Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default English Rose

Track listing for EnglishRose (from double album configuration)
Stop Messing Round
Jigsaw Puzzle Blues
Dr Brown
Something Inside Of Me
Evening Boogie
Love That Burns
Black Magic Woman
I'Ve Lost My Baby
One Sunny Day
Without You
Coming Home
Albatross

doodyhead
Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Please Do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Oh...I think I'll just go & do something else for a while and calm down before I end up posting something that'd get my ass kicked off this site.
Inquiring minds want to know
I am sure my friends from across the pond could gain some insight.

May the Snoot be with you

LOL
Old 08-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ms Moose
Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well nice to know that there is drama here on the Pre-Rumours forum!! Usually it's confined to the Stevie forum.

When I began this FM "Battle of the Songs", I said only original full studio albums would count as albums through out the battle - no compilation albums, no Live albums, no greatest hits albums, no Grandma Ethel's favorite FM hits album , BUT that "all officially released FM songs" will eventually be counted and considered in there on special category.

Take Peter's songs for example - all of Peter's songs from "other" album releases, would be put together in 1 category and so forth for each singer/songwriter.

Combining English Rose with Pious Bird of Good Omen is simply a compromise, since several songs overlap the original LPs.

So Ledgies, lets just keep up with those "other" songs for later categories.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default compromise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Well nice to know that there is drama here on the Pre-Rumours forum!! Usually it's confined to the Stevie forum.

Combining English Rose with Pious Bird of Good Omen is simply a compromise, since several songs overlap the original LPs.

So Ledgies, lets just keep up with those "other" songs for later categories.
even by your standards it don't make sense since "English Rose" Had songs not in the other two "Norman Conquest" releases. As such it was an official release with a different setlist.
Pious bird on has some of the same qualities and can be compared to some Beatles releases.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
even by your standards it don't make sense since "English Rose" Had songs not in the other two "Norman Conquest" releases. As such it was an official release with a different setlist.
Pious bird on has some of the same qualities and can be compared to some Beatles releases.
"English Rose" was the bastardized U.S. version of "Mr. Wonderful", complete with "Albatross", "Black Magic Woman", and several Danny Kirwan tracks that didn't see any official U.K. release until "The Original Fleetwood Mac" in '71. ("English Rose" is the album that changed Carlos Santana's financial future.). The only problem with "ER" is that it didn't include "Rollin' Man", and "Trying So Hard to Forget". Those songs were just as important as "Love That Burns" to the original "Mr. Wonderful".

As doodyhead states, this is like having "And Your Bird Can Sing" on a non-existent UK album "Yesterday and Today" (U.S. release), while it should be on the UK version of "Revolver". The same can be said of "Drive My Car" = "Rubber Soul" (UK). I think it's fair to go by the FM UK versions, since (as with the Beatles) the US fans have access to the original albums today.

If "Man of the World", and "The Green Manalishi" get their day in judgement, then it's ok.

Last edited by slipkid; 08-31-2010 at 12:24 AM..
Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh...I think I'll just go & do something else for a while and calm down before I end up posting something that'd get my ass kicked off this site.
That was the intention!

Fleetwood Mac was a British band. "English Rose" is a compilation album similar to "Pious Bird".

Anyway, I am glad they chose "When You Say" instead of "Oh Well", as "When You Say" is the superior song.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
no Live albums
Why would one judge the Allman Brothers only on their studio albums, when they have one of the best live rock albums of all time, "Live at the Fillmore East"? Why would one judge The Who without "Live at Leeds"?

Why would someone want to forget that Fleetwood Mac was THE greatest live rock band on the planet during the late winter/early spring of 1970? The "Live in Boston vols. (1-3)" document an officially sactioned live recording. The problem is Peter Green left the band at the worst possible time, and the tapes were shelved because any future FM band incarnation would play inferior to those tapes. That's why they didn't see the light of day until 1985 on LP boots. By then the Buckingham/Nicks version of FM was breaking up.

Last edited by slipkid; 08-31-2010 at 12:48 AM..
Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default no live albums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Why would one judge the Allman Brothers only on their studio albums, when they have one of the best live rock albums of all time, "Live at the Fillmore East"? Why would one judge The Who without "Live at Leeds"?

Why would someone want to forget that Fleetwood Mac was THE greatest live rock band on the planet during the late winter/early spring of 1970? The "Live in Boston vols. (1-3)" document an officially sactioned live recording. The problem is Peter Green left the band at the worst possible time, and the tapes were shelved because any future FM band incarnation would play inferior to those tapes. That's why they didn't see the light of day until 1985 on LP boots. By then the Buckingham/Nicks version of FM was breaking up.
equally, fleetwood mac Blues Jam in Chicago features:
Like it this way
homework
talk with you
last night
watch out
sugar momma
when you squeeze me (i forgot the title)

none of those essential FM songs are on any studio album but most were in their live repitoire
and for the most part MR Wonderful is a live album in the studio
Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
That was the intention!

Fleetwood Mac was a British band. "English Rose" is a compilation album similar to "Pious Bird".

