Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Ledgie

Default Which Members in Rock HOF?

Hello All-- In the discussion thread "Breakdown of 'Kiln House', Snoot has a post that says that Danny Kirwan was included in the FM Hall lineup? Is that true? If so, why aren't all the "pre-'Rumours' members included? Peter Green's omission is stupid, imho. Best always, Madelow.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

See here for more Madelow.

http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/fleetwood-mac
Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ps

If Peter were ever to have been omitted, it would be about the only thing that could top Bob Welch's de facto omission, as there never would have been a Fleetwood Mac to begin with without Green, or the B&N Mac unit and glory without Welch.*

You might want to revisit that Kiln House thread again, especially as page 2 rolls into page 3, as quite a bit of ground is covered in that discussion that touches on some of these things (about halfway down, starting with a PS by yours truly):

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=15567&page=2

But in a nutshell, suffice to say Mick pulled a copout!

* Edit PS :: Note Street Dreamer's comment regarding BW below

Last edited by snoot; 01-17-2009 at 10:36 PM..
Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelow View Post
Hello All-- In the discussion thread "Breakdown of 'Kiln House', Snoot has a post that says that Danny Kirwan was included in the FM Hall lineup? Is that true? If so, why aren't all the "pre-'Rumours' members included? Peter Green's omission is stupid, imho. Best always, Madelow.
Pretty much you don't want to talk about the HOF as it makes some of us cry...

Eight in, eight forgotten. Anyone remember Bob Welch or Billy Burnette here?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Pretty much you don't want to talk about the HOF as it makes some of us cry...

Eight in, eight forgotten. Anyone remember Bob Welch or Billy Burnette here?
Yeah, it kind of sucks for the guy who Mick himself said "saved Fleetwood Mac" isn't in the hall of fame. I could take Billy, Rick, Bekka and Dave M. not being in, but Welch, Weston and even Walker should have been in too.

Matt
Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Yeah, it kind of sucks for the guy who Mick himself said "saved Fleetwood Mac" isn't in the hall of fame. I could take Billy, Rick, Bekka and Dave M. not being in, but Welch, Weston and even Walker should have been in too.

Matt
Don't you like Bob Brunning?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Don't you like Bob Brunning?
What was it, 2 to 4 weeks on a strictly temp basis? Hard to say yea or nay, but a lapse like that alone could be overlooked I suppose. Beyond that, it pretty much pales, and moves into unforgiven territory.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
What was it, 2 to 4 weeks on a strictly temp basis? Hard to say yea or nay, but a lapse like that alone could be overlooked I suppose. Beyond that, it pretty much pales, and moves into unforgiven territory.
Although if McVie had decided to stay with Mayall then it may not have been a temporary basis.

Anyway, a member is a member - he was in the band, and if he is to be believed he did uncredited bass parts when McVie was too drunk anyway...
Old 01-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
2 or 4 weeks? What the heck. At least he played their debut gig! Where John didn't want to leave the "steady bucks rolling in" with John Mayall. On the HOF it is mentioned that Peter, Mick and John started FM, accompanied by Jeremy. Bull! It was Peter, Mick and Jeremy, with Bob after auditioning on bass, knowing that he would be probably be replaced by John.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do agree with Chriskisn and Wouter re Bob Brunning, for all the reasons they gave - plus his loyalty to the Mac in other ways through the years. All I meant to say was that -IF- there had been but one omission, I could understand it being Brunny's, simply because he knew in advance he was being used as a temp. But like you guys rightly state, what -IF- John never gave up his tether with Mayall, and how do you overlook the christening of Fleetwood Mac at Windsor with Bob plucking the bass?

Indeed.

PS. Wouter, that whole HOF write up is slanted conveniently for the members they did induct, even if it meant hedging a little in the name of accuracy. Try recall something Handsome Steve once noted: how can you overlook Welch when one of the 10 "essential songs" they include [Sentimental Lady] - right there on the FM HOF page - was done by him!

Insane.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The link is useful, not only in telling us who was inducted but in revealing (albeit unintentionally) how wrong it was to leave out Welch: Sentimental Lady is listed as one of the band's "essential songs" in the right hand column.

Add to the Welch's prominent place in the band's timeline at the bottom. He is, in a word, everywhere on the page, except in the list of inductees at the top!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs down

Why couldn't all 16 be inducted? Is there some sort of HOF quota?

It's stupid to pick and choose members.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Ledgie

Dear Snoot & All-- Thanks for all the great responses! Boy, do I feel stupid. For as long as I've loved the band, I've always assumed the Hall only counted the "Rumours" quintet. It's great to know that Peter, Jeremy, and Danny were included! Although I started my FM experiences with the White & Rumours albums, (as Christmas presents), I've come to appreciate their past as well. Bob Welch is now a favorite, and "Hypnotized" is in my top five Mac songs. Thanks for helping with my Rock Hall and FM education. Best wishes, Madelow.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There have been umpteen threads on why he wasn't inducted...

In brief: he was involved in a lawsuit with Mick, John, and Chris at the time. So, the most common explanation is that the trio kept him from getting it. However, the RRHOF committee spokesperson at the time said some crap like "Bob Welch's contributions were not RRHOF calibre." A horsecrap answer for an ultimately awful omission.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
There have been umpteen threads on why he wasn't inducted...

In brief: he was involved in a lawsuit with Mick, John, and Chris at the time. So, the most common explanation is that the trio kept him from getting it. However, the RRHOF committee spokesperson at the time said some crap like "Bob Welch's contributions were not RRHOF calibre." A horsecrap answer for an ultimately awful omission.
ChiliD has mentioned this in other places before, but I completely agree with it; Mick should have made it a point that ALL of the members of the band be included in the hall of fame or they would decline the invitation. But of course...

Matt