The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Think About Me single remix was so much better then on the album. The harmonies were gorgeous.
LOVE Over and Over 4/2/79 OMG The ending!!!!
Tusk remixes ...wow
Still listening but I am blown away by Over and Over...
Old 12-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So much good stuff. Wasn't going to buy it but now....
The Chain live Holy Sh#t! Best version ever.
Don't Stop Live...wow! FREAKING ROCKING!!!!
Over and Over is gorgeous live..WAY under rated song.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
So much good stuff. Wasn't going to buy it but now....
The Chain live Holy Sh#t! Best version ever.
Don't Stop Live...wow! FREAKING ROCKING!!!!
Over and Over is gorgeous live..WAY under rated song.

I think my favorite thing is the live Over and Over. Especially on the last set of "over and over" when Christine does a little high pitch thing, so amazing.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Think About Me - This vocal reminds me of early-'70s Christine McVie ("Spare Me a Little," "Just Crazy Love.) It's nice to hear Stevie in the verses.

Save Me a Place - I always disliked this song because it sounded like drunk sailors on the docks, messy. But when I hear this softer, stripped-back arrangement, the tenderness of the song really shines through. I'm a fan.

Angel - This was the biggest surprise for me. It's such a unusual vocal for Stevie, sultry and "sexy" as sara79 described it. I think it perfectly conveys how taken Stevie was with Mick's style and quirkiness.

That's All for Everyone - You can tell how much Lindsey struggled with writing the words to a song, how much he wanted to express himself in a lyrical way. This sounds like a rambling stream of consciousness.

Brown Eyes - I was blown away by this version. Why on earth didn't they use more of Peter Green's guitar parts?! Neither Lindsey nor Mick seem to remember why they scrapped them.

Never Make Me Cry / Honey Hi - I wish more of Christine's piano-playing was used on Tusk.

I Know I'm Not Wrong - This version reminds me of Stevie singing on Tom Petty's "The Apartment Song." It would have been interesting to hear how another Lindsey-Stevie-Everly-Brothers-thing could have played out here.

Last edited by SpyNote; 12-05-2015 at 11:52 AM..
Old 12-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart '..you touched I had no choice.. I had to stay.."

Tusk Deluxe came yesterday and I must admit that the packaging is stellar (and they finally included the lyrics – my original nitpick about this album when it was first released). I decided to take it one step at a time and started listening to the alternate mixes and there are many great moments - many. I’m glad the stingy band (or is it the record company) finally shared these different takes with their diehard fans (yes, we are out here and we dig this stuff and we want more). Now Tusk comes in as my 3rd favorite Mac album. I’m one of those fans that doesn’t consider it a masterpiece, albeit great, because it has its flaws and tracks that I skip (unless I listen to it on vinyl which I do quite frequently and I can’t wait to spin these new discs). My playlist Tusk has always been 15 tracks (5 songs from each songwriter) that I sequenced differently from the original order. I have been listening non-stop to these new alternate tracks, and started incorporating a few into my Tusk playlist which only improves the listen to this innovative and interesting record. Sounds nice and fresh and my world yesterday and today is all about listening to this gift of music from my favorite band. It’s like getting reacquainted with an old friend who has matured over time. Here is my new Tusk – with a bit of an alternative twist - playlist:

1. Over and Over – I have always loved this song and think it is a great opener and that’s how my “Tusk” playlist begins. I replaced the original with the alt version primarily because I think the end is magical with how Christine sings ‘over and over’ as the song winds down. Such an ‘under the radar’ gem - either version really works to begin the record.

2. I Know I’m Not Wrong - one of my favorite tracks and I really dig the added Stevie vocals in the alt mix. However, the original has the accordion which I think really lifts this song even higher with an added punch. Tough call for this Stevie fan, but I am choosing the accordion / original version. I wish they would have included both Stevie’s really cool vocals along with the accordion. But, it’s Fleetwood Mac. And the original is stellar! “.. her eyes looked sad..”

3. Think About Me - It’s the single remix that rocks. Dig the alt version, but can’t nix the remix.

4. Sara.. ok. Not really a fan of the alt version – it has its moments, though – the ending vocal and lyrics. Not a fan of “I don’t want to be a cleaning lady..,” the dreadful “ooh wahs..” that pop up out of nowhere and make me cringe. The original is so hauntingly arranged and the orchestration and lushness propels “Sara” to one of Stevie’s best Fleetwood Mac songs. Get rid of the “..i want to be a star..” and the “ooh wahs” and you have a pretty alt version – still pales to the original “Sara.”

