Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Woman of a Thousand Years Live

Several months ago, I was floored to see a live video of the band playing Lay it All Down on British television in 1971. Someone has now posted Woman of a Thousand Years from that same appearance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ZHn...eature=related

It's a great performance by Kirwan and the rest of the band.

Apparently, Christine also played Show Me a Smile in that micro-set. If someone out there has it PLEASE post it. PLEASE! I've been looking for it for years and years.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No, I'm afraid this is not a real TV performance. The audio on this is a live bootleg recording from Sindelfingen, Germany 1972.
They've just cut and mixed the video footage from "Lay It All Down" (Beat Club 1971) to fit the music.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Good catch. I think there is a TV performance somewhere of SMAS though (but I'm guessing it's from a US TV show) because I think Stevie was quoted in the Samuel Graham book about what she new about FM before she joined and she said she remembered seeing them do SMAS on TV and she thought it was nice Christine was in the band or something like that. So hopefully that will surface someday for it's historical value.

John
Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
No, I'm afraid this is not a real TV performance. The audio on this is a live bootleg recording from Sindelfingen, Germany 1972.
They've just cut and mixed the video footage from "Lay It All Down" (Beat Club 1971) to fit the music.
Yeah, I spotted that on YouTube a couple of weeks ago, but it was pretty easy to tell the video was just edited from "Lay It All Down" as dansven wrote.

I've always figured there must be a lot more old video of the band that is just sitting around someplace. - where is it?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Ah good catch! I should have known it was too good to be true.

I'm still wishing I could see that Show Me a Smile tv performance. I remember Stevie mentioning it in that book, too.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Ah good catch! I should have known it was too good to be true.

I'm still wishing I could see that Show Me a Smile tv performance. I remember Stevie mentioning it in that book, too.
I wonder if that was accurate or if it was a misquote from Stevie or the person doing the interview. The questions I have about this are 1) wouldn't a video of a young Christine McVie singing "Show Me A Smile" on television have been put up by now and 2) were these European shows broadcast in the United States at that time? I could see "Believe Me" from Midnight Special or "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love" from Don Kirshner, since they were broadcast in the United States.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
wouldn't a video of a young Christine McVie singing "Show Me A Smile" on television have been put up by now
I don't know a thing about this particular performance, but there's a lot of old TV video that we know about from various sources but has never been seen since the original broadcast.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I don't know a thing about this particular performance, but there's a lot of old TV video that we know about from various sources but has never been seen since the original broadcast.
Oh, I know.

My understanding is that they supposedly played "Show Me A Smile" at this particular taping. It would make sense in that each singer would do a song. However, I find it odd that the only two songs from this taping that have been released on DVD and are up on YouTube are the ones featuring Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch on lead vocals. No disrespect to those guys (as I love them and those songs dearly), but wouldn't it make more sense that the song by the biggest star between the three (Christine) have been out by now?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, I know.

My understanding is that they supposedly played "Show Me A Smile" at this particular taping. It would make sense in that each singer would do a song. However, I find it odd that the only two songs from this taping that have been released on DVD and are up on YouTube are the ones featuring Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch on lead vocals. No disrespect to those guys (as I love them and those songs dearly), but wouldn't it make more sense that the song by the biggest star between the three (Christine) have been out by now?
Is there a video from a Danny Kirwan song from this performance? We've discussed that the "Woman Of 1000 Years" clip is fake - it's just edited from the "Lay It All Down" clip, with audio from a different performance.

I would not expect "make more sense" to have the slightest bearing on whether a video clip shows up on the web.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Is there a video from a Danny Kirwan song from this performance?
Yep. Dragonfly

Quote:
I would not expect "make more sense" to have the slightest bearing on whether a video clip shows up on the web.
I would, at least from a sales/marketing perspective.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah, Dragonfly. I'd always assumed those were from different performances but you're right, SteveMacD - clearly from the same one. I'd never watched both back to back before. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
two songs from this taping that have been released on DVD
What DVD is the Lay It All Down performance from this show on?

John
Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
What DVD is the Lay It All Down performance from this show on?
I could be wrong on that. I just saw the graphics at the beginning were similar to the one on the DVD that has "Dragonfly" and assumed it was on DVD.