User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Surely we are all entitled to want what we want. I am one who craves a certain type of Stevie song. I hope for that on this new release. No apologies.
I too want the Rhiannon songs and I know she is doing this for us, but I would majorly be disappointed if they didn't make the cut, especially Maker of Birds, which I believe is one of her prettiest, most sophisticated melodies ever. I could do without the "the Black Lord of Death" line though. Also, love the darkness of Forest of Black Roses.

We waited for years, so naturally we would be disappointed. I don't understand how those songs can be denied while she records songs like Starshine Silver, Castaway… I don't get why people want those over Maker of Birds, which actually has an original, beautiful melody that morphs and takes us to different places

However, I'm betting it made the album because of that Rhiannon pic Dave had on his sound board while they were recording. Those track lists are probably totally wrong.

Last edited by Jondalar; 08-01-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
I've never heard of anyone taking old demos and making a compilation album by re-recording them and bringing them to full realization. Does anyone else know of one?
Van Halen (with David Lee Roth) released an album called 'A Different Kind of Truth' in 2012, that featured seven new recordings/re-workings of old demos of theirs from the late '70s & early '80s, alongside six brand new songs. As I recall, it was marketed and promoted as a brand new album and not as a compilation.

I love the concept behind '24 Karat Gold,' but I really hope they treat it as the new album that it is. To market it as some sort of compilation would do the album a serious disservice. Front cover should feature a brand new photo of Stevie. The Polaroids should be saved for the liner notes, with maybe two or three laid out on the back cover.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Neil Young is another one who has recorded a lot of songs written in decades past and placed them on new albums but I really can't think of a well known recording artist who has released an entire album of songs that were all written but never released 20 plus years ago.Someone on here posted that Paul McCartney was planning on it but it never came to fruition.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't understand why anyone would care what year a song was written. A good song is a good song. There are only so many songs on an album, and if you're a prolific writer you are always going to have to make some tough choices about what can be included and what there isn't room for. Where are those songs that don't get included supposed to go? Throw them away? Songs don't have expiration dates beyond which you can never record them. I could give a crap what year a song was written (other than some of the context about how it came to be written). I don't get offended because songs on an album weren't born five minutes before.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I too want the Rhiannon songs and I know she is doing this for us, but I would majorly be disappointed if they didn't make the cut, especially Maker of Birds, which I believe is one of her prettiest, most sophisticated melodies ever. I could do without the "the Black Lord of Death" line though. Also, love the darkness of Forest of Black Roses.

We waited for years, so naturally we would be disappointed. I don't understand how those songs can be denied while she records songs like Starshine Silver, Castaway… I don't get why people want those over Maker of Birds, which actually has an original, beautiful melody that morphs and takes us to different places

However, I'm betting it made the album because of that Rhiannon pic Dave had on his sound board while they were recording. Those track lists are probably totally wrong.
I too love these songs. I just wonder how they would sound with Stevie's current voice. Part of the beauty of the demos is the clarity and flexibility of her voice. I for one doubt she could sing those songs in the same key or as fluidly as she did then. But who knows.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I too love these songs. I just wonder how they would sound with Stevie's current voice. Part of the beauty of the demos is the clarity and flexibility of her voice. I for one doubt she could sing those songs in the same key or as fluidly as she did then. But who knows.
Very good point
Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Well if people don't like her voice, they can always listen to the demos. Her voice on any of those songs is not going to be as good probably. The Rhiannon songs shouldn't be singled out.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post

Wonder is any of these songs will have horns on them...
Ha! "Cathouse Blues"

Interesting reading these posts now!