Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default RIP, Delaney Bramlett

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=7258

Delaney Bramlett Dead At 69
by Paul Cashmere - December 28 2008

Delaney Bramlett, a friend and fellow musician with greats such as Eric Clapton and George Harrison, has died in Los Angeles at the age of 69.

The many successes of Delaney Bramlett make for a long story. He was a musician’s musician, admired by the cream of rock at the centre of the birth of the music industry.

As a songwriter, he co-wrote the classic ‘Superstar’ with Leon Russell. Russell, as well as Joe Cocker and The Carpenters recorded the song as did Usher more recently.

He also co-wrote ‘Let It Rain’ with Eric Clapton. That song went on to become a Clapton standard.

Delaney produced Clapton’s first solo album. Clapton then joined him on tour with his wife Bonnie Bramlett for the Delaney, Bonnie and Friends tour. The concert was captured and released by Atlantic Records in the early 70s.

With Bonnie, Delaney had the hit song ‘Never Ending Song of Love’ and the hit daughter Bekka, who at one stage was in Fleetwood Mac.

The career of Delaney Bramlett teamed him over the years with rock’s greatest. He has performed with John Lennon, Janis Joplin, Steve Cropper, Jimi Hendrix and Joe Cocker.

Delaney’s most recent album ‘ A New Kind of Blues’ was released earlier this year.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What sad news. I wish Bekka and her family the best.

Of course, as Fleetwood Mac fans, if we played six degrees of separation, we could link to Delaney several ways without even using Bekka at all, starting with Dave Mason.

He had an amazing career. He was still young. I hope his passing was as peaceful and painless as possible. Michele
Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just saw this on another board and jumped over to see if ya'll knew yet. This is such sad news. My condolences to his loved ones. RIP Mr. Bramlett.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, how very sad. Delaney and Bonnie were influential to so many of our musical heroes. What a sad thing to hear, but also, what an extraordinary legacy to be remembered and celebrated....
Old 12-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh gosh, I didn't know that. That's pretty young too. Does anyone know how he died. Poor Bekka. D:

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥
Old 12-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you're interested, you can leave a message on Delaney or Bekka's MySpace pages. I know that Bekka checks hers regularly and I'm sure any thoughts and prayers you post for her would be sincerely appreciated.
http://www.myspace.com/delaneybramlett
http://www.myspace.com/bekkabramlett

Matt
Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodtrick View Post
Oh gosh, I didn't know that. That's pretty young too. Does anyone know how he died. Poor Bekka. D:
According to the obituary in the Los Angeles Times, he died from complications from gall bladder surgery.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrK View Post
According to the obituary in the Los Angeles Times, he died from complications from gall bladder surgery.
Yes, I just heard that on the radio and that makes it even more devastating. If his family was expecting just a routine surgery and this happened out of the blue -- wow.

Michele
Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rock songwriter Delaney Bramlett dies in LA at 69

AP LOS ANGELES – Singer-songwriter-producer Delaney Bramlett, who penned such classic rock songs as "Let it Rain" and worked with musicians George Harrison and Eric Clapton, has died. He was 69.

Bramlett died Saturday shortly before 5 a.m. at UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center in Los Angeles as a result of complications from gallbladder surgery, his wife Susan
Lanier-Bramlett said.

Born in Mississippi, Bramlett enjoyed a career in the music business that spanned 50
years. With his then-wife Bonnie Lynn, he created the Southern blues-rock band
Delaney & Bonnie & Friends. The group opened for Blind Faith, which featured British
guitarist Clapton, in 1969.

He is perhaps best known for standards such as "Superstar," co-written with Leon
Russell, which was recorded by Usher, Luther Vandross, Bette Midler, The Carpenters and most recently, Sonic Youth, in a version featured on the Grammy-nominated soundtrack of the movie "Juno."

He co-wrote "Let it Rain" with Clapton, who also recorded it, and "Never Ending Song
of Love," which was recorded by more than 100 artists including Ray Charles, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Patty Loveless and Dwight Yoakam.

During his career, he performed, co-wrote or recorded with stars such as Jimi
Hendrix, Janis Joplin, John Lennon, Dave Mason, Billy Preston, the Everly Brothers
and Mac Davis. He also produced artists including Etta James and Elvin Bishop.

He recently released an album, "A New Kind of Blues," on independent label Magnolia
Gold Records.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know Delaney and Billy Burnette co-wrote several songs together, so I'm sure that he's feeling the loss deeply too.

Matt
Old 12-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great musician. May he rest in piece.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

God, I feel sick. He was one of my biggest heroes. I think I'm gonna have a tear and listen to Motel Shot.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[I love the quote from Bekka about seeing her parents perform together again]

The Tennessean, December 28, 2008

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ENT01/81228012

Singer-songwriter-producer Delaney Bramlett, who penned such classic rock songs as “Let it Rain” and worked with musicians George Harrison and Eric Clapton, has died. He was 69.

Mr. Bramlett died Saturday in Los Angeles as a result of complications from gallbladder surgery, his wife Susan Lanier-Bramlett said.

Born in Mississippi, Mr. Bramlett enjoyed a career in the music business that spanned 50 years. With then-wife Bonnie Bramlett, he created the Southern blues-rock band Delaney & Bonnie & Friends. The group opened for Blind Faith, which featured British guitarist Clapton, in 1969.

The Bramletts divorced in 1973, and Bonnie now lives in Nashville. The couple did not work together again until the new century, when they joined daughter Bekka Bramlett for a performance at Nashville club 3rd & Lindsley.

By then, Mr. Bramlett was firmly established as an inspiration, collaborator and friend to numerous Nashville-area musicians.

His songs have been recorded by Tennesseans including The Everly Brothers, Crystal Gayle, the duo of Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn, Lester Flatt, Ray Stevens, Dickey Lee and LynnMarie.

And he wrote songs with Music City luminaries Leon Russell, Gary Nicholson, Steve Cropper, Billy Burnette and Dennis Morgan.

In Nashville, Bonnie Bramlett is a vital force as a solo performer and harmony singer. Daughter Bekka spent four years touring as part of Fleetwood Mac and has become one of Nashville’s in-demand vocalists and songwriters.

She is a favorite vocalist of Alison Krauss, Vince Gill and others, and she has written songs for recording artists including Faith Hill, Wynonna, Gretchen Wilson and Tracy Nelson.

Upon bringing her parents together to perform with her in 2002, Bekka Bramlett told The Tennessean, “They haven’t sung together since I was like 12. I’m flipping out, I’m so happy.”

Mr. Bramlett is perhaps best known for standards such as “Superstar,” co-written with Leon Russell. It was recorded by Usher, Luther Vandross, Bette Midler, The Carpenters and most recently, Sonic Youth, in a version featured on the Grammy-nominated soundtrack of the movie Juno.

He co-wrote “Let it Rain” with Clapton, who also recorded it, and “Never Ending Song of Love,” which was recorded by more than 100 artists including Ray Charles, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Patty Loveless and Dwight Yoakam.

During his career, Mr. Bramlett performed, co-wrote or recorded with stars such as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, John Lennon, Dave Mason, Billy Preston and Mac Davis. He also produced artists including Etta James and Elvin Bishop.

He recently released an album, A New Kind of Blues, on independent label Magnolia Gold Records.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry to hear about his loss my prayers and sympathy go out to Bekka and The Bramlett Family at this time of sorrow of a legendary man may he rest in peace

Steve