Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Penguin & Mystery

The Welch/Weston years. provided us with two albums, one is usually considered on of, if not THE weakest Mac album, while the other is considered to be among their best. What I've noticed is that one album has four or five great songs, while the other has four or five filler songs. Which brought me to the obvious next step: What if they had taken their time and released ONE album that was a CLASSIC?

Remember Me
Emerald Eyes
Believe Me
Hypnotized
Just Crazy Love
Keep On Going
Revelation
Did You Ever Love Me
Miles Away
Dissatisfied
Nightwatch
Why

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They DID release one album that is an absolute CLASSIC.
It's called Mystery To Me. It's my all time favorite album.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
They DID release one album that is an absolute CLASSIC.
It's called Mystery To Me. It's my all time favorite album.
MTM is great, and mostly a classic. Of all the albums, it's still the one I listen to the most. The "good" songs are among the best in the history of the band. But songs like "The City" (the killer guitars just can't make up for the lyrics), "Somebody" (a pretty good, though not really great song), "The Way I Feel" (Zzzzzzz, and the lyrics are bad in a few spots), "Forever" (sorry, I've gotten to be anti-drum machine), and "For Your Love" (great song - Hell, great version, but still a cover mixed in with greater material from two writers who were on to something). But, if you take the five songs that make "Penguin" worth buying, then it's a TRUE classic.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-02-2006, 11:19 PM

steve just think of them as bob welch scatting... that's all i think this guy ever wrote lyrics for was to fill the chords with some kind of melody...

sen ta men tal gen tle wind

etc etc etc
Old 08-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I enjoy the spectacle of you sociologist boys opining forth on what constitutes a "classic"!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
MTM is great, and mostly a classic. Of all the albums, it's still the one I listen to the most. The "good" songs are among the best in the history of the band. But songs like "The City" (the killer guitars just can't make up for the lyrics), "Somebody" (a pretty good, though not really great song), "The Way I Feel" (Zzzzzzz, and the lyrics are bad in a few spots), "Forever" (sorry, I've gotten to be anti-drum machine), and "For Your Love" (great song - Hell, great version, but still a cover mixed in with greater material from two writers who were on to something). But, if you take the five songs that make "Penguin" worth buying, then it's a TRUE classic.
I disagree. The killer guitars DO save The City. I really like Somebody, too. Agreed, a couple of lyric changes might make The Way I Feel better, although I still love it, nonetheless. IF I had to pick a song to lose, I would choose For Your Love. They did a good job, but it's just not their song.

MTM takes me to another place. Every great album should do just that.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always wonder about the love for MTM. I mean, it has some truly great songs on there, but others are just really quite tiresome to me. "Miles Away", "Somebody" and "The City" for a start - I've tried to like them but I just don't see what's in them "Forever" is a bit throwaway, and "Believe Me"... sorry, I know I'm in the minority here

I love the rest - I love "The Way I Feel" - very pretty - "Just Crazy Love" is great, plus "Hypnotized" and "Why" of course.

I also differ from most people about Penguin as well - "Night Watch" and "Revelation" send me to sleep (literally, on at least one occasion) but I like "The Derelict" and "Caught In The Rain", and I even have time for "Road Runner"

I would totally agree about making a great album out of the two, but mine would have all different songs on it
Old 08-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
I would totally agree about making a great album out of the two, but mine would have all different songs on it

The beauty of hypotheticals.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldve probably put Bright Fire on there, but that's just me.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I always wonder about the love for MTM.
Why? Even as is, it's a great album. With songs like "Hypnotized" and "Why," it's bound to hold a special place in the hearts of fans. I think many of the songs had even more potential, as heard through live recordings, than what was actually on the album, but still it's great.

Quote:
I mean, it has some truly great songs on there, but others are just really quite tiresome to me. "Miles Away", "Somebody" and "The City" for a start - I've tried to like them but I just don't see what's in them
I think "Miles Away" is a great song. I could almost hear the classic version of Guns & Roses covering the song. John's bass playing is amazing on this one. It's probably the first time he stands out as a bassist.

Quote:
and "Believe Me"... sorry, I know I'm in the minority here
I dunno. I bet most on here would agree that the album version of this song pales in comparison to various live versions of the song. I never really thought that much of it until I heard the Record Plant version. I also think the 1973 Midnight Special version is great (especially the ending).

Quote:
I also differ from most people about Penguin as well - "Night Watch" and "Revelation" send me to sleep (literally, on at least one occasion) but I like "The Derelict" and "Caught In The Rain", and I even have time for "Road Runner"
I disagree on almost all accounts. The only thing lacking on "Revelation" is John McVie on bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
The problem with that song is that you have to put in context. Five or six years earlier, and it's a timeless classic. But, by 1973, it felt outdated at best. Bob once said something like he knew it sounded dated when he brought it to the band, but that the band really didn't give him any direction. After that, Bob realized that he needed to set the direction for the group, hence wy he dominates the next two albums.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's an interesting assesment Steve. I hadnt that Bob really didnt care fot it before.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Quote:
The problem with that song is that you have to put in context. Five or six years earlier, and it's a timeless classic. But, by 1973, it felt outdated at best. Bob once said something like he knew it sounded dated when he brought it to the band, but that the band really didn't give him any direction. After that, Bob realized that he needed to set the direction for the group, hence wy he dominates the next two albums.

I dunno ..."Bright Fire" sounds like the logical follow-up to "The Ghost" & "Sentimental Lady"; which it was. Because "Future Games" sounds so much more like it should've been on Heroes Are Hard To Find, it seems way ahead of its time. So much so that Bob's two songs on Bare Trees sound more like a step backwards by comparison...then he had to catch up with "Bright Fire", "Night Watch" & "Revelation".
Old 08-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think "Miles Away" is a great song. I could almost hear the classic version of Guns & Roses covering the song. John's bass playing is amazing on this one. It's probably the first time he stands out as a bassist.
I agree that John sounds great on this, but other that I think it's blah. And I always hated Guns n Roses I think actually I'm not a huge fan of Bob's - I love some of his stuff but not all by a long way.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't like any of these albums.

I'd rather listen by far to Tallis.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I don't like any of these albums.

I'd rather listen by far to Tallis.
WHo are they?