The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope/wish someone would contact Mick about Bob and have him speak to his time in Fleetwood Mac. The whole Penguin/Mystery To Me period isn't as well documented as it should be.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's terrible. He was a wonderful addition to FM's legacy. Rest in peace, Bob.

You know, they're all reaching that age now, where we'll probably start losing some of them more regularly.
Bob was only 64! He had many more years to live. He was a great musician, and I wish his tenure with Fleetwood Mac would have lasted longer than it did. That was a great line-up, except for Dave Walker.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-08-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There are a number of obits popping up online. This one is accompanied by a great picture of Weston.

http://www.spinner.com/2012/01/06/bo...mac-dead-dies/
Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh man. RIP Bob. My condolences to his family.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Telegraph.co.uk, January 9, 2012
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...ob-Weston.html

Bob Weston

Bob Weston, who has died aged 64, played lead guitar with Fleetwood Mac in the early 1970s, but lasted only a year before being unceremoniously sacked for having an affair with Mick Fleetwood’s wife; he thus missed out on the opportunity to feature in what became the most commercially successful rock group of the era.

Weston’s fall from grace was one of the more pedestrian dramas to have afflicted the band’s line-up over the years. Named after the drummer, Mick Fleetwood, and bass guitarist John McVie, Fleetwood Mac initially featured the great Peter Green on lead guitar, and had its first No 1 single in 1969 with Albatross.

But Green began to binge on LSD, and left the band in 1970; the following year, during an American tour, his fellow guitarist Jeremy Spencer walked out of his hotel in Los Angeles to go shopping and never returned — he had joined a religious group called The Children of God. A third guitarist, Danny Kirwan, was fired in autumn 1972, to be replaced by Weston.

Weston featured on the album Penguin (1973), playing lead guitar alongside Bob Welch . He also sang with Christine McVie on Did You Ever Love Me, and wrote the instrumental Caught in the Rain. On the album Mystery to Me, he co-wrote the track Forever.

It was while the band was touring America in late 1973 that Weston was discovered to be having an affair with Mick Fleetwood’s wife, Jenny Boyd. After the band’s performance at Lincoln, Nebraska, Weston was fired and the remainder of the tour cancelled. Weston later recalled: “I got a phone call early one morning, about eight. I hadn’t even had a cup of tea. Next thing, there’s a knock at the door, and the entire road crew was standing there. They were all looking daggers at me, very menacing, all broken noses and scars ... It was horrible seeing all those lads with whom I’d worked so happily emanating such a lot of hostility towards me.” The group’s manager, Clifford Davis, attempted to recruit an entirely new set of musicians to complete the tour under the name Fleetwood Mac, leading to a prolonged legal wrangle.

With both Weston and Welch gone (Welch left in December 1974), Fleetwood, McVie and McVie’s wife Christine Perfect then recruited Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks to form the line-up that in 1977 would create the album Rumours, which sold more than 40 million copies.

Weston, meanwhile, picked up his career and toured with the blues veteran Alexis Korner. He also featured on the album Say It Ain’t So (1975) by Murray Head, star of Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar.

Robert Joseph Weston was born in Plymouth on November 1 1947. Initially he was taught violin, but at the age of 12 decided to switch to guitar. Arriving in London in the mid-Sixties, he joined a group called The Kinetic, which recorded an album and supported Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix at concerts in France. In 1970 Weston became part of the backing group of the blues singer Long John Baldry, touring Europe and the United States (sometimes appearing on the same bill as Fleetwood Mac) as well as playing on Baldry’s album Everything Stops for Tea (1972).

Weston made three solo albums, Nightlight (1980), Studio Picks (1981) and There’s a Heaven (1999). Latterly he had written and arranged music for film and television.

The dramas surrounding Fleetwood Mac did not end with Weston’s departure. Christine McVie had affairs with the band’s lighting director and the Beach Boy Dennis Wilson; Stevie Nicks, meanwhile, had affairs with both Joe Walsh and Don Henley of The Eagles. John McVie suffered an alcohol-induced seizure and was arrested for possession of firearms.

Mick Fleetwood went bankrupt after a series of disastrous property ventures; he and Jenny Boyd divorced, remarried, then divorced again.

Bob Weston, who had been due to record with the former Rolling Stone Mick Taylor, was found dead in his London flat by the police after friends had been unable to contact him for several days. A post-mortem revealed that he died from a gastrointestinal haemorrhage.

Bob Weston, born November 1 1947, found dead on January 3 2012
Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Are there any bootleg shows from the Bob Weston era of the band? I have shows from every era except that one! Strange, isn't it?

From the clips of Miles Away and Remember Me (from Midnight Special performances, I think), it looks they a really gave a great, strong live show.

At the very least, I'd love to know their set lists.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Are there any bootleg shows from the Bob Weston era of the band? I have shows from every era except that one! Strange, isn't it?

From the clips of Miles Away and Remember Me (from Midnight Special performances, I think), it looks they a really gave a great, strong live show.

At the very least, I'd love to know their set lists.
Bob Welch had a long clip of them doing Black Magic Woman, but the sound quality wasn't very good.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...c-6287377.html
Bob Weston: Early '70s guitarist with Fleetwood Mac

Pierre Perrone Monday 09 January 2012

Originally a British blues boom band led by Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer, Fleetwood Mac were at something of a crossroads by September 1972. The founder-member and drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie – the rhythm section the group was named after – had added McVie's wife, the keyboard-player and singer Christine McVie, formerly of Chicken Shack, and Bob Welch, an American vocalist and guitarist, but felt they needed a pedigree soloist able to recreate the contrasting guitar styles of his predecessors, particularly the slide playing of Spencer, for concert engagements.

