taught in schools...I have to say that no one tried to teach me about it until I got into college. I had teachers before then (in public school, even) telling the class it was all a lie, and that Darwin retracted all of his beliefs right before his death. I think that is a common misconception and something the far right likes to tote out to support their agenda and all.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden View Post
I had the same reaction.

But in reference to what you said about evolution being taught in schools...I have to say that no one tried to teach me about it until I got into college. I had teachers before then (in public school, even) telling the class it was all a lie, and that Darwin retracted all of his beliefs right before his death. I think that is a common misconception and something the far right likes to tote out to support their agenda and all.
dude. louisiana scares the **** out of me.

i also like when people say it's just a theory. so is atomic theory and cellular theory - who wants to debate those?

btw, i can't read the article either. i'm too close to an open window.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I had the same reaction.

wow! i went to private school and they taught evolution as fact or as developing fact but kind of like science is always developing not like they were doubting it
Old 03-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post

i also like when people say it's just a theory. so is atomic theory and cellular theory - who wants to debate those?
yeah cause really everything is a theory. evolution is a theory and religions are theories and that i even exist is just a theory. they like to use it especially with evolution just to make it look doubtful even though everything is just the same
Old 03-31-2007, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Für Elise View Post
yeah cause really everything is a theory. evolution is a theory and religions are theories and that i even exist is just a theory. they like to use it especially with evolution just to make it look doubtful even though everything is just the same
pretty much. of course, nobody has any agenda when it comes to debating those concepts.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

btw, i can't read the article either. i'm too close to an open window.
Aw, well Louisiana does have some cool places. Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette...unfortunately I did not go to middle and high school in any of the above.

Anyway, yes, I do love that "it's just a theory" argument. Ha. Am I correct in saying that it is only in physics that we have completely indisputable laws as opposed to theories? I remember this fabulous article from some years back--"Christian Right Lobbies to Overturn Second Law of Thermodynamics."
Old 03-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Aw, well Louisiana does have some cool places. Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette...unfortunately I did not go to middle and high school in any of the above.
i'm sure it does, but after my embarrassing squealing last night re: CV, i have to regain my biyotch status somehow

Quote:
Anyway, yes, I do love that "it's just a theory" argument. Ha. Am I correct in saying that it is only in physics that we have completely indisputable laws as opposed to theories? I remember this fabulous article from some years back--"Christian Right Lobbies to Overturn Second Law of Thermodynamics."
wait. are we talking about a real article or an onion article?
Old 03-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
wait. are we talking about a real article or an onion article?
OMG, I'm sorry. LOL! I really thought I'd typed "fabulous Onion article." That was quite a typo.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OMG, I'm sorry. LOL! I really thought I'd typed "fabulous Onion article." That was quite a typo.
LOL.

don't scare me like that!!!! i already mentioned i'm very close to an open window. that really did scare me.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
Still, it is unlikely that a political candidate would serve him or herself well by declaring their atheism. Six in ten (62 percent) registered voters say they would not vote for a candidate who is an atheist. Majorities of each major party — 78 percent of Repulicans and 60 percent of Democrats — rule out such an option. Just under half (45 percent) of registered independents would not vote for an atheist.
This is what pisses me off. "Oh, look at this person. He/she has been shown to be a natural born leader all of his/her life. In fact, there is no other candidate that would be better at leading our country. Oh wait! He/She is an atheist, I'll never vote for that person." AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!

I have to repeat: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!

Look what a, I dare to say, zealously religious man has done to our country. I can't believe a majority of the people didn't think it was strange that he said the country should go to war because "God told him so." What, is he a prophet too? Oh mighty prophet Bush, tell me, what has God to say about all the people killed in this ridiculous war?

Sorry to rant, but that really annoys me.