Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default live concert database?

Is there a site on the web that has listings regarding previous concerts and tours? There is a great site for Yes called Forgotten Yesterdays. There are listings for every tour and show with setlists, photos, and reviews, it has a wealth of information. I am curious as to what songs they played live during the Welch era. Most of the recordings I've heard are 'live in the studio' radio programs, timed at an hour, and I wonder if their actual concerts were more representative of the time. Most of the radio shows tried to cover too much of the entire career span, and not enough of what was new at the time. Did a lot of their then current songs get overshadowed by dragging out Green Manalishi, Oh Well, and Rattlesnake Shake once again? Don't get me wrong, I love those songs. But, I'd much rather hear the writers interpretation of their own songs. Is there such a place with that information?
Old 08-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightfire View Post
I am curious as to what songs they played live during the Welch era. Most of the recordings I've heard are 'live in the studio' radio programs, timed at an hour, and I wonder if their actual concerts were more representative of the time. Most of the radio shows tried to cover too much of the entire career span, and not enough of what was new at the time. Did a lot of their then current songs get overshadowed by dragging out Green Manalishi, Oh Well, and Rattlesnake Shake once again? ?
One thing you need to understand about Fleetwood Mac throughout their history, they DON'T seem to fill their sets with their current material...sure, 3 or 4 songs from the latest album, but that's about it. And, especially during the "Welch era radio shows" you mention (I'm assuming the ones from 1974), they packed the set with older Fleetwood Mac material because they were fighting for their professional lives due to the litigation vs Clifford Davis (for the right to BE "Fleetwood Mac"). Plus, before the Buckingham Nicks era, they still relied heavily on the material that Peter Green wrote, since that, still at the time, was their bread & butter. Their sets would usually open & close with Peter's tunes, since they were still the most familiar material.

A basic set (since they didn't at the time stick to playing the same set over & over like they have since Buckingham joined) of theirs during the '74 tour would've been something like:

Get Like You Used To Be
Green Manalishi
Station Man
Spare Me A Little
Sentimental Lady/Future Games
Bermuda Triangle
Believe Me
Why
Angel
Black Magic Woman
Oh Well
Rattlesnake Shake

encores:
Homeward Bound
Hypnotized

Other songs I heard them play in '74:
Jewel-Eyed Judy
I'd Rather Go Blind
Bad Loser
Come A Little Bit Closer
I Loved Another Woman
Coming Home

(if you'll notice, it is fairly similar to the radio shows, since a Fleetwood Mac set at the time was usually about 70-80 minutes...they weren't consistently headlining their shows then...more often than not they were an opening act or a co-headliner...so, sometimes when they were the opening act, the set would only be an hour; if that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightfire View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love those songs. But, I'd much rather hear the writers interpretation of their own songs. Is there such a place with that information?
There's a fairly decent tour history over at the FM Legacy site. (Fleetwood Mac Legacy)

It is far from complete, but it seems to have the most info of any site I've seen, so far. (apologies to the Adelson's)
Old 08-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Junior Ledgie

Wow, thanks for the Legacy link. That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. The concert reviews were very interesting. I had forgotten about the band's actual status at the time. They had a lot of stuff going against them, not to mention an audience that really didn't keep up with the band. It wasn't until they achieved mega-star status they could really be who they were at the time, and not what they were in the 60s. I was 15 when the white self titled came out, and I never saw any of the previous versions live.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What I would give to hear 'Come A Little Bit Closer' live!