Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:34 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Songs for each boyfriend!

Can we find every song about each boyfriend of Stevie's?

What I have so far:
- High School sweetheart: I've Loved and I've Lost
- Lindsey: Long Distance Winner, Frozen Love, Landslide, Crystal, Dreams, I Don't Want to Know, The Chain, Silver Springs, Angel, Kind of Woman, Gold and Braid, That's Alright, and so many more I can't list them all
- Don Henley: The Highwayman, Ooh My love
- Walter Egan: N/A
- JD Souther: N/A
- Derek Taylor: Beautiful Child
- Paul Fishkin: Sleeping Angel
- Mick: Sara (bits of it), Storms, If You Ever Did Believe (not sure about this, can someone confirm?), Beauty and the Beast, Watch Chain, 24 Karat Gold
- Hernan Rojas: Destiny Rules
- Not at all sure about this one: Glen Parrish: If Anyone Falls (heard it somewhere, need confirmation about this whole relationship)
- Jimmy Iovine: Straight Back, Jimmy Come Back
- Joe Walsh: Has Anyone Ever Written For You, Long Way to Go
- Rupert Hine: Rooms on Fire
- Dallas Taylor: For What It's Worth
- Guy much younger than she: there are a few lyrics 1990s-onwards that hint at that relationship but nothing obvious.

Walter Egan and JD Souther are pretty much the only ones who don't have a song that I can think of ~ what did they do to deserve this?

As a bonus, these guys are only rumored to have had a thing with Stevie:
- Tom Petty: If You Were My Love, That Made Me Stronger, Hard Advice
- Prince: Thousand Days

Last edited by nicolasjz; 05-17-2016 at 05:28 PM..
Old 05-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought 'Thousand Days" was about Lindsey after he left the band shortly after the release of TITN.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
I always thought 'Thousand Days" was about Lindsey after he left the band shortly after the release of TITN.
Billboard, 18 April 1998

"'Thousand Days' was written about my non-relationship with Prince," says Nicks, who had earlier composed "Stand Back" with him - although she notes he's never called her back "to set up his payment on 50%" of the latter. "Days" recounts an abortive, all-night '80s recording session with him at his Minneapolis home during a Fleetwood Mac tour, climaxing with Nicks "smoking my pot - he didn't agree with my lifestyle - and going to sleep on Prince's floor in his kitchen. I like him, but we were just so different there was no possible meeting ground."
Old 05-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is "Angel" really about Lindsey? I thought it was about Mick.

Parts of "Sara" relate to Don Henley also, don't they? The part about "when you build your house", and also the possibility that she's talking at the end about a baby she aborted that was fathered by Don.

Isn't "Smile At You" about someone known also? And does anyone have a clue about "Violet and Blue"?
Old 05-16-2016, 11:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
Is "Angel" really about Lindsey? I thought it was about Mick.

Parts of "Sara" relate to Don Henley also, don't they? The part about "when you build your house", and also the possibility that she's talking at the end about a baby she aborted that was fathered by Don.

Isn't "Smile At You" about someone known also? And does anyone have a clue about "Violet and Blue"?
I thought I had read an interview where Stevie said Angel was about Lindsey but I can't find it anywhere so maybe I'm getting it wrong. "When you were good, you were very, very good" screams Lindsey though. It's possible the song is about both Lindsey and Mick, and we know it's also about the legend of Branwen in the Mabinogion.

Re Sara, Stevie has contradicted herself on the meaning of the "when you build your house" line:
Us Magazine, July 1990: [On whether the line in the song Sara, 'When you build your house, I'll come by' is about Don Henley, whom she was dating at the time?] (laughs) That is true. He did [build the house]. And I was in it before he finished it.

Entertainment Weekly, July 2009
When you build your house” was about when you get your act together, then let me know, because until you get your act together, I really can’t be around you.”

Entertainment Weekly: Some people have said it’s about Don Henley, whom you dated around that time too…
“He wishes! If Don wants to think the ‘house’ was one of the 90 houses he built—and he did build house after beautiful house, and once they were done, he would move because he wasn’t interested in them anymore [laughs]… No. He is one of my best friends in the world. If anything happened to me, he would be there, always. But if someone said that, they’re so full of s—!”

But yes, the song definitely contains elements about the abortion of her and Don's baby.

About Violet and Blue, I don't recall Stevie ever talking about its meaning but some ledgies have speculated, and I think they have a point, that it was about Tom Petty and the rumours of an affair between the two.

Last edited by nicolasjz; 05-16-2016 at 11:43 AM..
Old 05-16-2016, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Loving this thread........Great idea.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm gonna play the "Captin Obvious" card..... Dreams, of course, was written for Lindsey...
Old 05-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

How Still My Love is a very intense song. It was written around the time of the Mick affair but its very harsh and could be about Lindsey. The part "They say your not the man for me" appears to be about someone that is not a good fit for Stevie. Mick and Lindsey would fit that puzzle. The part " you make it easy in the still of the night" I always imagine could be about the Mick affair and how they would secretly meet in the late nights. The part "you don't forget me" is something like from Silver Springs of intense harshness towards a jilted ex-lover. That part could be about Lindsey. Anyone know more about the song?