5. Tusk – I really dig this alt version with all its quirkiness. “how’s the tenors, Johnny?” Did Lindsey just “eeeeeeehhh…:” and snort, or was that a burp? Alt version it is.

6. Sisters of the Moon – “We listen to their voices…” you know it’s the alt version when Stevie sings those words at the end - pretty incredible version all around. I’m listening to this moon sister’s voice in all its mystery.

7. Brown Eyes – hands down the best of the alternate versions. Took me back to Fleetwood Mac’s early years. Does she even sing “Brown Eyes”? Maybe we should call this version “Yesterday’s Tears” or even better “Green Eyes”. How did this bluesy track not make it on the original Tusk is a head scratcher. But, that’s Tusk for ya. “Sha la la… yesterday’s tears..” Love this track! Love that guitar!

8. That’s Enough for Me – when a song begins with Christine saying “sh!t, that’s fast” you know it’s going to be a rocking two minutes. I adore “That’s Enough for Me” and I think this version rocks it out of the ballpark. I can’t wait to hear the live version which I plan on getting to today.

9. Angel – I adore the smoky softness of Stevie’s voice on this alt version. She captures the song’s darkness as she described it during the Tusk doc. Yep, it’s a keeper. Is she singing “You might catch a wind, but you won’t catch me?”

10. Not That Funny - The alt version hands down. The weirdo-psycho sounding start totally fits on Tusk and the song is just pure Tusk-era Buckingham with its jarring vibe and bitterness. Love how he sings the “goodbyes” towards the end - and a great ending it is. “yea.. yea.. yea..”

11. Honey Hi – The alt version is good (the piano is too upfront for my liking), but pales to the original version. Need those lush harmonies from the band. I do like how Lindsey picks and plays on the alt version, but the original was the right call.

12. Beautiful Child – This is a roll the dice moment as I really like both versions. What drives me crazy about the alt version is when Stevie wails at the end - it reminds me of the Boston DVD version and I want her to finish with “I do love you.. I still need you.. I wish, I wish that you were mine..” I probably will go back and forth with the two versions. Did I say how much I adore “Beautiful Child.” I love how Lindsey sneaks in “too trusting yes’ at the end.

13. Save Me a Place – My favorite Lindsey song on Tusk and I have to say that I’m really digging the simplicity of the alt version. It’s a simple song already, but this breaks down its sadness and longing even more and just pulls me in. Stellar version of an incredible song.

14. Storms - Just like “Beautiful Child,” I really find something to love in both versions. I love how the alt Storms captures how sad Stevie’s voice can be and how Lindsey can capture that sadness and loneliness through his strumming. He stated that he loves this song in the album notes and you can tell. (I hear traces of Never Going Back Again in his playing). I do miss Stevie’s wandering ending lyrics from the original version, but the quivering stillness in the alt version just breaks my heart. A very Buckingham Nicks feel.

15. Never Forget – The original version hands down as I think it is the perfect closer for Tusk. The organ in the alt version is just a no go for me. I love how the singers harmonize as the song and album mellows out. “We will never forget tonight.” What a finish and what a ride – Tusk!

Up next – the live tracks!
Old 12-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Tusk Deluxe came yesterday and I must admit that the packaging is stellar (and they finally included the lyrics – my original nitpick about this album when it was first released). I decided to take it one step at a time and started listening to the alternate mixes and there are many great moments - many. I’m glad the stingy band (or is it the record company) finally shared these different takes with their diehard fans (yes, we are out here and we dig this stuff and we want more). Now Tusk comes in as my 3rd favorite Mac album. I’m one of those fans that doesn’t consider it a masterpiece, albeit great, because it has its flaws and tracks that I skip (unless I listen to it on vinyl which I do quite frequently and I can’t wait to spin these new discs). My playlist Tusk has always been 15 tracks (5 songs from each songwriter) that I sequenced differently from the original order. I have been listening non-stop to these new alternate tracks, and started incorporating a few into my Tusk playlist which only improves the listen to this innovative and interesting record. Sounds nice and fresh and my world yesterday and today is all about listening to this gift of music from my favorite band. It’s like getting reacquainted with an old friend who has matured over time. Here is my new Tusk – with a bit of an alternative twist - playlist:

1. Over and Over – I have always loved this song and think it is a great opener and that’s how my “Tusk” playlist begins. I replaced the original with the alt version primarily because I think the end is magical with how Christine sings ‘over and over’ as the song winds down. Such an ‘under the radar’ gem - either version really works to begin the record.

