User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peter and Mayall live 1967

Hi,

I posted this message on the Peter Green forum, but I was adviced to post it here too (I know it may not belong here)

Anyway, I found this article here on the Penguin:

December 3, 1998: MOJO magazine, December 1998 -- "A priceless live tape of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers featuring Peter Green has been discovered by Mike Vernon. Details are sketchy, but the recording includes versions of Double Trouble, Hideaway, All Your Love and The Stumble. Expect it next year on Deram." Thanks to Julie Kedward for this information.

Does anybody know if this has been released? According to the article it should have happened in 1999. I have always wondered why there weren't any live audience recordings of the Bluesbreakers and Peter from those days. They were THE blues band at the time, and gigging all the time.

If this recording exists, it is really "priceless", but I haven't seen it in the shops.

Daniel
Old 07-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You'd think that if there were live recordings of JM's Bluesbreakers during incarnations with Eric Clapton and Mick Taylor, that there'd be some with Peter Green who was the guitarist in between those two.

Ok, somebody start checking those abandoned suitcases in Australia.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Ledgie

Wow! I would love to hear that one..

I found this old picture of Peter Green and John McVie, playing together with Paul Butterfield. Maybe during that recording they did with John Mayall..
Old 07-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great photo, Cussion! I haven't seen that one before.

It sure would be nice it those live recordings ever get released (assuming they really exist at all).
Old 07-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

That photo is gorgeous. Where oh where is the rest of the film from that session....

Think of all the old photos that must exist that we will just never see. :-(

yes I am odd, but I'd almost rather see the photos than hear the music LOL.

-Lis
Old 07-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, thanks a lot Cussion!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Ledgie

No problems!
I'll try to post every rare photo I'll find, and right now I've got some nice pictures from an Royal Albert Hall gig in late 1968 or maybe early 1969 (anyway, they were still using the Orange gear). I found 'em on a site, but I can't remember the URL, unfortunately.. I've also got a nice black&white picture of Peter playing his sunburst Fender Strat. I've got all these photos on my computer!

But the most wonderful and rare photo I have is in an old music magazine.
It is Peter Green sittin' on a chair, playing together with Snowy White, Nigel Watson and a black percussion guy. It is from '71 or maybe early '72, Peter has got short hair and he looks a bit unshaven, playing his Fender Strat. It it a very big photo, taking up nearly two pages in the magazine.. it seems to have been shot during the same period as this one:

Old 07-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow! It sounds like it could be from the obscure "Heavy Heart" or "Beasts of Burden" sessions with Snowy and Nigel!
Old 07-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Ledgie

Yeah! I think it's from some kind of BBC television appearence,
cause they're sitting on a stage in a TV-studio with 'BBC Colour' cameras around 'em. This can bring you the most amazing thaughts, MAYBE someone out there has got the tape with a TV appearence of Peter Green performing his solo single 'Beasts of Burden' in colour!
Old 07-24-2004, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know about Beasts of Burden, but I know there is a video tape among collectors with Peter (and band) performing Heavy Heart at Top Of The Pops 6/17/1971. I'm trying to get that one!!

Maybe the photo is from that appearance...?
Old 07-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Ledgie

Yes, it may be 'Heavy Heart'
Do you know about any another photos from this period?
Old 07-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I found this in an old magazine, possibly from the same session that Cussion mentioned. The quality is not great - maybe someone with Photoshop can touch it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg early '70s green small.jpg (85.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
I found this in an old magazine, possibly from the same session that Cussion mentioned. The quality is not great - maybe someone with Photoshop can touch it up.
Thanks sharksfan! That's a cool picture..
I haven't seen it before, but it seems like it's been shot during the same time as the photo in my music magazine (they've got the same clothes and haircuts) On my picture, Peter is sitting down playing his sunburst Stratocaster (maybe he had already sold his old Les Paul by then), and the guy to the left on your picture (Nigel?) is also sitting down, playing a Fender bass.

Besides, I think Peter looks very healthy and together on that picture, doesn't he?
Old 07-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussion
Besides, I think Peter looks very healthy and together on that picture, doesn't he?
Yes, he does look good in those photos. I believe you're correct that it is Nigel on the left in that photo. Looking at the personnel listed for Peter's early '70s singles, I'm assuming the other two are Snowy White and Clifford Chewaluza.

I've found some other photos I'll see if I can scan in the next few days, a couple of Peter shortly after he left the band, and also a couple from the mid '70s where sadly he's not looking so good.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks a lot to you too, sharkfan2000!!

This is wonderful! I haven't seen many photos from the period between FM and his solo career on PVK. The only ones I've seen are the pictures on the cover of the Memphis Slim LP, and the one in the Biography.

The photos from the Memphis Slim session also show a good looking, healthy Peter. And I think that's exactly what Peter himelf said too. During that first period after FM, he felt very good, and he enjoyed the freedom that he hadn't had with Fleetwood Mac. I guess the problems must have started some time after that...?