Anyway, I am glad they chose "When You Say" instead of "Oh Well", as "When You Say" is the superior song.
You really ARE delusional, aren't you?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
"....and several Danny Kirwan tracks that didn't see any official U.K. release until "The Original Fleetwood Mac" in '71.
There were no Danny Kirwan tracks on that album originally. Those were just dumped onto the CD when they did the Complete Blue Horizon Sessions box set in the late 90's. (and, the box set's Pious Bird... disc isn't even CLOSE to the track listing of the original album)

English Rose is every bit legitimate an album as Meet The Beatles, Second Album, Something New, Beatles '65, Beatles VI, and Yesterday & Today.

It's what us Yanks heard FIRST, so that's what's in our souls. Don't give a flying f*** what was "intended" or any **** like that. It is what Fleetwood Mac's official second album was to the US audience....like it or not, that's a f***ing fact.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
English Rose is every bit legitimate an album as Meet The Beatles, Second Album, Something New, Beatles '65, Beatles VI, and Yesterday & Today.
English Rose is every bit UNlegitimate an album as those Beatles LPs.

Quote:
Don't give a flying f*** what was "intended" or any **** like that. It is what Fleetwood Mac's official second album was to the US audience....like it or not, that's a f***ing fact.
You're really disturbed, man.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
English Rose is every bit UNlegitimate an album as those Beatles LPs.
I , in the guise of a musician, will attempt to explain what happened in a record contract back then.

the artist(s) rarely had any input into the releases made by the record company that claimed to represent them. As such it was up to Mike Vernon and later Ciifford Davis ($%^$%$%^) who decided what was released and to whom.
In that spirit The band in question whether it be FM or the Beatles had no idea what was going to be put out in their name. Fleetwood Mac, the bar band, however knew exactly who they were and what they played in a show. You ask anyone who saw them back then and they were "the Live Act". not the record company's product.
as such Fleetwood Mac, Mr Wonderful. English Rose, Then Play On, Blues Jam in Chicago, and Pious Bird of Good Omen can stand on their own.

Kiln House is a different story. The Band Had control of the product[. I am witness to the band playing on that tour and can tell you that they played the songs in that album pretty much as it was recorded. The era of complete record company control over the band was over (or at least different)

doodyhead

Last edited by doodyhead; 08-31-2010 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
the artist(s) rarely had any input into the releases made by the record company that claimed to represent them. As such it was up to Mike Vernon and later Ciifford Davis ($%^$%$%^) who decided what was released and to whom.
In that spirit The band in question whether it be FM or the Beatles had no idea what was going to be put out in their name. Fleetwood Mac, the bar band, however knew exactly who they were and what they played in a show. You ask anyone who saw them back then and they were "the Live Act". not the record company's product.
as such Fleetwood Mac, Mr Wonderful. English Rose, Then Play On, Blues Jam in Chicago, and Pious Bird of Good Omen can stand on their own.
Yes, yes, it's very well known that the record companies in those days to a high degree put out stuff without the artists having much to say.
But to say that the Beatles didn't have much to say about what songs were put on their UK releases ("Hard Day's Night", "Rubber Soul", "Revolver" etc...), I cannot agree with. On the other hand, just a quick glance at the tracklist of say "Yesterday And Today" reveals that it is a compilation of several albums and singles. And yes, the Beatles probably had nothing to say regarding the songs on this release.

The same goes with Fleetwood Mac. I mean, they recorded a bunch of songs in 1968, and put them out as "Mr. Wonderful". This is an album, and it was produced to sound like old Chess/blues recordings. "English Rose" was released much later, in 1969! It was put together by including some of the "old style" recordings of "Mr. Wonderful", plus the Albatross single and a few songs by the new member, Kirwan. A compilation! But it's nothing wrong with that, and I don’t mean to taunt this LP because I know ”English Rose” means a lot to many of you. I started my earlier post ”With all respect…” and I mean to offence no one!

But what chiliD said.....
Quote:
Actually, I would include English Rose and not Mr Wonderful or Pious Bird....,
....is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
Don't give a flying f*** what was "intended" or any **** like that. It is what Fleetwood Mac's official second album was to the US audience....like it or not, that's a f***ing fact.
This guy really need to start behaving like a grown up.
What's the problem?!?

Last edited by dansven; 09-01-2010 at 03:36 AM..
Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But what chiliD said.....

....is absolutely ridiculous.

This guy really need to start behaving like a grown up.
What's the problem?!?
I've kept my nose out of this one so far but I really do just want to say that I agree with Steve.

It is in no way any American fan's fault which way round the albums were released over there. So what if FM were a British band? Blondie were American but they reckon the English love them more, thus, it makes not one jot of difference where a band comes from if they have fans in another part of the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
You're really disturbed, man.
You're really rude, man.

I'd go as far as to say that Steve is the biggest and best Blues fan I've ever had the pleasure to know and his aggravation at your crass remarks is completely justified. If I was American and you'd insulted my country in that way, I'd be every bit as annoyed, too. I wouldn't give a flying pigs foot if flipping Pious Bird had been released before Dog & Dustbin over there. If that's the way they were released, that's the way they were released and until someone invents time travel you can not change that wether you like it or not.

And if When You Say is superior to Oh Well, I'm a green furry octopus.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr