The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Careful viewing of the “Playboy After Dark” footage would seem to indicate that the band had played live, but that the way it was edited left it not entirely in sync.
At the very end of the number, after the last of the vocals, it does not appear as if Fleetwood’s drumming is matched to the music – there are multiple cymbal shots and he can be seen bent over his tom-toms, just pounding away –
The shots of Artie Johnson with his head against the amps were also most likely shot separately – he cannot be seen on stage in any of the wider shots of the band playing (though that could also be due to dancers on the set)

There is also a brief segment, which I don’t believe is easily found on line, where Hefner, with Barbie Benton by his side, along with Don Adams and Artie Johnson bids the audience “good-night” until next week and ‘Albatross’ is heard playing in the background –

Between all of the talk, the briefness of the clip and the sound quality, it is impossible, (for me, anyway) to tell if it was the record playing or if they might have also taped the band performing that number also and went with the two more high energy numbers, ‘Rattlesnake Shake’ and ‘Coming Your Way’ instead (which would make sense to me)

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 08-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Spelunking down that rabbit hole once more –

As suspected, the original audio (the studio recording) on the promotional clip that the BBC used for broadcast of ‘The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)’ was replaced by Castle Communications with a live performance, taken again, from the shows at the Boston Tea Party –

However (there’s that word again, Martin) Green’s spoken intro is not the one heard on “Live at the Boston Tea Party Vol.1” On the CD he says, “This is about the Devil.”

On the video, he introduces the song by title, “This is ‘The Green Manalishi’”. Nothing more. After that, the recordings are the same.

The title only intro is the one heard on the full length version of the song (16:34 vs. 12:56) that was first released on “Roots – The Original Fleetwood Mac Live in Concert”

I would have to believe that when compiling the Tea Party tapes for release, along with any number of other edits that were made on the material, (aesthetic choices made without any input from the artists) that they chose to splice in the intro from a different performance onto the head of the song – (maybe they thought it sounded cooler?)

Much as I love the music on the three CD set, it remains a source of frustration

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 08-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got this 1980 Bob Welch interview from my friends website at American Radio History.

Bob Welch Modern Recording magazine in the studio interview.

The interview starts on page 44.

http://www.adrive.com/public/D6rkCP/...ng-1980-01.rar

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 08-14-2014 at 03:48 PM..
Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Awesome mag! Thanks for posting. Swaying the time frame to a few years earlier, I feel the Welch/Kirwan period will probably always remain a mystery, although I wish that era specifically was discussed more. Probably not going to happen because one guy wasn't invited to the Hall of Fame, and the other was too sick to make the trip.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Spelunking down that rabbit hole once more –

As suspected, the original audio (the studio recording) on the promotional clip that the BBC used for broadcast of ‘The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)’ was replaced by Castle Communications with a live performance, taken again, from the shows at the Boston Tea Party –

However (there’s that word again, Martin) Green’s spoken intro is not the one heard on “Live at the Boston Tea Party Vol.1” On the CD he says, “This is about the Devil.”

On the video, he introduces the song by title, “This is ‘The Green Manalishi’”. Nothing more. After that, the recordings are the same.

The title only intro is the one heard on the full length version of the song (16:34 vs. 12:56) that was first released on “Roots – The Original Fleetwood Mac Live in Concert”

I would have to believe that when compiling the Tea Party tapes for release, along with any number of other edits that were made on the material, (aesthetic choices made without any input from the artists) that they chose to splice in the intro from a different performance onto the head of the song – (maybe they thought it sounded cooler?)

Much as I love the music on the three CD set, it remains a source of frustration
Green Manalishi on the early years? Do they actually have a specific segment where they performed (mimed) this song that is commercially available? On my copy it's a mash-up of a different live performance.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:46 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Careful viewing of the “Playboy After Dark” footage would seem to indicate that the band had played live, but that the way it was edited left it not entirely in sync.
At the very end of the number, after the last of the vocals, it does not appear as if Fleetwood’s drumming is matched to the music – there are multiple cymbal shots and he can be seen bent over his tom-toms, just pounding away –
The shots of Artie Johnson with his head against the amps were also most likely shot separately – he cannot be seen on stage in any of the wider shots of the band playing (though that could also be due to dancers on the set)