Blue Denim is about Lindsey too.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-16-2016 at 05:09 PM..
Old 05-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasjz View Post
Can we find every song about each boyfriend of Stevie's?

What I have so far:
- Derek Taylor: Beautiful Child
As a bonus, these guys are only rumored to have had a thing with Stevie:
- Tom Petty: If You Were My Love, That Made Me Stronger, Hard Advice
- Prince: Thousand Days
- Mike Campbell: For What It's Worth
I am at least somewhat familiar with ALL of Stevie's rumoured boyfriends that you named. However, can someone tell me who Derek Taylor is ? It sounds like an interesting story. Derek Taylor, anyone, anyone?

Also, I always thought that Tom Petty and Stevie were just friends. Is there documentation that the high priestess took into relationship territory with Tom?
Old 05-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

there are sooooooo many boyfriends she's had that we don't know about at all, so it's always fun to watch people guess.

No one would ever have known or guessed about Derek Taylor had she not spilled the beans. Ever.

There's that younger man she talked about dating, the one who was a waiter and who had two young kids. Which songs are about him?

We do know that she dated Hernan Rojas towards the end of Tusk and went off with him to Chile for 6 weeks where she wrote Bella Donna so I'm betting some parts of that are about him. And Destiny Rules he has said he believes are about him

"Six weeks in a foreign country
How the time flew
I didn't speak the language
But somehow I knew
That that would be the only time
That we could be alone and foolish
We said we'd never come home"

Ken writes in his book about her dating one of the recording engineers during the Rumours time after she and LB split.

I wouldn't say no songs are about JD Souther, we just don't know if any are. (I always thought Belle Fleur was)

Which ones are about Rupert Hine?

I always thought When I See You Again was about Kim and the divorce, but who knows. There have to have been more songs about that relationship.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 05-16-2016 at 10:11 PM..
Old 05-16-2016, 11:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I am at least somewhat familiar with ALL of Stevie's rumoured boyfriends that you named. However, can someone tell me who Derek Taylor is ? It sounds like an interesting story. Derek Taylor, anyone, anyone?

Also, I always thought that Tom Petty and Stevie were just friends. Is there documentation that the high priestess took into relationship territory with Tom?
Derek Taylor was the Beatles' road manager. He and Stevie had a very short affair in the summer of 1977 while he was still married. He got married in 1958, hence the "you fell in love when I was only 10" line in Beautiful Child.
During a Rumours Tour show in Los Angeles Stevie dedicated Landslide to him using the nickname "Beauiful Child."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcHIIu-w6FM

Stevie has always said she and Tom were only friends but there were lots of rumours in the early 1980s as well as during Tom's divorce in the 1990s. Personally I believe her. Her rapport with Tom always seemed brotherly-sisterly much more than romantic.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
How Still My Love is a very intense song. It was written around the time of the Mick affair but its very harsh and could be about Lindsey. The part "They say your not the man for me" appears to be about someone that is not a good fit for Stevie. Mick and Lindsey would fit that puzzle. The part " you make it easy in the still of the night" I always imagine could be about the Mick affair and how they would secretly meet in the late nights. The part "you don't forget me" is something like from Silver Springs of intense harshness towards a jilted ex-lover. That part could be about Lindsey. Anyone know more about the song?

Blue Denim is about Lindsey too.

To me, HSML has always been about Lindsey
especially because of the "well you go YOUR way" lol

i also think Nothing Ever Changes is about him
Old 05-17-2016, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=nicolasjz;1183830]Derek Taylor was the Beatles' road manager. He and Stevie had a very short affair in the summer of 1977 while he was still married. He got married in 1958, hence the "you fell in love when I was only 10" line in Beautiful Child.
During a Rumours Tour show in Los Angeles Stevie dedicated Landslide to him using the nickname "Beauiful Child."

Derek Taylor was a journalist who became The Beatles Press officer and Publicist at the request of Brian Epstein...Later he also worked for The Beach Boys in a similar capacity.

He worked for Warner Bros in the late 70's maybe he met Stevie then...
Old 05-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

[QUOTE=sue;1183843]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasjz View Post
Derek Taylor was the Beatles' road manager. He and Stevie had a very short affair in the summer of 1977 while he was still married. He got married in 1958, hence the "you fell in love when I was only 10" line in Beautiful Child.

Derek Taylor was a journalist who became The Beatles Press officer and Publicist at the request of Brian Epstein...Later he also worked for The Beach Boys in a similar capacity.

He worked for Warner Bros in the late 70's maybe he met Stevie then...
Publicist, right. My bad.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Ooh My Love" was inspired by Stevie's relationship w/Don Henley. This became known when Sara Fleetwood divulged her old rehearsal tapes for the Street Angel tour to the fan community a few years ago. "Ooh My Love" was rehearsed in '94 and Stevie is heard on the tape recordings saying this is another song inspired by her relationship with Don.

"For What It's Worth" was inspired by Stevie's (then secret) relationship with Dallas Taylor (former drummer for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) whilst on the Street Angel tour.