Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Jeremy Spencer "Precious Little" review

I thought I'd just post my impression of this album... not really a review, but just a few thoughts about the songs. It would be nice to hear the oppinion to those of you who already have the album, and maybe I can tempt some more of you to go and buy it!!

These are the songs.............

1. BITTER LEMON: (original)
Acoustic, jazzy blues with sparse backing. A nice starter to set the mood and tone for the record. “Take that bitter lemon, and squeeze in a sweet lemonade...”

2. PSYCHIC WASTE: (original)
This one really rocks! We know this one from the India ’98 live recordings, but this version is FAR better – Excellent vocals! Horn section on this one.

3. IT HURTS ME TOO:
This was issued as a promo single in Norway, and can also be found on India ’98. This beautiful blues ballad features mellow slide guitar by Jeremy, and also guitar solo and harmonica solo from his excellent backing band.

4. PLEASE DON’T GO:
Hehe, great fun!! A Fabian cover with plenty of space for the band to take solos. Reminds me of the Fleetwood Mac days, with Jeremy doing Tiger, Blue Suede Shoes etc...

5. SERENE SERENA:
Back to the acoustic style of the opener. This is a rewritten version of the old classic “Corrine Corrina”. Jeremy tells the story about the woman he is singing about in the sleeve notes. They’re making a good job out of it, and this is my Mom’s favourite on the album!!

6. DR. J: (original)
Ah, the “Dust My Broom” type of song on this album!! Just had to do one! This was also released on the promo single mentioned earlier, but that was another version. Also a groovy horn section on this. I believe the “J” in the song is one Mr. J. from Nazareth approx. 2000 years ago, rather than Jeremy himself!

7. BLEEDING HEART:
This song has stayed with Jeremy since the Fleetwood Mac “London Live ’68” CD and was also played in India in 1998. It is in the same mellow blues ballad style as “It Hurts Me Too” (with Jeremy doing bird sounds on his guitar).

8. MANY SPARROWS: (original)
I love this "cowboy instrumental" with Jeremy and the band humming a little melody now and then. Indeed one of the highlights on the album!!

9. TROUBLE AND WOE: (original)
A really funky rocker with brilliant with horn section. Jeremy is playing a slide guitar with lots of effects in the (pretty intense) ending.

10. MARIA DE SANTIAGO: (original)
This lovely ballad is found as an instrumental on the Gaia album. Jeremy wrote some beautiful lyrics for the version on this album. A very nice arrangement too. The song was performed live on Norwegian TV on the release date of the album.

11. TAKE AND GIVE:
I’m sooo glad he did this Slim Rhodes cover!!! Superb slide guitar! Superb vocals! Definitely one of my favourites on the album.

12. PRECIOUS LITTLE: (original)
A beautiful ending of a beautiful record. This wistful ballad is also one of my favourites. Jeremy also tells the story behind this song in the sleeve notes.

This album is a perfect mix of classic blues and Jeremy's originals. It is my honest oppinion to give it 10 out of 10!!

This album shows not only Jeremy’s voice and slide guitar, but also what a wonderful songwriter he is!! (And from the India ’98 concerts we also have gems like have “Bend In The Road” and “Red Sky Blues”.)

It’s hard to believe that the last real album from this man came in 1979!!! So Jeremy, if you read this, it's so good to have a new album from you! And we hope to hear more of your own songs in the future!

Daniel

(Now, everybody: Go get it!)
Old 03-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for taking the time to post that song by song breakdown. Well done!
A favor to ask: could you please post the song writer credit for the Fabian song "Please Don't Go"?
While waiting for the disc to arrive, it is going to drive me nuts wondering if that is the same song circulating on bootleg that is usually listed as being from the October 9th 1968 BBC broadcast. The title for the one unreleased track from that session is "Baby, Don't You Want To Go" and I believe that is an entirely different song.
Also, I have as I have not been able to find the title "Please Don't Go" in the Fabian catalog, I am thinking that it was originally released under a different title and the composer credit might help to narrow it down.
Thanks

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 03-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
I thought I'd just post my impression of this album... not really a review, but just a few thoughts about the songs. It would be nice to hear the oppinion to those of you who already have the album, and maybe I can tempt some more of you to go and buy it!!

These are the songs.............

12. PRECIOUS LITTLE: (original)
A beautiful ending of a beautiful record. This wistful ballad is also one of my favourites. Jeremy also tells the story behind this song in the sleeve notes.