There is also a brief segment, which I don’t believe is easily found on line, where Hefner, with Barbie Benton by his side, along with Don Adams and Artie Johnson bids the audience “good-night” until next week and ‘Albatross’ is heard playing in the background –

Between all of the talk, the briefness of the clip and the sound quality, it is impossible, (for me, anyway) to tell if it was the record playing or if they might have also taped the band performing that number also and went with the two more high energy numbers, ‘Rattlesnake Shake’ and ‘Coming Your Way’ instead (which would make sense to me)
With regard to Playboy After Dark and sync vs. live: Careful viewing raises the question: are the guitars plugged in? Do not think so ...
Old 08-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Author View Post
With regard to Playboy After Dark and sync vs. live: Careful viewing raises the question: are the guitars plugged in? Do not think so ...
oh, yes - though it's not easy to check out (as the guitars' bottoms are rarely seen to where the jack inputs are), but i can't trace a connected cable. so, my bet is on a pre-recorded instrumental playback with a live vocal.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone have this particular DVD boot?

Old 08-18-2014, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post

i already asked the seller about the quality of the footage - but with no answer yet. not really a particularly low priced item, though. nevertheless i might give it a try, as i don't think there'll be another official release of that stuff. anyone out there who knows more about this item?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post

I guess most of the songs are available on the old, official "Early Years" DVD and on other DVD bootlegs and Youtube.
I suspect "The Green Manalishi", "Black Magic Woman", "Coming Your Way" and "A Fool No More" are just a bunch of still photos played together with the music.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
Green Manalishi on the early years? Do they actually have a specific segment where they performed (mimed) this song that is commercially available? On my copy it's a mash-up of a different live performance.
I am basing this the information found in Christopher Hjort's book - he writes that on June 04, 1970, the song was featured on BBC-1's "Top of the Pops", saying that "...a montage is presumably assembled in the absence of a proper group performance."

As with the substitution of the audio on 'Rattlesnake Shake', the mash-up of clips they used was most likely one that Castle put together to pad out the running time, as much of the "performance" footage is recycled from the NRK television broadcast which they obviously had the rights to

E. Vedder
Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I am basing this the information found in Christopher Hjort's book - he writes that on June 04, 1970, the song was featured on BBC-1's "Top of the Pops", saying that "...a montage is presumably assembled in the absence of a proper group performance."

As with the substitution of the audio on 'Rattlesnake Shake', the mash-up of clips they used was most likely one that Castle put together to pad out the running time, as much of the "performance" footage is recycled from the NRK television broadcast which they obviously had the rights to
Ah yes, but on June 17th 1970, they surprisingly reunited to "lip-synch The Green Manalishi for tomorrow's Top of the Pops (BBC-1 TV) at Television Centre, White City, west London."

I take it this performance has never been released?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To the best of my knowledge, (limited as it is) no it has not been released, placing it among a fairly large number of television appearances, both in Britain and throughout Europe that have never surfaced (at least amongst collectors I have been in contact with).

For me, one of the most intriguing of the missing performances, (the information on the taping again comes from Hjort) would be their appearance on How Late It Is (BBC-1) on May 09, 1969. Hjort has them performing Kirwan’s ‘Loving Kind’. This is a personal favorite of mine and as a studio version has yet to surface, it might be assumed they performed it live (or to a pre-recorded track, at the least)

The first live version caught on tape that I am aware of is from their set at the Buxton Progressive Blues Festival on September 26, 1969, almost four months later

E. Vedder
Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

As soon as I started reading your post I thought of that example of Loving Kind. I don't understand why the BBC doesn't make this stuff commercially available, I thought Fleetwood said there would be a Live at the BBC Vol. 2 in the liner notes to the first cd.

To your knowledge, is there any live version of One Sunny Day that has surfaced?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The chances are good that the video (and most likely) the audio of many of the televised appearances no longer exists - there have been many "Live at the BBC" collection by a large number of bands released over the years, including two for The Beatles, but again, these were all from radio broadcasts

the other problem of course, is clearing the release with everyone involved - thus, The Rolling Stones' BBC airshots remain available only on bootleg

As far as I know, the only version of 'One Sunny Day' out there is the studio version - should have been released as a single

E. Vedder