Fleetwood and the McVies recalled witnessing Bob Weston's versatility as an accompanist with both Graham Bond and Long John Baldry and recruited him, along with the singer and harmonica-player Dave Walker, an alumnus of Savoy Brown, another British blues outfit.

"Dave and I joined on the same day, we were the new boys," Weston remembered. "It looked very promising from the start. Initial rehearsals were full of energy. This was further endorsed with the initial Norwegian tour. Then the Penguin sessions began, and so did the doubts."

However, while Walker's tenure only lasted until June 1973, including the making of the Penguin album, the band's first Top 50 entry in the US, Weston was a sterling contributor to both Penguin and Mystery To Me, the next Fleetwood Mac album, released in October 1973, and seemed to be fitting in well with the smoother radio-friendly direction of the group's then primary composers, Welch and Christine McVie. "I deferred to their talents, I was the baby writer, just starting out," said Weston, who created "Caught In The Rain", Penguin's ethereal closer, and co-wrote "Forever" with Welch and John McVie on Mystery To Me.

"Both of those albums were a blast to be involved in," he said. "It seemed I'd been building up for years to hit this zenith. Bullseye! In addition, it was a wonderful opportunity to tour America on a very professional level. I learned a lot." Unfortunately, during a run of US dates in the autumn of 1973, Weston embarked on an affair with Fleetwood's wife Jenny Boyd, who confessed everything to her husband and left the tour with their children. The band tried to put this setback behind them and continue with their itinerary but eventually Fleetwood snapped and Weston was dismissed in Lincoln, Nebraska.

"I had an early morning call from the tour manager, John Courage, insisting I come up to his room," said Weston. "I was greeted with an air of hostility by the crew chiefs of lighting, sound, etc. The tour manager told me very simply that the tour was cancelled. Mick had already left for Africa, John and Christine for London. Obviously, it was a fait accompli. I was handed a plane ticket and driven to the nearest airport. I didn't see any of the band between waking up and getting on the plane." It was, he admitted, "the most expensive affair I've ever had in my life. Cost me a career, that did."

In fact, the incident nearly did for Fleetwood Mac as well, as their unscrupulous manager Clifford Davis argued that he owned the band's trademark and hastily assembled a bogus line-up to pick up the dates. This was foiled by Courage and led to a lengthy legal battle which put the real group out of commission for nearly a year.

When Welch also exited, Fleetwood reorganised the band with the addition of the singing and songwriting duo Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks in 1975, and Fleetwood Mac entered the multi-million selling, superstar era of Rumours and Tango In The Night that Weston had been the unwitting catalyst for. Nevertheless, Welch and Weston's contribution during the so-called "bridge era" of the group's storied career is held in high regard by their fans.

Weston, who was left-handed but played right-handed, attributed his distinctive style to the fact that he played the violin first, switching to the guitar when he was 12. "The fingers were already mobile," he said. "My influences were the great blues masters, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy and sidemen such as Hubert Sumlin."

After moving to London in the mid-1960s, Weston joined The Kinetic, one of several British groups working in France, where they released an album in 1967 and supported Jimi Hendrix and Chuck Berry in Paris. Following his return to the UK, Weston had stints with the singers Aliki Ashman, Graham Bond and Long John Baldry, with whom he recorded the album Everything Stops For Tea produced by the Baldry acolytes Elton John and Rod Stewart in 1972.

He later worked with Dana Gillespie, Sandy Denny and Murray Head, who he backed on the Say It Ain't So and Between Us albums, and on French tours. In the early '80s Weston issued two solo albums in France and composed music for films and television. He died of a gastrointestinal haemorrhage and cirrhosis of the liver.

Robert Joseph Weston, guitarist and songwriter: born 1 November 1947; died London c. 3 January 2012.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just re-read the extensive Q & A Bob conducted on The Ledge. He was very articulate, and very patient and thorough in addressing and answering lengthy questions. He comes off as a genuinely nice, smart guy.

His comments about visiting with Christine and Mick during their flush of success during the Rumours era gave me some pause. The endearing qualities of their personalities he knew when he worked with them were gone. He described them as "aloof."

I find that rather sad and disappointing. I won't pass judgement on Chris and Mick, because I'm sure their circumstances - the pressure of success, responsiblites and demands - changed and hardened them. Still, I feel bad that Bob wasn't feeling a friendly vibe from his former bandmates.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-10-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, Bob was a left-handed Scorpio--like me. I knew I liked him for more than his great looks.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I was thinking along those same lines!! Very sorry to hear this about Bob Weston. My thoughts are with his friends and family.
I just talked to Bob about 2-3 months ago...We kept in regular touch...There was no
"inkling", last time we talked that there was anything wrong...But ....at our age.......

Bob WAS a wonderful guy, funny, and a very good guitar player....Like I was with John Carter's death.........I was not prepared for Bob to go in his 60's. Love to you Bob!!! !....On the "astral" plane ;-)

Bob Welch
Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by missus View Post
I just talked to Bob about 2-3 months ago...We kept in regular touch...There was no
"inkling", last time we talked that there was anything wrong...But ....at our age.......

Bob WAS a wonderful guy, funny, and a very good guitar player....Like I was with John Carter's death.........I was not prepared for Bob to go in his 60's. Love to you Bob!!! !....On the "astral" plane ;-)

Bob Welch
Bob, let's hope for many more years, for you and the rest of the Mac family!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's Weston with the Kinetic

Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's Weston with Murray Head

Old 01-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a recent live clip.