User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
No Rhiannon songs is a colossal disappointment for me. But maybe I am the only one.
We should just be grateful for the album/songs we get, and not be disappointed by the absence of what we personally wanted. It's impossible to please everyone. It's Stevie's artistic choices, not yours or mine. Let go of expectations, and it will all be fine. Find enjoyment in what it is, and not what you wanted it to be.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
With all the old polaroids and stuff, I wonder if it'll be an Exile on Main Street type cover, with several photos collaged together. Speaking of which, how cool would it be if Dave Stewart worked out a duet with Stevie & Mick Jagger (who he also produces)? I can dream, right?
I think you're right! I'm totally getting a "patchwork" vibe about the cover...especially since these songs have been around for a long time. I'd be willing to bet money that they will use several old pics for the cover.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 08-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
We should just be grateful for the album/songs we get, and not be disappointed by the absence of what we personally wanted. It's impossible to please everyone. It's Stevie's artistic choices, not yours or mine. Let go of expectations, and it will all be fine. Find enjoyment in what it is, and not what you wanted it to be.
BUT, DADDY, I WANT AN OMPAH LOOMPAH NOW!!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
BUT, DADDY, I WANT AN OMPAH LOOMPAH NOW!!!!
Now when an artist who is well known to have a particularly obsessive fan base records an album that seems to be aimed at said fan base you know it is going to release our inner Veruca Salts.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
I think you're right! I'm totally getting a "patchwork" vibe about the cover...especially since these songs have been around for a long time. I'd be willing to bet money that they will use several old pics for the cover.
Even though these songs were written a long time ago, they are new recordings and no different than the "vault" songs that turn up on every album. That's why I'm really hoping for a new and modern photo for the cover....to see the woman who is singing these songs today. An old photo or a collage of old photos will make it even more likely for casual fans to mistake this for a greatest hits or compilation album; the title alone is misleading enough.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Even though these songs were written a long time ago, they are new recordings and no different than the "vault" songs that turn up on every album. That's why I'm really hoping for a new and modern photo for the cover....to see the woman who is singing these songs today. An old photo or a collage of old photos will make it even more likely for casual fans to mistake this for a greatest hits or compilation album; the title alone is misleading enough.
Several interviews I read, like this one, market it as an "alternative greatest hits." I think they want people to draw that conclusion.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Several interviews I read, like this one, market it as an "alternative greatest hits." I think they want people to draw that conclusion.

Ummmm OK. If that's the angle they want to go with fine with me, but I feel that's incredibly inaccurate. A very small portion of the population has heard any of these songs. And an even smaller portion has heard most to all of them. And then there's the fact that I'm sure AT LEAST half of these songs should sound very different to what we know especially if a song like secret love is an indication. Hell of just the 3 very small clips we've gotten only starshine sounds like a straight ahead recreation of the demo we know. 24KG sounded very different. And the third clip not one fan can identify. So either it's brand new or Dave and Stevie have drastically altered a song we all know.

So yea, to market this as any kind of "greatest hits" I feel is very false.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Some articles like this one may have described it as such, but I haven't heard Stevie, Dave, or anyone else describe it as such. Nor did the press release give me that impression.

That said, the "Songs From the Vault" title certainly could create a misimpression like that.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Ummmm OK. If that's the angle they want to go with fine with me, but I feel that's incredibly inaccurate. A very small portion of the population has heard any of these songs. And an even smaller portion has heard most to all of them. And then there's the fact that I'm sure AT LEAST half of these songs should sound very different to what we know especially if a song like secret love is an indication. Hell of just the 3 very small clips we've gotten only starshine sounds like a straight ahead recreation of the demo we know. 24KG sounded very different. And the third clip not one fan can identify. So either it's brand new or Dave and Stevie have drastically altered a song we all know.

So yea, to market this as any kind of "greatest hits" I feel is very false.
I think it's basically a new type of compilation. I don't know of an artist who's done something like this before. I've heard of artists reinterpreting their greatest hits (like that Bon Jovi disaster), or doing acoustic versions of their favorite (The Black Crowes), or compiling previously released rarities (e.g. Indigo Girls), or remastering existing demos to append to a best of (Like the band Live), but I've never heard of anyone taking old demos and making a compilation album by re-recording them and bringing them to full realization. Does anyone else know of one? While I agree that I wouldn't choose to market it as a greatest hits, it is sort of a compilation, that's very much driven by the times. If the internet didn't exist, this album would not likely happen, because Stevie would have to participate in tape trades to get copies of her own songs!

I do think it's legitimate to call this a compilation. Even though they're re-recorded, they're from very different periods in her career. I wouldn't mind modern photos either, but she's clearly on the "old polaroids" kick, so I would be less surprised by that. Maybe we'll get both?
Old 08-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
And the third clip not one fan can identify. So either it's brand new or Dave and Stevie have drastically altered a song we all know.
I love the sound of this.

Quote:
If the internet didn't exist, this album would not likely happen, because Stevie would have to participate in tape trades to get copies of her own songs!
I'm convinced you are a past banned Ledgie who reinvented yourself into this new, fabulous person who writes with such confidence. Either way I'm glad to have you here. Welcome!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I'm convinced you are a past banned Ledgie who reinvented yourself into this new, fabulous person who writes with such confidence. Either way I'm glad to have you here. Welcome!
Lol. Thanks? To my recollection, I never tried to sign up for a Ledge account. I know I lurked several times over the years, though. I finally decided I wanted to have fun and be a fanboy for this album, in case it's the last one.

Also, as a grad student, any compliments (or criticisms) to my writing are greatly appreciated, so thanks a ton for the confidence comment.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Do you think the real tracklist might get posted in a new thread when it surfaces? I would like this. Anyone else agree?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlynow View Post
Do you think the real tracklist might get posted in a new thread when it surfaces? I would like this. Anyone else agree?
YES.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlynow View Post
I was going to update the "24KG ~ what we know versus what we don't know" thread whenever the official tracklist was released, so that we could all discuss the songs.

But we can also start a new thread too.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Surely we are all entitled to want what we want. I am one who craves a certain type of Stevie song. I hope for that on this new release. No apologies.