The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac and Orange amplification?

I've seen old pictures of Fleetwood Mac with walls of big Orange amplifiers,
and I've also read that the Shrine '69 live recording were done with Orange amps.
I'm a guitarist myself and I love the guitarsounds on that album. Later on it seems like they moved to Fender amplifiers..
and I don't think the recordings made with the Fenders sounds as good.

What happened to Fleetwood Mac's wonderful sounding Orange amplifiers?
Maybe Jeremy knows
Old 07-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Ledgie

I'm really curious

The last picture of Fleetwood Mac with Orange gear must've been an Orange 4x12 cab under Jeremy's Fender amp,
and that was from early '71 I think.

Jeremy, do you still have your Orange amp and speaker-cabinet?

Last edited by Cussion; 07-08-2006 at 11:08 AM..
Old 07-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Ledgie

bump it up
Old 07-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussion
bump it up
Hello Cussion,
When FM first started, Pete used a Vox and I used a Fender Tremolux until Orange set us all up with kit and caboodle including sound system back in 69. As far as I can remember, I for one stopped using Orange not long after, as it sounded too much like a Marshall. Pete and John followed suit and we both ended up using Fender. It was a blow to poor Cliff Cooper who was just starting in the sound system business.
We’re now reconciled after 37 yrs, as I use an Orange AD15 for practice, and an AD30 on the album and on stage! Something happened with the sound, which Cliff explained. It’s just so nice and mellow for blues, bit of a shame that it seems to have a name for purely rock. Some purist people came up on the last gigs couldn’t believe I would use an Orange for blues!! Doesn’t matter to me, a rose by any other name ….
I used a 30 watt Laney tube amp a few times too, that was good. Very similar to the Orange and a Vox AC30.
Hope this is informative enough! Sorry it took awhile.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Ledgie

Hi Jeremy !

Thank you very much for your informative reply!
Actually, I'm living in Sweden and Orange amps seems rare in the music shops around here but I had the chance to try an Orange AD30 at a Denmark Street shop a few years ago, and it sounded beautiful. I think the reason that people seem to associate them with rock music is because they have very much distortion. Being a bluesplayer myself I also seem to go for a nice mellow overdriven tone, instead of tons of gain.. the playing seems to loose it's character with too much distortion.

What kind of amps did you and Danny use on the Kiln House tour?
Old 07-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussion
Hi Jeremy !

Thank you very much for your informative reply!
Actually, I'm living in Sweden and Orange amps seems rare in the music shops around here but I had the chance to try an Orange AD30 at a Denmark Street shop a few years ago, and it sounded beautiful. I think the reason that people seem to associate them with rock music is because they have very much distortion. Being a bluesplayer myself I also seem to go for a nice mellow overdriven tone, instead of tons of gain.. the playing seems to loose it's character with too much distortion.

What kind of amps did you and Danny use on the Kiln House tour?
I don't remember. But probably Fender. Never been happy with them, really. Too brittle or something, can't explain it. It was a young girl music shop assistant who turned me onto the new Orange amp in Lucerne. She heard me playing through a Fender De Ville, saw I wasn't happy, and said she had the perfect amp for what I was trying to do ... an Orange! I said 'No way'. She persuaded me to try it (an AD 15). And I was sold.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer
I don't remember. But probably Fender. Never been happy with them, really. Too brittle or something, can't explain it. It was a young girl music shop assistant who turned me onto the new Orange amp in Lucerne. She heard me playing through a Fender De Ville, saw I wasn't happy, and said she had the perfect amp for what I was trying to do ... an Orange! I said 'No way'. She persuaded me to try it (an AD 15). And I was sold.
Thank God for young shop girls...long may they prosper

Last edited by P90pup; 07-17-2006 at 10:50 PM..