The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music
Default Coming Your Way appreciation thread

I love this song. It kicks ass, and has to be Fleetwood Mac's best ever album opener.

It just sounds so damn cool, and I dig those catchy, minimalist lyrics... I got things to do/I move every day/I hope you don't mind/because I'm coming your way.

"Mr. Danny Kirwan has entered the building! If you don't like it, get out of his face!"
Old 11-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That and Jewel-eyed Judy are pretty catchy might've been rock hits. I love the bass lines on them too.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a fantastic song - "Then Play On" was the first non-Greatest Hits Mac album I ever bought, and this was the first song that really struck me as being truly brilliant (apart from "Oh Well" of course). I always wondered if they made it the album opener as a way of announcing Danny's arrival into the band - I think Peter was quite anxious to push Danny to the front in a lot of ways.

Check out the early version of CYW on the Complete Blue Horizon Sessions box set, titled "Take 6". It's quite similar but stripped down. If I remember correctly the booklet to that box set says the song was originally called "Going Your Way".
Old 11-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love it. In fact, the whole album is hard to fault. I particularly like "Although the Sun is Shining" as well
Old 11-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva View Post
Love it. In fact, the whole album is hard to fault.
Except for When You Say.

Which reminds me, I should really listen to that whole album again. Except for When You Say.

(Did I mention I don't like When You Say?)
Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post

(Did I mention I don't like When You Say?)
Not even Christine Perfect could save that song. But, considering Danny's wealth of tunes, it really is his only "stinker".
Old 11-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is where I come in and say:

I like "When You Say"

The song has some issues but I still like it
Old 11-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
This is where I come in and say:

I like "When You Say"

The song has some issues but I still like it

What issues? This is one of my favourites - I like all of it. Strange enough, because I play a lot of straight forward blues...

//Z
Old 11-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
What issues? This is one of my favourites - I like all of it. Strange enough, because I play a lot of straight forward blues...

//Z
Cool! Glad you like it too. I think the la-la section could have been a bit less stiff, but that's really my only problem with it. If Danny had just loosened the song up a bit and helped it flow more smoothly, maybe more people would have some love for it
Old 11-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
I love this song. It kicks ass, and has to be Fleetwood Mac's best ever album opener.

It just sounds so damn cool, and I dig those catchy, minimalist lyrics... I got things to do/I move every day/I hope you don't mind/because I'm coming your way.

"Mr. Danny Kirwan has entered the building! If you don't like it, get out of his face!"
I love this song, too. Who's playing the piano on it--Jeremy or Christine?
Old 11-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Who's playing the piano on it--Jeremy or Christine?
I would assume it's Jeremy. He also played the piano part on "Oh Well".
Old 11-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Ledgie

My understanding is that Jeremy didn't play on Then Play On
Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Ledgie

Check out the early version of CYW on the Complete Blue Horizon Sessions box set, titled "Take 6". It's quite similar but stripped down. If I remember correctly the booklet to that box set says the song was originally called "Going Your Way".[/QUOTE]

Hello,

Maybe someone can help me sort this out... I always assumed that "Coming Your Way" was recorded (on the 'Reprise' Label) for the "Then Play On" Album, but it gets confusing because as Bretonbanquet points out, 'Take 6' was released on the "Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" Box Set. This might indicate that the song may have first been recorded in the Mike Vernon era. I have an Acetate of the song on a 'Reprise' Label Blank (same version as released) but I also have a differet version: 'Take 2 - no 2nd Lead Guitar' on Acetate, but with a 'Blue Horizon' Label Blank. Perhaps there was more than one Session. Was this song first recorded well before the 'Blue Horizon' split (perhaps shortly after Danny joined the Band) then re-recorded by 'Reprise' for the "Rattlesnake Shake" B Side and the "TPO" Album? Any insight into this appreciated. And back to the original comment... yes it is a great song.