2. I Know I’m Not Wrong - one of my favorite tracks and I really dig the added Stevie vocals in the alt mix. However, the original has the accordion which I think really lifts this song even higher with an added punch. Tough call for this Stevie fan, but I am choosing the accordion / original version. I wish they would have included both Stevie’s really cool vocals along with the accordion. But, it’s Fleetwood Mac. And the original is stellar! “.. her eyes looked sad..”

3. Think About Me - It’s the single remix that rocks. Dig the alt version, but can’t nix the remix.

4. Sara.. ok. Not really a fan of the alt version – it has its moments, though – the ending vocal and lyrics. Not a fan of “I don’t want to be a cleaning lady..,” the dreadful “ooh wahs..” that pop up out of nowhere and make me cringe. The original is so hauntingly arranged and the orchestration and lushness propels “Sara” to one of Stevie’s best Fleetwood Mac songs. Get rid of the “..i want to be a star..” and the “ooh wahs” and you have a pretty alt version – still pales to the original “Sara.”

5. Tusk – I really dig this alt version with all its quirkiness. “how’s the tenors, Johnny?” Did Lindsey just “eeeeeeehhh…:” and snort, or was that a burp? Alt version it is.

6. Sisters of the Moon – “We listen to their voices…” you know it’s the alt version when Stevie sings those words at the end - pretty incredible version all around. I’m listening to this moon sister’s voice in all its mystery.

7. Brown Eyes – hands down the best of the alternate versions. Took me back to Fleetwood Mac’s early years. Does she even sing “Brown Eyes”? Maybe we should call this version “Yesterday’s Tears” or even better “Green Eyes”. How did this bluesy track not make it on the original Tusk is a head scratcher. But, that’s Tusk for ya. “Sha la la… yesterday’s tears..” Love this track! Love that guitar!

8. That’s Enough for Me – when a song begins with Christine saying “sh!t, that’s fast” you know it’s going to be a rocking two minutes. I adore “That’s Enough for Me” and I think this version rocks it out of the ballpark. I can’t wait to hear the live version which I plan on getting to today.

9. Angel – I adore the smoky softness of Stevie’s voice on this alt version. She captures the song’s darkness as she described it during the Tusk doc. Yep, it’s a keeper. Is she singing “You might catch a wind, but you won’t catch me?”

10. Not That Funny - The alt version hands down. The weirdo-psycho sounding start totally fits on Tusk and the song is just pure Tusk-era Buckingham with its jarring vibe and bitterness. Love how he sings the “goodbyes” towards the end - and a great ending it is. “yea.. yea.. yea..”

11. Honey Hi – The alt version is good (the piano is too upfront for my liking), but pales to the original version. Need those lush harmonies from the band. I do like how Lindsey picks and plays on the alt version, but the original was the right call.

12. Beautiful Child – This is a roll the dice moment as I really like both versions. What drives me crazy about the alt version is when Stevie wails at the end - it reminds me of the Boston DVD version and I want her to finish with “I do love you.. I still need you.. I wish, I wish that you were mine..” I probably will go back and forth with the two versions. Did I say how much I adore “Beautiful Child.” I love how Lindsey sneaks in “too trusting yes’ at the end.

13. Save Me a Place – My favorite Lindsey song on Tusk and I have to say that I’m really digging the simplicity of the alt version. It’s a simple song already, but this breaks down its sadness and longing even more and just pulls me in. Stellar version of an incredible song.

14. Storms - Just like “Beautiful Child,” I really find something to love in both versions. I love how the alt Storms captures how sad Stevie’s voice can be and how Lindsey can capture that sadness and loneliness through his strumming. He stated that he loves this song in the album notes and you can tell. (I hear traces of Never Going Back Again in his playing). I do miss Stevie’s wandering ending lyrics from the original version, but the quivering stillness in the alt version just breaks my heart. A very Buckingham Nicks feel.

15. Never Forget – The original version hands down as I think it is the perfect closer for Tusk. The organ in the alt version is just a no go for me. I love how the singers harmonize as the song and album mellows out. “We will never forget tonight.” What a finish and what a ride – Tusk!

Up next – the live tracks!
Keith,
Great review! Who did you order yours from? I ordered mine from Amazonuk... So it might be a while for me to get mine.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Tusk Deluxe came yesterday and I must admit that the packaging is stellar (and they finally included the lyrics – my original nitpick about this album when it was first released). I decided to take it one step at a time and started listening to the alternate mixes and there are many great moments - many. I’m glad the stingy band (or is it the record company) finally shared these different takes with their diehard fans (yes, we are out here and we dig this stuff and we want more).
thank you for that post - such an enjoyable reading, your pick of tracks and explanations why.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The first time I played Brown Eyes with Peter Green, tears welled up in my eyes. This version is so fantastic. I'm on my 3rd listen now and Chris' voice is so sensual it makes me wonder why I'm Gay, LOL. By far my favorite track on this "new" album so far. My 2nd fave song so far is Angel (April 2, 1979).