Daniel

Doing a little research (google) I came up with a song entitled "Precious Little". Here are the lyrics. Hopefully it's not the same as Jeremy's? Or has henot claimed to have written the song (if it is the same)?

Eleanor Mcevoy lyrics

"Eleanor Mcevoy Precious Little lyrics" (eleanor mcevoy)

Shake your beads out,
One by one
And call me magdalene
It won’t grieve me
I understand
Where it is you’re coming from
Draw a curtain
Close your eyes
When history’s pages fail you.
I will not open up those history books
That’s not for me to do.

Precious little in your life
Is yours by right
And won without a fight
Precious little in your life
Is yours by right
And won without a fight.

Shadows call me,
In the wind
Some don’t go away
Angels guide me
From the clouds
In everything I do and say
Shake your beads out

Kneeling down
It will not pass me by
Two people coming from a different place
Maybe neither one is right.

Repeat chorus

Shake your beads out
Join your hands
That still won’t make you right
Those so-called sinners that you’re praying for
Are standing by your side

Repeat chorus

Repeat chorus
Old 03-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nope - different song

Whilst I'm here, I was wondering if the "J. Phoenix" who co-wrote "Psychic Waste" is the celebrated Joaquin Phoenix...? Jeremy mentions him as a "young musician friend" but is it the same guy? Seems like quite a coincidence.

Last edited by bretonbanquet; 03-25-2006 at 08:30 PM..
Old 03-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Nope - different song

Whilst I'm here, I was wondering if the "J. Phoenix" who co-wrote "Psychic Waste" is the celebrated Joaquin Phoenix...? Jeremy mentions him as a "young musician friend" but is it the same guy? Seems like quite a coincidence.
Apparently it is John Phoenix according to this and some other sites:

http://www.family.gr.jp/music/cds/unchart/unc-psy.htm
Old 03-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re
Apparently it is John Phoenix according to this and some other sites:

http://www.family.gr.jp/music/cds/unchart/unc-psy.htm
Thanks for clearing that up! It was just that I knew Joaquin Phoenix was with the CoG at one point, and if he'd helped to write the song it would have been something the media would have made a big deal of. Now if ever anyone asks again, we can put them straight
Old 03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Thanks for clearing that up! It was just that I knew Joaquin Phoenix was with the CoG at one point, and if he'd helped to write the song it would have been something the media would have made a big deal of. Now if ever anyone asks again, we can put them straight
interesting! this john phoenix may be joaquin, rain, summer, and river phoenix's father, born john bottom, known as john phoenix in the CoG. the phoenix children's early years were spent in the CoG. i believe that john phoenix left the CoG in the late 1970's which (if its the same john phoenix) would date the song as from that period.

zero
Old 03-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
interesting! this john phoenix may be joaquin, rain, summer, and river phoenix's father, born john bottom, known as john phoenix in the CoG. the phoenix children's early years were spent in the CoG. i believe that john phoenix left the CoG in the late 1970's which (if its the same john phoenix) would date the song as from that period.

zero
I don't think that John Phoenix could be described as "young".

Last edited by Neb-Maat-Re; 03-28-2006 at 04:21 PM..
Old 03-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Ooer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
interesting! this john phoenix may be joaquin, rain, summer, and river phoenix's father, born john bottom.

zero
So that means his son's name was really River Bottom!
Old 03-28-2006, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
A favor to ask: could you please post the song writer credit for the Fabian song "Please Don't Go"?
Hi BklynBlue!

The composer of "Please Don't Go" is Gordon Gaibraith.

Daniel
Old 03-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond sky
So that means his son's name was really River Bottom!
A little respect for the dead.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
\

A link to where to order it, please.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
\

A link to where to order it, please.
http://www.bluestownrecords.com/katalog_e.htm

Do what they say in the blue box on the right of the page.

John
Old 03-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, John.

HEY! I see there's a band called "Jumpin' Jerry & The Blue Healers". My old blues band was called "Blue Healer"...they stole my name!! Well, I guess I can't bitch too much, my "Blue Healer" band has been broken up for 18 years with such a rare chance of a reunion, I think there'd be better odds that Dave Walker would rejoin Fleetwood Mac before that band would reunite.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
A little respect for the dead.
So, no rousing chorus of TISM's "(He'll Never Be An) Old Man River", then?