Cheers, Don
Old 11-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Brown View Post
Check out the early version of CYW on the Complete Blue Horizon Sessions box set, titled "Take 6". It's quite similar but stripped down. If I remember correctly the booklet to that box set says the song was originally called "Going Your Way".
Hello,

Maybe someone can help me sort this out... I always assumed that "Coming Your Way" was recorded (on the 'Reprise' Label) for the "Then Play On" Album, but it gets confusing because as Bretonbanquet points out, 'Take 6' was released on the "Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" Box Set. This might indicate that the song may have first been recorded in the Mike Vernon era. I have an Acetate of the song on a 'Reprise' Label Blank (same version as released) but I also have a differet version: 'Take 2 - no 2nd Lead Guitar' on Acetate, but with a 'Blue Horizon' Label Blank. Perhaps there was more than one Session. Was this song first recorded well before the 'Blue Horizon' split (perhaps shortly after Danny joined the Band) then re-recorded by 'Reprise' for the "Rattlesnake Shake" B Side and the "TPO" Album? Any insight into this appreciated. And back to the original comment... yes it is a great song.

Cheers, Don[/QUOTE]

Wow, there's a couple of acetates I'd like to get a hold of...

My understanding of the CYW story is much the same. I was quite surprised when the Complete Blue Horizon set appeared with a "Take 6" of the song included. My assumption is that there were indeed two (or more) sessions, the first being with Mike Vernon at Blue Horizon (obviously quite a few takes), but that when the band went through the label problems, the song was shelved for future use - maybe they didn't feel the song was finished anyway. Then when they were recording songs for "Then Play On" they made more attempts at it, coming up with the finished article we all know.

For Mike Vernon to have included the song on the box set must mean that it started life while the band were still on Blue Horizon, otherwise Vernon wouldn't have had access to it. The puzzle is your 'Take 2 - no 2nd Lead Guitar' acetate with the BH label. I don't know why this would have been made. Anyway, what does it sound like? Does it bear much relation to the "Then Play On" track, or is it more like the BH "Take 6"?

Interesting stuff!!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
Hello,

Cheers, Don

Wow, there's a couple of acetates I'd like to get a hold of...

My understanding of the CYW story is much the same. I was quite surprised when the Complete Blue Horizon set appeared with a "Take 6" of the song included. My assumption is that there were indeed two (or more) sessions, the first being with Mike Vernon at Blue Horizon (obviously quite a few takes), but that when the band went through the label problems, the song was shelved for future use - maybe they didn't feel the song was finished anyway. Then when they were recording songs for "Then Play On" they made more attempts at it, coming up with the finished article we all know.

For Mike Vernon to have included the song on the box set must mean that it started life while the band were still on Blue Horizon, otherwise Vernon wouldn't have had access to it. The puzzle is your 'Take 2 - no 2nd Lead Guitar' acetate with the BH label. I don't know why this would have been made. Anyway, what does it sound like? Does it bear much relation to the "Then Play On" track, or is it more like the BH "Take 6"?

Interesting stuff!! [/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanks for shedding some light on the topic. In Celmins' Peter Green Biography, R.J. Greaves only includes one list of songs from the "Then Play On" Sessions, which I never thought to be totally accurate or complete. That's not a knock on Mr. Greaves; just an observation. Peter Green played on a lot of music that never saw the light of day.

"Take 2 - with no 2nd Lead Guitar" isn't the best version we have ever heard, and was probably culled for that reason. The released version is hands down, the best of the lot (at least of those which I have heard). In "Take 2" Danny's Vocals are very good, but in my opinion, the 2nd Guitar is very much needed to fill out the sound.

Actually, I have a 3rd Acetate with "Coming Your Way", but it is on a Double-sided Disc paired with "Rattlesnake Shake". That one is on a 'Teal Records' Label Blank, so I assume it was cut for the South African Release of the Single, and in that instance, both Sides are exactly the same as the UK Issue.

Acetates are always a treat to find, especially when they are of Alternate Takes, but I consider it a real treasure if they are of unreleased song versions. Along with a bunch of released song versions on Acetate, I have Alternate Takes for "Long Grey Mare", "Lazy Poker", "Rolling Man", "Love That Woman", and "Madge". Some of those Titles aren't complete as we know them, but that's the way they were hand-labeled in the Studio (perhaps before the official Song Titles were assigned).

Mike Vernon must have an incredible collection of goodies, and I still don't believe he has released them all.

Some of this stuff is still floating around, perhaps at times, in the hands of those who may not even realize what they've got. If you keep your nose to the ground, you can sometimes be lucky enough to find some of this stuff.

Besides, digging around is half the fun.

Happy hunting.

Cheers, Don