The Chain live kicks ass. I have always loved the live versions from May and June of 1980. The live Rhiannon is a million times better than the track they picked for the FM Live album released in 1980 but at the same time nowhere near as great as my top 3 Rhiannon's from the Tusk Tour that were performed in May and June, 1980 in Chicago, London and Rotterdam.

Near the end of the World Turning live track, I always loved how the musicians basically jammed out the music to G-L-O-R-I-A.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The 1/23/79 version of I Know I'm Not Wrong is the version I've been listening to all these years. So great to have a clean copy!
Old 12-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Sweet Lord

OK, Alternative Tusk is ridiculously amazing. I can't even right now. I don't even own it yet...only listening on Spotify until I can get it.

Over and Over....I've always been so in love with this song, especially the Live Album version and this version makes me love it even more. Such a gorgeous song and the over and overs towards the end make my heart soar!

The SMAP from the 2nd disc is my favorite. I like the Alternate version too, but that other one is otherworldly and I couldn't keep from crying listening to his gorgeous voice. Breathtaking.

Alternate Storms is gorgeous and so simple.

The different lyrics for That's All for Everyone are awesome! I love it! It's like a completely different song!

Brown Eyes - WUT!? Peter Green and Lindsey playing on this and we get more Peter Green guitar....I seriously need to lie down and pinch myself. Nope...not dreaming. Wow. Fleetwood Mac, you thought this was not supposed to go on 1979 Tusk. "We'll go with this OTHER version." SERIOUSLY? I've always loved this sexy song, but WOWOWOWOW!!

Stevie on IKINW was cool! "Dreams of a lifetime..." I dig it!

Beautiful Child is one of my fave songs..EVER. I do miss Lindsey's "ooh ooh oohhhh." though, but his guitar kills me, so as long as I have all versions of this song...I'm good. This song goes between darkness and light...SHEEESH, I love it.

This alternate Tusk is even more raw and crazy than the one we've had all these years. THANK YOU for recording all this and releasing it! Too much gorgeousness for me...I will need a bazillion more listens to take it all in. Gotta go listen to the live part now...UPDATE: The live Chain ripped my FACE off!! One of the best I've heard!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 12-06-2015 at 10:03 PM..
Old 12-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
OK, Alternative Tusk is ridiculously amazing. I can't even right now. I don't even own it yet...only listening on Spotify until I can get it.

This alternate Tusk is even more raw and crazy than the one we've had all these years. THANK YOU for recording all this and releasing it! Too much gorgeousness for me...I will need a bazillion more listens to take it all in.
I know, right? I thought I was the only one who felt this way. There are so many songs that ended up being completely different. At least, we finally get to hear what could have been.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a question about Never forget. One of the versions is listed as 6/29/78. Were they even recording that early? I was looking at the timeline of events and this seems off. Anybody know?
Old 12-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Listening to the new Remastered Tusk:
My Billboard chart:

#1 Brown Eyes...I'm absolutely blown away! Beautiful and magical. Wow!
#2 The Chain 1980...This is the sh!t!
#3 Sara (I know you're not a cleaning lady) Brought me to tears. Those outstanding backing vocals...Jesus Christ!!
#4 I Know I'm Not Wrong (Stevie is a must with this version!)
#5 Angel...Sexy!
#6 Beautiful Child! Thank God she had an affair with this man so that we have this beautiful song!
....and I will stop here for now...Wow! This is the best present my producer has given me so far.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

The biggest surprise for me is the live version of World Turning. I forgot that this lineup of the band could jam that intensely.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Ledgie

Default Brown Eyes Demo

"If your ever feeling lonely
don’t forget to call on me
through all the years I’ve known you
you’ve always been good to me

Yesterdays tears
Your over the sad years
Don’t worry cause there’s always someone
To take your troubles away
Its easier to share than worry
Its always better that way

Yesterday’s Tears
Your over the sad years
I want you to know, I want you to know,
I want you to know I’ll always be there
Yesterday’s Tears
Your over the sad years
I want you to know, I want you to know,
I want you to know I’ll always be there"

The wonderful instrumentation by Peter Green and the alternate lyrics paired together for an ephemeral experience. To me it had the same emotional pull and feel of Green Manalishi in so much as you know you are listening to greats. I don't know why she changed the lyrics completely as she did from this to the album version. But this is the gem for me on the re-release.
Well, I know where you go
To the edge of the night, baby
Don't give that to her
Baby, give that to me